4 5.71%
  • 6.5 Grendel

66 94.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5G vs .243win for Deer?

stmcelroy

6.5G vs .243win for Deer?

Kicking around the idea of getting into the 6.5 Grendel for range and hunting.

The only "big" game hunting I do right now is mule/whitetail deer in Eastern Washington, where it's open and shots out to 500 yards are possible.

So far I've hunted with everything from .243win(current gun) up to .300win mag, but hunting with an AR15 has me intrigued.

Last years deer was a 3x4 mule deer shot at a whopping 25yards with my Tikka 595 .243win with 85gr Barnes TSX bullet. It was a DRT shot and the bullet performed flawlessly.

So my question is would a 6.5 Grendel in 16-18" barrel be comparable or superior to a .243win for deer hunting?

Looking hearing what you guys have to say.

JASmith
    The Grendel compares very favorably with the .243 Winchester. There's a series of three articles at ShootersNotes.com that carry a comparison of one load each for 6.5 Grendel, .243 Win, 6.8 SPC, .257 Roberts, 30-30, and .223 Rem:

http://shootersnotes.com/grendelmani...t-the-grendel/

http://shootersnotes.com/grendelmani...or-large-game/

http://shootersnotes.com/grendelmani...nd-aim-points/

The real trade is a reduced point blank range in the Grendel in return for superior energy and penetration potential at all ranges.

The Grendel load used in that discussion was Alexander Arms offering of the 129 gr Hornady SST. More recent and lighter hunting bullet offerings should make the near-in trajectory more comfortable while not unduly sacrificing lethality out to beyond 400-500 yards.

Also, the analysis supporting the article was for 24" barrels. The muzzle velocities, trajectories, etc. would be different for the shorter barrel. A question will be how much trade you are willing to make for ballistic performance versus easy handling and carrying.

I believe there are folks in this forum who have used and carried Grendels and other AR's in barrel lengths from 10" to 26" and possibly longer. Their comments will be illuminating.
    Last edited by JASmith; 08-26-2011 at 12:14 PM.

NRA Member, SAF Member Central Washington State
    Welcome!

You are aware of Alexander Arms planned visit to Eastern Washington next month?
    Gun Confiscation WILL NOT Happen In My Lifetime. Pat Kelley 1998

NOR IN MINE!

stmcelroy
    Quote Originally Posted by bwaites View Post
    Welcome!

You are aware of Alexander Arms planned visit to Eastern Washington next month?
    Thanks. Been a longtime member of the 6.5 forums but mostly just lurking and talking myself out of the cartridge. Got a 300blk upper lately that has gotten me enthused about the AR15 platform again.

Aware of the visit and looking for someone to carpool with to save on gas.

LRRPF52
    The main advantages the Grendel has over the .243 Win for target-shooting is barrel life, and much less powder consumption for reloaders. You also have a smaller action and potential for a lighter rifle/carbine for carrying while hunting.

The main advantage with the .243 Win is velocity. The .243 Win with 85gr bullets probably has a little more recoil than a Grendel pushing 120gr pills, both rifles being of similar barrel profile. They are both great cartridges for children and women who are more recoil-sensitive. The Grendel/AR15 gives the hunter a much faster follow-up shot option than a bolt-gun .243 Win of course. A .243 Win in an AR10 is significantly heavier and larger than a Grendel AR15 as well. The Grendel is an inherently accurate cartridge since you pretty much fill the case to within 90% or above capacity with whatever bullets you're using, so burn is very consistent.

The .243 enjoys a pretty broad range of bullet selection, and covers .22-250 velocities with the 55gr grenades for varmints, as well as really fast medium game bullets in the 75-105gr range. It's a very flat shooter for sure.

I think I would approach this from the advantages of the AR15/Grendel combo, versus a bolt gun, rather than the calibers.

NRA Member, SAF Member Central Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    Thanks. Been a longtime member of the 6.5 forums but mostly just lurking and talking myself out of the cartridge. Got a 300blk upper lately that has gotten me enthused about the AR15 platform again.

Aware of the visit and looking for someone to carpool with to save on gas.
    Sounds great! I was pretty blase about the 300BLK until I had a chance to shoot one with a suppressor. Subsonic rounds, suppressed, was seriously cool! I'm thinking I want one now. BUT...I can't quite figure out what spot it fills for me, so I'm still a little iffy. I tend to be a pragmatic user vs. a collector, so if I don't think I'll use it, I don't buy it. I just can't quite figure out where to use it!
    Gun Confiscation WILL NOT Happen In My Lifetime. Pat Kelley 1998

NOR IN MINE!

stmcelroy
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post

I think I would approach this from the advantages of the AR15/Grendel combo, versus a bolt gun, rather than the calibers.
    I think you are right.

cokecounty
    Agreed. For me, the best advantage to hunting with an AR/Gredel platform is being able to keep my target in the sight picture and watch impact due to the minimum recoil. Also, I have always thought the .243 a little light for deer, especially big mulies. Good Luck.

GregP42
    I plan to use mine this year for deer season here in Ky.

buckbustn
    I just recently built a Grendel that I plan on using for hunting wt here in Oklahoma. I used to be in love with .243 because of velocity and BC. That was until I realized there were so many more rounds that outperformed .243. The other reason being about 10 yrs ago I decided to hunt with one. It was a nice rem (model eludes me). Any ways I'm sitting in my blind and out comes a nice 11pt. He quarters away and I fire. The buck never flinched. He did however flag me and run. Looked like an injured run so I waited a bit and then comensed to tracking. This was all done by track tracking due to no blood trail. About 300yds into tracking I find him grazing. I fire again at the same spot I thought my first shot was. He merely looks at me like I'm stupid, and continues to graze. I fire again and this time he runs again. Still no blood trail. After about another hr of tracking I find him dead against a blackjack. At this point I am utterly confused. As soon as I get him field dressed lo and behold there are 3 entry wounds just behind shoulder and 3 exits. Heart and lungs both had been shot but were completely intact. The buck died from internal hemoraging. He was not shot with fmjs either before anyone asks. All I ever shot out of it was soft points. I know people who use nothing but .243 for wt but from that year one I have forever sworn off .243 to hunt with.
    Sorry for this being so long but I wanted to get my horror story out there for you.

+ Reply to Thread