Who actually uses the SAAMI reamer on AR barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smokinghole
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Who actually uses the SAAMI reamer on AR barrels?

I've spend the last week or so reading and reading about chambers for the grendel. There are just a handful of barrel makers out there that I can tell. The following list is not just SAAMI, includes .264lbc.

Kreiger
    Bartlein
    Lilja (confirmed SAAMI?)
    Brownells (Saturn?)
    Black Hole Weaponry (confirmed LBC me thinks)
    DEZ (?)
    Sabre (some leftovers out there)

I'm sure there might be others but this is what I have book marks for through my searches. So as much as I'd like to have a SAAMI chamber I am highly drawn to BHW barrels plus they're on sale right now making it even more attractive. I believe I read on here that Lilja is confirmed to use the SAAMI chamber. I believe most of the barrels out there are just "Grendel II" which we know isn't SAAMI. I went on Pacific Tool and they have three reamers called Grendel. There is "Grendel", "Grendel SAAMI", and "Grendel II (better than SAAMI)". The "Grendel" picture (if accurate representation) looks nothing like the other two. Of course the other two have no measurements listed.

I had emailed BHW and they say their reamer says both. So I assume that if it's SAAMI it wouldn't say .264LBC also. Plus they are selling it as .264lbc. So as close as I am to putting in an order while thy are 20% off, I am hesitant. I can get exactly what I want (except the SAAMI) cerakoted for $240. That's half the price of a bare SS Lilja (read wanting to Cerakote also) so you can see where I'm coming from maybe. I doubt I'd shoot lighter rounds and if I'm limited to what the chamber was designed to shoot then so be it. I will be reloading this in the future.

If there's a reputable barrel maker out that that I can get reasonable accuracy out of that doesn't cost $500+ and a bolt, I'd be a happy guy. If that is a unrealistic desire in also wanting a SAAMI chamber then I guess I'll just have to spend the extra money.

What says the horde? Am I chasing my tale looking for a nice deal on a SAAMI chamber? I know I can just go buy an upper from AA but I want to build it with certain parts because I can.
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

If they're using a Manson Reamer, there's 99% chance they're true SAAMI. Just ask them to make sure they do when you buy the barrel.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• jurassic
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I think you will have to spend more to get the SAAMI chamber right now. Brownells and BHW will not have it, and Sabre barrels are almost non-existent unless you buy used. Shilen is probably your best bet and they come with a bolt, but I have not seen anyone on the forum lately that did not have the DCM version bought from Midway. Mark at PF may be able to help you.

Comment

• smokinghole
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2015

I emailed Mark at PF. I find this chamber variant BS highly annoying. It seems the SAAMI chamber barrel makers are outnumbered by Grendel variant barrel makers. Screw it, what's $200 right? I'm about to refinance my house and that will be a month's savings right there. : )

Comment

• smokinghole
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2015

Red X has Grendel uppers right now. Pretty cheap too. They appear to be non-SAAMI chambers though. Plus their only 14.5 and 16" models. I'm just waiting to hear from PF about options other than those listed on the site. I'm still very tempted to say "f it" and buy the BHW chambered for a AA bolt. I don't forsee me shooting light bullets or super heavy. If it fits in a mag that's what I'll buy and reload for....not sure if that's too much of a simplistic way to view this all.

Comment

• jurassic
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Several on here have had the Sabre barrels and not had any problems, why would you think they are not SAAMI chambers? I don't remember seeing anything in the description stating otherwise. Also those barrels are more than a few years old.

The upper is probably the cheapest way to get into a Grendel unless someone gives one to you.

I stand corrected.... the description says Grendel II. I don't remember seeing that when I bought the barrel last year.
            Last edited by jurassic; 01-20-2015, 04:44 PM. Reason: Corrected information

Comment

• jurassic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
              Red X has Grendel uppers right now. Pretty cheap too. They appear to be non-SAAMI chambers though. Plus their only 14.5 and 16" models. I'm just waiting to hear from PF about options other than those listed on the site. I'm still very tempted to say "f it" and buy the BHW chambered for a AA bolt. I don't forsee me shooting light bullets or super heavy. If it fits in a mag that's what I'll buy and reload for....not sure if that's too much of a simplistic way to view this all.
              The description says Grendel II for the barrel, but it may mean the bolt type.

Comment

• smokinghole
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2015

Yep. I was thinking that but want ti be sure. I am not looking for cheapest but a good balance of affordability and function. Though I am also very tempted by the redx deal.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                  The description says Grendel II for the barrel, but it may mean the bolt type.
                  No Grendel II is a designation Satern uses for a chamber that is NOT SAAMI Spec.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by smokinghole View Post
                    I emailed Mark at PF. I find this chamber variant BS highly annoying. It seems the SAAMI chamber barrel makers are outnumbered by Grendel variant barrel makers. Screw it, what's $200 right? I'm about to refinance my house and that will be a month's savings right there. : )
                    In rack grade barrels it seems this is true. However, the SAAMI Chamber is still king in the Match Grade barrels.

AA, PF, Lilja, JP (I think), etc....

Comment

• smokinghole
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2015

This cloudy chamber BS might just drive me towards another caliber completely. I didnt think buying a barrel woukd be so difficult nor so expensive compared to other calibers. Sure they dont have the distance or performance that drew me to the grendel but I will not likely be fortunate enough to stretch this caliber's legs in my area.

Depending on what I hear from Mark this desire to build a grendel AR may be dead in the water for a while.

Comment

• chase
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2015

so what is my Bartlein barrel from PF. SAAMI are what . And help me to under stand what the difference is ? I hope it is not shit

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

I'd consider a BHW barrel if it weren't for the fact that they head space to a .125 bolt. I've never inquired if they'd head space to .136 if I provided the bolt.
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                            I'd consider a BHW barrel if it weren't for the fact that they head space to a .125 bolt. I've never inquired if they'd head space to .136 if I provided the bolt.
                            They do, indeed.
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by chase View Post
                              so what is my Bartlein barrel from PF. SAAMI are what . And help me to under stand what the difference is ? I hope it is not shit
                              If its from Precision Firearms it most likely is SAAMI, call Mark and ask?

Comment

Working...
                              X