• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnhntr
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

New build with some ?

Sorry for the long first post. I am building a complete rifle for my son (9yr old) and an upper for me. I have built several ARs in the past all have been 5.56 rifles.
    The first one for the kid will be mainly for hunting deer and coyotes and some 600yds league shooting. I ordered a Black Hole Weaponry 20in, 264lbc, barrel and the lady on the phone said they will do either chamber, type 1 (.125) or type 2 (.135) but they recommend type 1. The company next door sells the bolts and they will walk one over to the BHW shop and it will be head spaced and shipped together. That sounded good so I ordered both. I selected a 1-9twist, light weight profile, rifle length gas system, with 5/8x 24 threads. I am using a Bushmaster lower, Aero Precision upper, Giessele Trigger, and Magpul furniture.
    My upper will be a 24in barrel and if the BHW barrel shoots well I will probably order another from them. I will use an Aero Precision upper as they have been good on my other builds.
    What are some suggestions for a flash hider? Should I use a heavy buffer? I will think of other questions I am sure.
  • tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

JP Bennie Cooley or recoil eliminator (kinda big but works great)

Comment

• tackdriver
      Warrior
      • Feb 2013

Is your sons barrel going to be ss finish or blk?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

For a hunting rifle, I would strongly recommend against the JP Bennie Cooley brake. Permanent hearing loss will happen, sometimes even for bystanders who are wearing ear pro. A simple flash hider is fine on a 20" barrel. The guns don't move much at all, and your son will be able to spot his own hits with practice.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mnhntr
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
          Is your sons barrel going to be ss finish or blk?
          Black shot peen finish

Comment

• mnhntr
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            For a hunting rifle, I would strongly recommend against the JP Bennie Cooley brake. Permanent hearing loss will happen, sometimes even for bystanders who are wearing ear pro. A simple flash hider is fine on a 20" barrel. The guns don't move much at all, and your son will be able to spot his own hits with practice.
            He is quite a bit ahead of his peers when it comes to shooting and hunting. I am former military and currently teach various firearms classes so he has firearms safety constantly in his ears. He can spot and call hits better than some adults. He is currently learning mil equations but has not gotten it fully.

Comment

• danm
              Warrior
              • Aug 2014

I've got the SAA Dragons head linear comp on my 5.56 and 6.5 uppers and really like them.

Comment

• mnhntr
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2014

Got an email the BHW barrel will arrive Friday and the lower parts kit and reloading components came in so it is in the process. What brand of adjustable gas blocks are you guys using?

Comment

Working...
                X