• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwilkins
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Range Update from today

Set out today to work up a new load in 338 LM. Originally was pushing a 285 gr Hornady with 86.5 grains of H1000. Was getting 2715 fps out of a 30" tube measured with a Magnetospeed V3. New load testing was done with the same 285 gr Hornady but using Retumbo behind it. Started at 91 grains then 91.5, 92, 92.5 and lastly 93 grains.

Most other load development that I have done with other rounds normally has had some separation of noticeable distances in groupings with increase or decrease of powder amounts. That is what made today somewhat strange to me. All grouping are pretty tight. All though there is some separation in some of the groups, I attribute that primarily to the person behind the trigger.

All groups are three rounds rather than five, All are suppressed and at 100 yds. Guess I need to go back with the exact same loads and get data on them. None of the loads showed any signs of over pressurization.

Along with the 338 loads, I got some good numbers on my Grendel load that I have been using.

123 gr Scenars, Lapua brass, Wolf Magnum primers and 27.5 grains of 8208 seated to mag length was getting me 2560 fps out of a 24" tube. No pressure signs to show of. Think I could push it a little harder but the groupings are tight and all is working well. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Below are pics of the 338 build and test groups. Enjoy.

Last edited by mwilkins; 02-08-2015, 08:49 PM.
  • mwilkins
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Bottom left hole has two rounds through it.

Last edited by mwilkins; 01-26-2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Nice! Guess I better get some Retumbo loaded!

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Very nice indeed. I am envious.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
          Warrior
          • Dec 2013

Nice!

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Very nice!! That lapua is still asleep at 100, stretch it out with your best load and see what she'll do!! I'll bet you'll be impressed. What action is the LM built on?

Richard
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• mwilkins
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
              Very nice!! That lapua is still asleep at 100, stretch it out with your best load and see what she'll do!! I'll bet you'll be impressed. What action is the LM built on?

Richard
              Here is the build

Action - Stiller Tac338
              Trigger - Timney
              Barrel - Bartlein 30" 1.350" to 1" 1:9.5
              Suppressor - TBAC 338BA
              Scope - USO ER 5x25x58 w/20 moa base
              Rings - Seekins
              Chassis - AICS w/Viper Skins

All machine work done by Carlton Chapman of Precision Matters

Longest range I have near me is only 500 yds. Got to drive 2 hours to get a 1000
              Last edited by mwilkins; 01-27-2015, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Very nice!
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Sniper338
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Im working on a lapua i just got in as well... your wasting ammo at 100 yards. You need to shoot 600 to 1000 to test loads with it. 300 yards was even a waste for me... the boat tail bullets dont stabilize until 300 yards or so. So inside that you arent seeing accurate results. Ive ahot mine at 100 yards... any charge i use one holes at 100... but further out is where you can see qhat the bullet is doing... took me about 10 round to figure out its a waste to pull the trigger on anything inside 400 yards...

mines full custom too

Comment

• Sniper338
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

86 gr of h1000 is really low sounding... im narrowed down to 91.0 to 92.5 gr of h1000 with a 300gr bullet...

Comment

• mwilkins
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      Nice! Guess I better get some Retumbo loaded!
                      Here are some numbers from today. All captured by a Magnetospeed V3. I think I am liking Retumbo.

91 gr Retumbo
                      285 gr Hornady projectile
                      Lapua Brass
                      Fed 215 primer
                      Seated to mag length

Min 2799
                      Max 2827
                      Avg 2814
                      ES 28
                      SD 11.5

93 gr Retumbo
                      285 gr Hornady projectile
                      Lapua Brass
                      Fed 215 primer
                      Seated to mag length

Min 2869
                      Max 2882
                      Avg 2875
                      ES 13
                      SD 6.7

No signs of over pressurization and groups are nice and tight clover leafs. Going to try and slip out to a 1200 yrd range here in the next week or two if time and weather permitting to see if all the work holds up at longer distances.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Hi MW. How do you like your Magneto speed chrono? I have had mine about a year and it still draws attention at the range from people asking "What is it"?

Have you done any testing comparing the velocity reading from the Magnetospeed to a regular chronograph on the same shot? What affect on group sizes have you seen? (Trending larger or smaller)? How about point of impact changes with and without the bayonet sensor?
                        My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• mwilkins
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
                          Hi MW. How do you like your Magneto speed chrono? I have had mine about a year and it still draws attention at the range from people asking "What is it"?

Have you done any testing comparing the velocity reading from the Magnetospeed to a regular chronograph on the same shot? What affect on group sizes have you seen? (Trending larger or smaller)? How about point of impact changes with and without the bayonet sensor?
                          The Magnetospeed is great and was reminded of just how unique the technology is today as I had to help a gentleman at the range setup is ProChrony. It was damaged due to taking a hit from a round. His sun shade had to be taped into place so that he could get readings. Having to set that thing up in front of the bench also reminded me how much of a pain they can be. More and more people seem to recognize the MS but quite a few also ask what the hell that thing is. So yes, it draws attention.
                          Data from the old chrony that was borrowed was not kept from my old load data as I never trusted it. Group sizes and POI did not change with the MS attached to the 338 as it has a very heavy barrel. 1" at the crown. On the Grendel, only noticeable change was in POI and that was very minimal. No change in group sizes. Now that I have good load data on my current weapons, looks like I am going to have to build something new.

Comment

• PredatorDown
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by mwilkins View Post
                            Now that I have good load data on my current weapons, looks like I am going to have to build something new.
                            Words of wisdom right there!!!

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

I did a quick test last weekend and fired two 3-shot groups with the Bayonet mount and two 3-shot groups without the mount, using Hornady 123 gr. AMAX loads. I used OnTarget Software's program to accurately measure the distance of the group centers from POA and group sizes. The group sizes weren't great, but I was rushing at the end of the day in the fading light while the rangemaster was looking over my shoulder wanting to close down. The groups WITH the mount were 0.93 and 1.09 inches in size and the centers were within 0.15" vertically and .23" horizontally of each other, so fairly consistent in the same POI; the average of the two groups was 1.5" above POA and 1.1" left of POA. The groups WITHOUT the bayo mount (which were fired AFTER the groups with the mount) measured 1.62 and 1.12 inches and the centers were within .18" vertically and the same horizontally of each other - again, basically these two groups shot to the same POI as well; the average of these two groups WITHOUT the bayo was 1.1" below POA and 0.2 " left of POA.

Which means the groups WITH the Bayonet mounted were 2.6" higher and 0.9" left of the groups without the bayonet. Although this test involved a limited number of rounds fired, since the group sizes were reasonably tight and basically to the same POI within the same parameters, I consider the POI shift to be a REAL and significant difference at 100 yards.

If anyone else has similar experience with their Magnetospeed chrono, I'd be interested to know of your details.
                              My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

Working...
                              X