• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave102269
    Bloodstained
    • May 2013

Neck tension and Forster Bench Rest Sizing Die

I'm using the Forster Bench Rest Sizing Die for Grendel. Neck tension is very low. The weight of the press arm is almost enough to seat the bullet. Brass is Laupa once fired.

Would be OK with it if I was only shooting single shot, but am a little concerned to magazine feed and really don't want to crimp.

Anybody else have this problem??
  • bigbear_98
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

Is the Forster a bushing die? Do you have the proper size bushing in it?

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

dave, I have the Ultra set. Full length resizing die-no bushing. I think you have the same . I took the center stem out, chucked it into a drill, and using 1000, then 2000, and 3000 grit sandpaper- polished the egg shaped expander down a couple thous. I ended up around .261-2. diameter. Gives better neck tension. Just go a little at a time.

An auto crash repair site is where I got the sandpaper, schmooze up to the painter for some. The 3000 will shine it up nicely. Rubbing compound works great for the final shine too.

If your case mouths are not dinged- you can leave the stem out , and just outside size the brass also,, gives about 6-7 thous. of tension that way. I do this for some of the .263 bullets -older stuff- that I pick up at gun shows , here and there.

Comment

• dave102269
        Bloodstained
        • May 2013

Thanks for replies. Sneaky One is correct, it's not a bushing die. I spoke to Forster and they wanted the die and some fired brass to experiment with, so it's in the mail right now. If I get it back with the same issues I'll be polishing the expander ball down till neck tension feels right. Thanks for that suggestion.

Dave

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

dave- I forgot to ask if you measured the expander ball diam., before you sent it back. It will work out.

Comment

• dave102269
            Bloodstained
            • May 2013

Ball measured .263. Forster should have got the die yesterday. Will report back what is learned.

Thanks,
            Dave

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Hmmmmm,,,, they do offer the service of honing the inside of the die- body to the larger neck wall thickness of say, a Lapua- so you don't have to neck trim. Was this service done on your dies? If not, ask them to replace- start over, then hone on the expander as needed. I'll measure mine now, ooops, it's at 2.575. Mint.
              I honed this 6 years ago.- All is well here- I did pre pressure loads this year with same die---never a spike. And I'm on the leading edge of a fast powder! No problems at all.

You have your pathway now Grasshoppah! You will gain .006 of tension -just fine! Ask for stuff back, tweak them as needed!

Comment

• dave102269
                Bloodstained
                • May 2013

I got the die back from Forster. The included letter explained that they found some issues with the neck area of the die I sent them and they replaced it. Ran a few pieces of brass through the new die tonight. Bullet seating and resultant neck tension felt normal.

Thanks for the responses! Please see the new thread I'm about to start on a new issue.

Dave

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Sounds good, yet -felt normal mean s a nadda. What's your next thread?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

A .263" ball would only leave you .0005" of neck tension, which is probably why your ram arm was about enough to seat the bullets. Glad it got worked out.

I polished my ball expander as well, just to make it smooth instead of with a typical production finish on it.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X