• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GarandThumb
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

6.5 G Primers

My hornady reloading manual shows Winchester small rifle primers. I've seen elsewhere that some were using small magnum rifle primers.

What is the consensus?

I use CCI 400s for my 223 loads.

Thanks!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Magnum primers get good reviews on this forum since they have thicker cups which are less like to fire upon chambering a round with an AR-15 floating firing pin. I have used Remington small rifle primers in the past without issue but I found CCI 450 magnum primers and CCI 41 primers and I'm currently using these two brands of primers in my AR-15's. A lot of forum members are using Match primers.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

CCI 450 or Wolf SRM. Cups are thicker, with less risk of slamfire.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Agreed - on bwaites post.

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

same as all above, thicker primers. I do however use CCI 400's when developing loads so that pressure signs may show quicker. Dont know it to b true, just my theory

Richard
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Joseph5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

I have used 450's and Rem 7.5.

Comment

• pkee
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2014

Using CCI 400 and CCI 450 without any problems . I use them mostly because thats whats on the shelves around my area .

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I see a ton of load data on 400cci, for the 5.56 round. I have never heard of a slam fire in my shooting AR talks with anyone local- or, on here.

The thicker cup of the cci 450, and the pricey BR4 cci primers ,,, & the wolf smr- are a safety zone - I guess. I found 600 wolf units in Duluth MN -at a tiny Elvis gun-fishing , store last year.

$ 2.29- per 100. Ummmm..... Have not shot them yet, I know Bill A & Bill W like them== that's a good enough recommend for me!

The tiny extra width of the cci-450- Br4 helps also to maybe get 1-3 extra loading from your brass...

Comment

• dsw0007
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2013

I use the CCI 450 in my load because I run a longer barrel with a slower burning powder and this primer seems (to me at least, though I admit that I'm a novice and am still figuring things out) to cause the powder to burn more consistantly and completely, resulting in slightly higher MV over non-magnum small rifle primers. All in all, my load development shows tighter groups and higher MV with the CCI 450 over the few others that I've tried. YMMV
                  No war is over until the enemy says it's over. We may think it's over, we may declare it's over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote. - Gen. James Mattis

Comment

• 65Whelen
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

I use the CCI 450 because all the initial load development done by Alexander Arms used the 450. AA developed the Grendel cartridge and is the benchmark for reloading the Grendel.

Comment

• BIPMaster
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

I use the CCI #450 as well. In my Prvi brass I just use a LR primer.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

If you look on Page 67 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook Volume II, it has all the recommended Small Rifle Primers for use in the Grendel.

It also lists the shell holders, detailed reloading procedures, brass prep, shoulder set back, necks, primer seating depth, scales, charging cases, seating bullets, RF interference considerations with electronic instruments, and troubleshooting your reloading process.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                        X