• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GarandThumb
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Starting a Target/Bench AR build

I posted a similar thread on ar15.com so if this is a dupe for anyone, apologies

This is going to take a few months. I plan to chronicle the whole build here in this thread and on YouTube.

Here is what I've got so far:

Upper and lower forged AP receivers
    Port cover kit
    Forward assist kit
    Lower parts kit (cmmg) minus trigger and pistol grip

For the barrel/bolt I'm thinking about one of the fat barrels offered by precision firearms. Since this is going to be a long range rifle I was thinking about going 22 inches. I recall reading in this forum some guys were having problems with 24 inch barrels.. something to do with the gas system.

Anyway here are a couple of videos that provide a close up look at the receivers and port cover.

Comments and suggestions welcomed

***Update***

Just finished it this weekend.

Here is the parts list:

Upper/Lower: Aero Precision
    Barrel: Lilja ar24 profile with thread protector
    Float Tube: White Oak Armament Varmint
    Gas Block: White Oak Armament match (non-adjustable)
    Gas Tube: DPMS
    Bolt: Underground Tactical (from Lilja)
    Bolt Carrier: APF NiB
    Port Cover: Tactical Junkie
    Pistol Grip: Ergo
    Forward Assist: DMPS
    Lower Parts: CMMG
    Trigger: CMC Flat
    Charging Handle: BCM
    Stock Kit: Magpul
    Scope Mount: LaRue LT745

Scope: I purchased a Vortex HS-T intended for this rifle but it found a home on my Savage 260. For now I'll run this standard Vortex Viper but plan on picking up another HS-T

Also picked up two mags, one AR Stoner and one Alexander Arms, both 10 rounders. All told the whole build set me back $1800 (not counting scope). I will be taking it out next Sat to break in. I plan on using cheap steel cased wolf for the break in so I may not get a good idea on how well she shoots until the second outing. My expectations are 1/5 moa with tuned reloads.. hopefully my expectations are not too high

Last edited by GarandThumb; 05-26-2015, 06:07 AM.
  • chase
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Good luck to you. Be prepared for a wait . I am building my first Grendel and called my barrel order in to precision firearms about mid-December. called them this week and I still have Two to Three weeks to wait. I am ripping my hair .

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

You might have a wait but you'll be happy when you get it. Plus it'll give you time to source the other parts. I've thought about if I was ever going to build a Grendel to shot long range it'll be worth a 22" barrel too.

Have you picked what barrel your going to use? I look forwards to your videos
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• 65Whelen
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Me if I'm building a target/bench gun, setting cost issues aside, the core basics would be, 24" Bartlein Barrel, billet upper and lower, best glass and trigger.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I'm not aware of many problems with 24" barrels. The 28" barrels with RLGS can exhibit belted case bulges with certain hand loads if there isn't enough spring pressure and reciprocating mass static weight, causing early unlocking with pressure still in the case enough to bulge it out.

22" is a good length to go with, since the velocity increase gets really flat once you go past 20". There's a graph in Volume I on Page 55 that shows this. You get maybe 35fps average increase speed with the extra 2" going from 22" to 24". The velocity change is a curve between shorter and longer barrels, with the curve being more steep on the shorter end, while being flatter on the longer end.

The Cerakote finish on those appears to be very uniform. Looks like a nice receiver set. Just make sure to bed your barrel well, since you're using forged with a heavy pipe. I'm kinda in the same boat with a heavy barrel build in the works, but I'm using Seekins billet receivers.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• GarandThumb
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2015

Be prepared for a wait
            Thanks for the heads up. The barrel is going to be ordered in the spring after my annual bonus rolls in. The wait doesn't bother me too much as long as its reasonable, lol.

Have you picked what barrel your going to use?
            I'm leaning towards a Bartlein but I have not made up my mind. Lilja and Krieger are also under consideration.

Me if I'm building a target/bench gun, setting cost issues aside, the core basics would be, 24" Bartlein Barrel, billet upper and lower, best glass and trigger.
            Unfortunately I can't set cost aside completely. I don't want to cut corners on the barrel/bolt but other areas components are probably going to be a bit more on the value side. For glass I'm thinking about the Vortex HS-T. I have a couple of standard Vortex vipers right now (plus a diamondback HP inbound for a Mosin project) that work pretty well. The discount Vortex offers for vets will help keep the price down.

I have a 3.5lb CMC trigger on my other AR that I really like so I will probably pick up another.

On the stock, I want something that rides a rear bag well. I was thinking about the MOE fixed rifle stock as a cheaper alternative to the magpul prs. What do you guys think on that?

For the float tube I have my eye on the woa varmint float tube. It's an interesting design that I think will contrast the receiver well. Heard it was difficult to install the barrel nut on that setup though.

Comment

• GarandThumb
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Just make sure to bed your barrel well, since you're using forged with a heavy pipe. I'm kinda in the same boat with a heavy barrel build in the works, but I'm using Seekins billet receivers.
              So the bedding step is something Ive been thinking and reading a lot about. It's a controversial step on other forums. Most people are using loctite for this, right? I've seen many different versions of loctite used. Which would you recommend?

Comment

• chase
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2015

It is A .920 Bartlein 22'' . I have a post on this site but I made a mistake and said 20''. I went with 22'' to avoid the wait. And since I am in Texas at sea level 800 yards is about all I will get and a 22'' barrel will do well.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2015

I know all about shooting in Texas, spent some time this weekend at best of the west ringing steal

Comment

• opusthepenguin
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2013

I've got the moe rifle stock on mine. I like it, did end up getting the extended butt pad for it but its only around 14 bucks still way cheaper than prs. I had prs on last target build never raised the cheek piece enough to miss it.

Comment

• Apparition
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

When I built my last one I wanted a target AR that I can hunt with.

My build was as follows:
                      Mega billet matched set
                      Ordered 22" Satern Barrel Still waiting on it so installed an 18" Brownells barrel
                      Geissele gas block
                      Midwest industries keymod handguard 15"
                      Magpul PRS
                      PSA LPK - barely used anything
                      BAD ambi selector
                      Geissele high speed national match trigger
                      Ergo grip
                      BCM BCG (using Brownells bolt)
                      Larue mount
                      Vortex razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X56

I've not measured any groups with it but it is definitely a sub MOA with factory Hornady 123's both Amax and SST. Still making a stockpile of brass so haven't reloaded anything. I got the scope dialed in to my liking and went straight to shooting steel and am very happy only been out to 350 yards with it though.

I also have the Brownells 24" but it's still in the box.
                      Been considering ordering one of these for it

Comment

• tplace
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by GarandThumb View Post
                        The discount Vortex offers for vets will help keep the price down.
                        Vortex offers a discount for vets? How do you find info on their program? Thanks.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2015

I've got the moe rifle stock on mine. I like it, did end up getting the extended butt pad for it but its only around 14 bucks still way cheaper than prs. I had prs on last target build never raised the cheek piece enough to miss it.
                          That's what I'm thinking. I have a standard A2 stock on my other AR and never felt like I needed more height or extend the length of pull. I'm just looking for something that will ride a rear bag better than the A1/A2 style.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2015

That's a nice build Apparition, how does it shoot.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by tplace View Post
                              Vortex offers a discount for vets? How do you find info on their program? Thanks.
                              I have not reached out to them yet so I have no personal experience but based on what I have read you just need to reach out to one of their sales people and ask about it. You will have to prove you are a vet/mil/le. After they verify they will send you a list with the discounted prices. I also heard that you can use this discount once a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X