• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Pics of my buck kills

I wanted to share a couple of pics of the deer I killed this season on our family property this season. Keep in mind we are hunting wrp planted to trees 5 years ago; basically a 200 acre weed patch. If you aren't' on your toes you may not get a shot.

The first buck was killed the evening of 12/25; a lot of ground shrinkage on this one, 98"er. He only weighed 160# and would have been a good one next year.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This one was killed last Saturday evening. He ran 50 yds and crashed (upside down) in knee deep water, 35 degree cold. I was by myself so I took off my new boots and waded out to get him. I knew he was a decent buck but had no idea he was this good until I rolled him over. Only 198#but scored 132 1/4; kinda run down from the rut.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Both these taken with my AA 16" grendel with 123sst's at 160 and 170 yds respectfully.

This is the last weekend of rifle season so if I shoot another buck my bar is really high.

See explanation on page two
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by rabiddawg; 01-21-2015, 12:33 PM.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail
  • Nick
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Looks like a pretty good season. Doesn't get much better off a basket than the second has got. Nice shooting

Comment

• Savage Shooter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Two bucks like that on a "200 acre weed patch", that's family owned, no less!? Wow! It doesn't get much better than that. Now if you have some hogs and a 'yote or two on that property and have a 6.5 Grendel, that's pretty close to being in heaven.
      My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

Nice job!
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Nice harvests, and thanks for sharing.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

Yeah, i get down on the place for not producing better bucks or seeing more racks, but we are actually over populated with doe. I cant get it thru to our neighbors that we need help shooting does. My family usually kills 8-10 does off this place each year. Therefore, our bucks really dont have to compete or chase.

Im proud of the second one. He is the first one i will ever shoulder mount and im 47. I set my bar high in the begining.

Mark Twain

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

r dawg- pm me -Our 3 man crew can help on doe problems. We have a need for venny- here- Stan C , & rickoshay are waiting on a shipment of my custom summer sausage !
              I'm all out from last years meatfest.

Nice bucks, btw. Good post dude. Great hunts, man !

That's a nice wall hanger!

Comment

• olde sarge
                Warrior
                • May 2014

Around here that second buck would be a sure enough bragger. We have had special regulations for a couple of years now that are supposed to grow larger bucks but you couldn't prove that it is working by asking me. Thanks for the pictures. John

Comment

• 65Whelen
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Very nice. TWO nice bucks, got to say I'm jealous as hell no venison for me this year but I glad to see someones doing well. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Sniper338
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Crazy how much of a difference it makes in body weights from one area to the next... our doe's down here weigh 70-82lbs dressed and bucks weigh 90-120 dressed.... body size wise yalls deer are double what ours are.... but our antlers are double what yours are haha

Comment

• rabiddawg
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2013

The heaviest deer i have killed was 238 pounds. Because he had a injured leg one side of his rack was smaller than the other. He only scored 125".

I heard one of our neighbors killed a 275 pound 7 point this year.

And im concerned because our deer dont have the "fat" they use to.

Mark Twain

Comment

• kbarnes12
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Sniper338 View Post
                        Crazy how much of a difference it makes in body weights from one area to the next... our doe's down here weigh 70-82lbs dressed and bucks weigh 90-120 dressed.... body size wise yalls deer are double what ours are.... but our antlers are double what yours are haha
                        The place I hunt had been in CRP grass for the last 20 years or so, and this year the grass was taken out and soy beans planted. The deer I shot this year were much heavier than in previous years, the live weight was over 250lbs.
                        sigpic
                        Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

sniper, in Minnesota that last deer would weigh around 230-260.

Comment

• jawbone
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2012

"knee deep water, 35 degree cold. I was by myself so I took off my new boots and waded out to get him." <------ yessir, that there is a hunter.
                            and many thanks for sharing, RD.

Comment

• Sniper338
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Yep.... its crazy how much the variety of plants makes a difference in nutrition for body weight and antlers... got your protein plants and your fat plants i guess haha

Comment

Working...
                              X