X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chase
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Lets get this right. Now I have a Vortex PST-4-16 and love it. I am thinking of the razor HD II 4.5-27 for my Grendel. Now for this discount everyone talks about. The discount is of their suggested retail of $3199. and from what I heard its about 6to8 hundred. I can by it on line and at stores from $2350to $2499 so where are you actually getting a discount ?

Comment

• chase
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2015

Will be going to best of the west of hy29. when my Grendel is done. Right now I go to Eagle Peak but they only go to 300 yards.

Comment

• GarandThumb
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2015

I heard it was 35% of retail. If that's true you end up with a small but decent deal compared to the best "street" price. I've actually bought my last two scopes (a standard viper and a diamondback HP) from the demo list at camera land. The viper, which ended up on my k31 was $259 and the Diamondback which is destined for a Mosin was $289. When I get closer to finishing the rifle I will reach out to them and see how good the discount is. If its beats the street price I'll jump on it.

I shoot at eagle peak a lot.. once every 2-3 weeks. Eagle peaks setup is better for load development. The nice thing about botw is that they let you shoot fmj.

Comment

• chase
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2015

Glad to know that there are some long range plinkers in my area. Look forward to seeing you at the range when mine and your 6.5 are done.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I don't know who has seen the new AA ad in magazines lately, but the new GDMR configuration is really sleek. This is what I am thinking of for my 22" fluted build, only I'll probably go with a longer handguard and Seekins billet set.

Here is one that I helped a fellow forum member with:

Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• GarandThumb
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              I don't know who has seen the new AA ad in magazines lately, but the new GDMR configuration is really sleek. This is what I am thinking of for my 22" fluted build, only I'll probably go with a longer handguard and Seekins billet set.

Here is one that I helped a fellow forum member with:

That is sharp looking. Is the barrel blued or painted (duracoat/cerakote)?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Everything on the outside that is metal is Cerakoted on the FDE gun you see. The barrel is Cerakoted black. I shot a rapid .6" group with that rifle last week, and 4 of the rounds were literally in .3". The 1st round opened the group to .6". I shot it on a cadence as fast as I could index the reticle of his NightForce benchrest scope and break the JP trigger consistently each time. He shot a .5" or less 5rd group with it as well.

Looking at the groups, it was actually .642" edge to outer edge, making it a .378" Center-to-center group, which is .361 MOA. That's crazy for a 5rd group rapid-fired at 100yds.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-21-2015, 08:15 PM.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mburnz
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2015

Vortex is 35% off 2 items per category per year for active/retire military, law enforcement. It is off MSRP so you'll start a touch higher but the bottom line is a better price. $10 flat rate shipping. You can email them and ask or PM me and I'll forward you the form.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

Wow, I wish I had known that earlier! JP gives a substantial military discount as well.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2015

Minor update on this build. Got the lower put together. So far its looking good. Will be ordering the scope and mount next week, possibly the float tube too.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2015

Got another update, getting close!

Since the last update I have picked up the following:

Vortex HS-T (minor problem here)
                        LaRue LT 745 mount

I ordered the White Oak Armory float tube last week, should be delivered tomorrow.

I ordered the barrel from Lilja last night, went with the AR24 profile.

All that's left is the gas block, gas tube, bolt, bolt carrier and a couple of tools. I'll need a spanner wrench for the barrel nut and something for the barrel install.. thinking about going with the magpul BEV block.

The minor problem I'm having with the Vortex HS-T? I tried it out this weekend on my savage chambered in 260, took it out to 1000 yards. The scope worked great! Now I want to leave it on the savage, lol. I had a standard Viper on the savage so I may use that on the Grendel... for now.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2015

Finally got the barrel installed. I did lap the upper receiver and bedded the barrel extension with loctite 243. I used white lithium grease instead of anti-seize for the barrel threads and tightened the barrel to 60 foot pounds.

Barrel-install.jpg
                          barrel-install2.jpg

The gas block should arrive Monday. After that I just need the bolt and bolt carrier.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2015

***Update***

Just finished it this weekend.

Here is the parts list:

Upper/Lower: Aero Precision
                            Barrel: Lilja ar24 profile with thread protector
                            Float Tube: White Oak Armament Varmint
                            Gas Block: White Oak Armament match (non-adjustable)
                            Gas Tube: DPMS
                            Bolt: Underground Tactical (from Lilja)
                            Bolt Carrier: APF NiB
                            Port Cover: Tactical Junkie
                            Pistol Grip: Ergo
                            Forward Assist: DMPS
                            Lower Parts: CMMG
                            Trigger: CMC Flat
                            Charging Handle: BCM
                            Stock Kit: Magpul
                            Scope Mount: LaRue LT745

Scope: I purchased a Vortex HS-T intended for this rifle but it found a home on my Savage 260. For now I'll run this standard Vortex Viper but plan on picking up another HS-T

Also picked up two mags, one AR Stoner and one Alexander Arms, both 10 rounders. All told the whole build set me back $1800 (not counting scope). I will be taking it out next Sat to break in. I plan on using cheap steel cased wolf for the break in so I may not get a good idea on how well she shoots until the second outing. My expectations are 1/5 moa with tuned reloads.. hopefully my expectations are not too high

Comment

Working...
                            X