X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

I shot 5 rounds of the 30.3gr CFE223 load with CCI41 primers through my 15.5" barreled Grendel. No chrono today, but there were no pressure signs and the ammo grouped at 1" at 100 yards.

I think I'm going to load up a bunch of this config and shoot it!

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
      Warrior
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
      I shot 5 rounds of the 30.3gr CFE223 load with CCI41 primers through my 15.5" barreled Grendel. No chrono today, but there were no pressure signs and the ammo grouped at 1" at 100 yards.

I think I'm going to load up a bunch of this config and shoot it!
      Ar or bolt gun?

Comment

• m796rider
        Warrior
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
        Ar or bolt gun?
        AR - should have mentioned that.

Comment

• pdq5oh
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2015

Got out to Thunder Valley today. What a surprise when rounds loaded with the Berger Hybrids did very well on the 1000 yd plates. Loads with 29.8, 30 and 30.3 of CFE had a higher hit rate than my regular AMAX and SST loads that shoot much better at 100 and 200 yds on paper. I only had 5 each of the Bergers. The 30 gr load had 3 of 5 hits. 2 hits with each of the others (12" plates). Wind was pretty tricky today. There were absolutely no signs of pressure on any brass. I have no chrono data. I'm going to load more with 30 and 30.3. I'll also load some at 30.6 and 30.9 and see what happens. Hopefully nothing bad ha. I'll chrono these and report back.
          Phil

Comment

• Casper77
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by pdq5oh View Post
            I'll chrono these and report back.
            Pdq5oh, Any updates on the velocity of these loads? Also, what barrel length and twist are you using?

Comment

• pdq5oh
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2015

I did chrono some and got conflicting numbers. Previously I had a 2378 Av with 29.2 gr CFE and 2424 Av with 29.5 gr. This was on a cloudy day. With 30 gr I got 2388 Av. 2424 Av with 30.3 gr. 2440 Av with 30.6 and 2438 with 30.9 gr. This was on a sunny day. I think there must be a point of diminishing return with regard to case capacity and the bullet depth in the case. All loads were seated at 2.265 OAL. Given the velocities I get with 30.9 gr of CFE and 123 SSTs (2501) I think the lower numbers on the sunny day may be more accurate. Thoughts anyone?
              20" BHW 1:9 barrel.
              Phil

Comment

• acourvil
                Warrior
                • Dec 2013

With a 22" 1:8 barrel, temps around 70F, I'm getting about 2400 with 29.7g CFE223. I haven't done a lot of testing on this, but the drops were in the right range when I shot steel at 660 and 860 yards, so I think that's pretty close to a true velocity reading.

If you are using an optical Chrony (e.g., ProChono) the light can make a significant difference in the reported velocity. I get greater discrepancies on cloudy days with mine, especially if the light is changing (i.e., clouds blowing through)

Comment

• pdq5oh
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2015

I am using a Pro Chrono. The cloudy day was completely overcast with constant light. The sunny day was cloudless with constant light. Given my 20" barrel I think around 2400 with 30 gr is reasonable. Thanks for the input.
                  Phil

Comment

• Flyguy11
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by motoxxx_ryder View Post
                    well wanted to keep the brass at an even shot count so only loaded 3 each. 2-3 moa until i hit 28.6gr of CFE 223 and .412 MOA . going to load up another 10 of these over the chrono and hopfully they can maintain the accuracy.

lapua brass
                    130 gr Berger
                    2.266 OAL
                    CFE 223 28.6gr

BTW you gotta love those giant holes the 458 socom punches to the right lol.
                    Bolt or AR?
                    Barrel length?
                    Twist Rate?
                    I apologize if it was mentioned somewhere before.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2015

AR, 20 inch barrel, 8 twist.

not clue on who built the barrel its the one upper i bought built.

Comment

• Flyguy11
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Thank you, it gives me an idea of where to start as well as expected results. Awesome results!

Comment

• GarandThumb
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2015

Comment

• Threefeathers
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2016

Bruno in Phoenix has them for $41 bucks. I'm having my rifle spifed up a bit then will conduct the tests. I've been so darn busy teaching firearms classes that I haven't had much time for what I want to do.

Comment

• Flyguy11
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

GarandThumb,

Have you tried any thing in an AR rifle with a shorter barrel with BL-C(2)? I am working on some loads myself but I have the same issue as Threefeaters; working a lot.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Flyguy11 View Post
                                GarandThumb,

Have you tried any thing in an AR rifle with a shorter barrel with BL-C(2)? I am working on some loads myself but I have the same issue as Threefeaters; working a lot.
                                Nope, I just have the one rifle chambered in 6.5 grendel. My other AR is a 20 inch 556. Varget is my go to powder with that rifle (ar comp being my backup).

Comment

Working...
                                X