• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justified
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2011

PPU 6.5 Grendel

The Spring Cabela's Catalog lists 6.5 Grendel from PPU with a brass cass and 100 gr FMJ on page 17.

Has anyone heard of it? Is this a new option?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

FWIW, I've seen two different wholesalers list a new brass cased PPU 6.5 Grendel loading described as 110gr. FMJ....

I've been checking back periodically and hoping for something to pop up.

Wolf Gold 120 MPT (manufactured by PPU) has pretty much been AWOL for years. I don't know who is to blame for it, but if PPU starts delivering Grendel ammo directly under it's own label, I say the more the merrier! We could use a whole lot more!

They've missed a lot of potential sales, and I want the affordable fodder!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
      Warrior
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by justified View Post
      The Spring Cabela's Catalog lists 6.5 Grendel from PPU with a brass cass and 100 gr FMJ on page 17.

Has anyone heard of it? Is this a new option?

Thanks,
      Dave
      A live Link to that Page/AD would be helpful. If not, details re quantity and price. Thanks.

Comment

• Buster
        Warrior
        • Mar 2012

I can't find it on the Cabela's site, but here is the ad:

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Ballistics on PPU site:

PPU has three Grendel offerings listed:

110gr FMJ-BT
          120gr HP-BT
          123gr SP

Oddly, velocity increases with bullet weight, and from the same barrel length.
          Last edited by Drifter; 02-05-2015, 06:46 PM.
          Drifter

Comment

• m796rider
            Warrior
            • Jul 2011

PPU was promising delivery "in a few months" at the 2013 SHOT Show, yet I've never seen any of this in stock anywhere. It'll be interesting to see if the ammo actually becomes available vs just being advertised. And hopefully, the PPU is considerably less expensive than just $1 below Hornady 123gr SST...

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I can tell you the PPU brass from the Precision Firearms loads I was shooting today is a totally different ballgame than the really soft stuff that was seen on the original 123gr Soft Point load we had back in the day.

This brass looks like Lapua brass from the side, is very hard, is annealed at the neck and has the annealing bi-tone appearance, feels much more substantial than the older stuff. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

I would like to see a retail source for the brass itself, but I wish they would use a Small Rifle Primer.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
                PPU was promising delivery "in a few months" at the 2013 SHOT Show, yet I've never seen any of this in stock anywhere. It'll be interesting to see if the ammo actually becomes available vs just being advertised. And hopefully, the PPU is considerably less expensive than just $1 below Hornady 123gr SST...
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Graf & Son have PPU 6.5 Grendel brass in stock as well as 6.5/.264 caliber 120 grain MPT bullets. I have been to Graf's store in Missouri and found a pretty good deal on .224 caliber bullets when the shelves were bare a couple years ago. I may have to take a day trip back to Sierra's factory store and swing by Graf's. I read where Graf's is the primary distributor for Lapua and Vihtivuori powder.

Comment

• Everrest
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2011

SGAmmo has 6.5 Grendel Wolf Gold 120 Grain Copper MPT Hollow Point Ammo by Prvi Partizan

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Interesting. They're selling PPU brass-cased 120gr MPT for $16.95 per 20, or $398.75 for 500.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I wonder if SG Ammo got a new shipment of Wolf ammo using the newer brass. I have been online and found no other source for Wolf 6.5 Grendel with the 120 grain MPT in stock. If this Wolf 6.5 Grendel had the newer PPU brass I'd be more interested in buying more Wolf/PPU 6.5 Grendel 120 grain MPT ammo.
                        Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-12-2015, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Interesting. They're selling PPU brass-cased 120gr MPT for $16.95 per 20, or $398.75 for 500.
                          MPT makes sense at $12-13/box, though. Not at $17. Wolf may have jumped the shark if they have set the price that high. SGAmmo's prices are usually decent. Not as good as some, but better than most.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Yup. I'm loving the $17.60-$18.50 prices for Hornady 123gr A-MAX and SST. It beats most of the .223 and .308 FGMM loads out there, so I have ended up with a lot of Hornady brass.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I just got an e-mail from Target Sport USA ammo in Connecticut and they have Wolf 120 grain MPT 6.5 Grendel in stock by the case or individual box. Normally if you buy a case there is free shipping. There must have been a shipment of Wolf 6.5 Grendel to hit the shores.

Comment

Working...
                              X