X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwilkins
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Got a chance to go stretch the legs just a bit on the 338 and the Grendel. Near my home town is a range called Top Gun. Not a very long range, only 500 yards. They require each shooter to quality at each range distance before shooting to the next longer distance. Previously the Grendel had only been taken out to 300 yards but yesterday, I qualified all the way out to 500 yards. It was an interesting day for sure and many things were learned. Most importantly, having accurate data on your loads proves to be very handy. The numbers produced from the Magnetospeed and put into Strelok were almost dead on at distance. I learned how much mirage can effect shot placement at long distances and I also learned that Harris Bipods are not the greatest thing to shoot prone with as they really don't allow you to load the bipod very well. Also, banging steel plates at distance is much easier than concentrating on groups. At any rate, my best group at distance of the day came at the 400 yard mark. A group of three went about an inch in size. Only three shots as that is the qualification rounds required to go to the next distance. At 500, my groups opened up a bit. All in all a good day. Got two weapons qualified at 500 yards so now working on groups and really getting dialed in can begin. I will get pics up of the 400 yard group once I get it from my phone.

Here is the 200 yard target. Actually started at 300 yards and came back to the 200 just to check dope setting per the chart that I had built.

The 300 yard target as you can see has several groups. This was done trying to get dialed in.

Best group of the day at 400 yards

And then 500 yards. Group opened up a bit. Took a couple of shots to see where I was then made a change.

Would have liked to have put more rounds down range but at Top Gun, they only call cease fires once an hour and close pretty early in the day at 5 pm. I did not get my first rounds down range until after 2 pm as I got there late in the afternoon and I certified two weapons in a two hour time frame. Now that I will be able to make full use of their range, more time will be dedicated to getting the Grendel really dialed in.
    Last edited by mwilkins; 02-16-2015, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X