X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GarandThumb
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

What kind of velocities are we expecting with these new 130s? 2500fps from a 22-24 inch barrel?

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

I wouldn't be shocked to see 2600fps with CFE.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
        ...What I'm excited about is that the 6.5 Grendel allows both high BC bullet noses AND, with lighter weight pills, high muzzle velocity. This is the last territory that remains to be explored in the 65G...
        I agree in that I'd love to see a 95gr - 110gr Nosler Bonded Performance. http://www.nosler.com/bonded-solid-base-bullet/
        I think this would be a superior 0-100+yard hunting round for the Grendel. As far as the Copper Barnes bullets go, I think there's a promising territory in the 110gr-115gr range that'll sustain a decent BC while allowing for good velocity.

Have you looked at the recommended minimum weight by construction type at ShootersNotes.com (http://shootersnotes.com/)? It lists 112gr as the minimum copper bullet for Elk. A 113gr Barnes LRX would make an exceptional Elk round from a Grendel. Hopefully a copper bullet in this range would allow us to utilize CFE for higher velocities.

I can't wait to get my hands on some of these 130gr Bergers Tacticals!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

First, regarding the Bonded Performance, looks like somebody at Nosler has drunk the 6.8 Kool-Aid. But the same technology is in their Accubond Long Range, so that's where I'd like to see a 95gr - 110gr. Additionally, it looks like it's the same concept as the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Personally I like the reverse concept of the Bear Claw: put the copper in front and the lead partition in the back. That way your center of gravity is rearward, the lead gives its density without shedding weight, and the copper expands without shedding weight. Best of both worlds, to my way of thinking. The Winchester XP3 does it that way.

Second, has anyone found the new Berger 130 hybrid for sale anywhere?
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Confederate
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2014

put the copper in front and the lead partition in the back. That way your center of gravity is rearward, the lead gives its density without shedding weight, and the copper expands without shedding weight. Best of both worlds, to my way of thinking.
            I have always thought this concept would be very effective, I like it as well. In the 90's it was brought up in the SOCOM community but never came to materialize.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

If the Bonded Performance is the same as the Accubond without the tip, then why offer the Bonded Performance as opposed to giving it a tip (an HP tip at the very least) and offer the Accubond in those weights?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

It's just a guess on my part; I'm assuming that a company uses the same bonding technology for all its bonded bullets. Cheaper not to add a tip, at any rate, and if they're for close-range use, no need for the extra trouble of long-range features. I'm too busy this afternoon to check if Federal has similar bullets in their Fusion line, which would indicate to me Nosler just contracted to rebrand some Fusions.
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Bullets.com lists the new Berger 6.5 130 Hybrid but they're out of stock. Their ad copy says: "This new Berger 6.5mm 130 grain AR Hybrid OTM Tactical bullet is specifically optimized for maximum performance in magazine-length ammo. Although this design is length constrained, the combination of a hybrid ogive and 7 degree boat tail produce a very respectable G7 form factor of 0.920, which is within 1% of the popular 6mm 105 grain Hybrid."

I think it's very cool that the form factor is within 1% of the 6mm 105 hybrid, which it seems 6mm guys are going crazy over. I predict the 6.5 version is gonna be the bullet to beat in its weight class.

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

Will finally report on some loads in the next couple weeks on this bullet. Will try some in the 24 inch barreled AR and the 22 inch barreled boltaction, though the bolt is my main objective at this time. Gotta get back with the Grendeldata guys on when they want some for testing us some data on the Grendeldata site also. I am thinking these with CFE223 powder are going to be fun. Hopefully soon as I get a load ready, I can go find a few Texas hogs to try them out on as well

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Bullets.com lists the new Berger 6.5 130 Hybrid but they're out of stock. Their ad copy says: "This new Berger 6.5mm 130 grain AR Hybrid OTM Tactical bullet is specifically optimized for maximum performance in magazine-length ammo. Although this design is length constrained, the combination of a hybrid ogive and 7 degree boat tail produce a very respectable G7 form factor of 0.920, which is within 1% of the popular 6mm 105 grain Hybrid."

I think it's very cool that the form factor is within 1% of the 6mm 105 hybrid, which it seems 6mm guys are going crazy over. I predict the 6.5 version is gonna be the bullet to beat in its weight class.
                      I believe that G7 BC is a serious typo. More likely would be 0.290...
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                        I believe that G7 BC is a serious typo. More likely would be 0.290...

Form factor is part of what is used when calculating the BC, G7 BC of these bullets according to Berger is .288

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

ETA:

I am unable to locate the page on Berger's site for that bullet.

Interestingly enough, though, using the data published in the ad copy, the G7 BC for the 130 Hybrid calculates to a 0.290.

SD = (130 / 7000) / (.264^2) = 0.01857 / 0.069696 = 0.266

G7 BC = SD / G7 FF = 0.266 / 0.920 = 0.290

I can only assume the reason is that the published 0.288 G7 BC you reference is measured, rather than calculated. This is one of the reasons why I like Brian Litzs' G7 data.
                          Last edited by NugginFutz; 06-03-2015, 08:51 PM. Reason: Late night, last night - probably should refrain from posting after my bedtime.
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• kmon
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2015

Finally got around to loading some of these bullets for load workup for the Bolt Action. Once that is done I will work on some loads for the AR. Seated these to COAL of 2.285 which functions well through the CZ 527 magazine. The shorter of the loaded rounds is seated to 2.260 and chambers fine in the AA Overwatch. I am using Lapua Brass for the bolt action and Hornady for the AA so it is easy to keep the rounds for each rifle separate for now, at some time will most likely try to find a good load for both rifles.

Left to right 130 Hybrid seated to COAL of 2.260, 130 Hybrid seated to 2.285, 130gr Hybrid, 123gr Hornady SST

Comment

• m796rider
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                              Finally got around to loading some of these bullets for load workup for the Bolt Action. Once that is done I will work on some loads for the AR. Seated these to COAL of 2.285 which functions well through the CZ 527 magazine. The shorter of the loaded rounds is seated to 2.260 and chambers fine in the AA Overwatch. I am using Lapua Brass for the bolt action and Hornady for the AA so it is easy to keep the rounds for each rifle separate for now, at some time will most likely try to find a good load for both rifles.

Left to right 130 Hybrid seated to COAL of 2.260, 130 Hybrid seated to 2.285, 130gr Hybrid, 123gr Hornady SST
                              Wowsers, that bullet looks excellent! Can't wait to try it out in my 17" and 11.5" barrels. I have a few lbs of 8028XBR -- good powder to start with @ this bullet weight?

Comment

• bwaites
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
                                Wowsers, that bullet looks excellent! Can't wait to try it out in my 17" and 11.5" barrels. I have a few lbs of 8028XBR -- good powder to start with @ this bullet weight?
                                Short barrels..... maybe..... 123s are about max for xbr. Try CFE 223.

Comment

Working...
                                X