X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdq5oh
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2015

I realize the hollow points can be somewhat inconsistent. I was surprised to find over .020 difference. I just measured overall length. Thanks for the reply.
    BTW, they didn't shoot terrible or great. About an inch at 100. Best load was 28.9 CFE 223 at 2.265 OAL. Absolutely no signs of pressure. 28.9 was the hottest load I tried. Guess I'll go up in increments & see if groups shrink any. Maybe try differing the OAL, too. 20", 9 twist BHW barrel.
    Phil

Comment

• m796rider
      Warrior
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by pdq5oh View Post
      I realize the hollow points can be somewhat inconsistent. I was surprised to find over .020 difference. I just measured overall length. Thanks for the reply.
      BTW, they didn't shoot terrible or great. About an inch at 100. Best load was 28.9 CFE 223 at 2.265 OAL. Absolutely no signs of pressure. 28.9 was the hottest load I tried. Guess I'll go up in increments & see if groups shrink any. Maybe try differing the OAL, too. 20", 9 twist BHW barrel.
      Interesting! Thanks for the info. I'm gearing up to try some of the 130gr hybrids in my 17" 1:8 twist Brownells barrel; I get 2460fps with 123SSTs from this barrel so would love to see at least 2400fps from the 130 Bergers. Please let us know when you've had a chance to run some hotter loads.

Comment

• pdq5oh
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2015

Hopefully tomorrow. If it doesn't rain. I'm also taking my chrono so I hope to have some good velocity data.
        Phil

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Have been a little busy on other things and not posted here in a while. I settled on 30.3 grains of CFE 223 COAL 2.265 for both the CZ and AR for this bullet using Lapua brass. Seeing very little pressure signs and accuracy is as good as any load I have shot in both guns. ragged hole groups for the CZ and slightly under an inch for the AR both @ 100 yards. Haven't had the chance to use them on game yet but hope to find a hog or two soon for test subjects.

I realize that load is hotter than the Berger Data recommends so if you go there do so at your own risk.

Comment

• pdq5oh
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2015

Kmon, a couple questions about your CZ. I'm considering a bolt gun in either Grendel or 6.5 Creedmoor. Have you gotten to shoot you CZ out to 1000 yds or more? If so, how did it do? I'm interested in steel plates at a range here with a 1 mile plate, tho that's not my major interest. They do have some competitions with shots to about 1200 yds. My only disadvantage is in the wind against the higher velocities of the Creedmoor and 260s. My thinking is I have all I need to reload the Grendel and would have to get the stuff for the Creedmoor. Thanks for any input.
            Phil

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Haven't run it out to 1K but have to 600 several times. Didn't have steel at that place but plenty of rocks and 8 inch rocks at 600 are no problem with it last time there painted a 4 inch rock cold bore shot from 600 from across truck hood busted the rock. The load I mentioned above shoots under half MOA out to 600 at least on a calm day. Lost my lease I could shoot all I wanted to out to 1200 so looking for another place for that. IRRC I am getting 2520 or 2540 forget which from my 22 inch barreled boltaction with the load mentioned above.

Remember the Grendel is about like shooting the 308 at longer ranges so the faster 6.5s with their higher BC bullets will be easier to dope the wind with than the Grendel but it is cool to spot your own shots with the Grendel and the longer shots can be made but it does have its drawbacks for extended range precision, no matter how much we love the cartridge.

Scott built my rifle and has all the CNC programming, reamer and dies to make more just like it. Would trust him to make more that shoot as good or better mine was the first CZ527 he has built from. For a rundown on the build it is in the boltaction forum on here titled GrendelizedCZ I think or something like that.
              Last edited by kmon; 10-25-2015, 04:30 AM.

Comment

• pdq5oh
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2015

Thanks a lot for the reply kmon. I'm sure a Grendel bolt gun would shoot very well, but I think my needs will dictate the Creedmoor. And I can try the mile plate ha.

Here's what I got yesterday with the Berger 130s. Nothing grouped well at all except 26.2 gr of 8208, tho nothing to write home about.
                There were no pressure signs at all. There seems to be lots of room to work with these bullets beyond what Berger states re:max load. Rifle functioned 100% as always. 20" BHW 1:9.
                All shooting was at 100 yrs with pretty strong 15-20 mph wind from 9:00. I tried much as I could to shoot when the wind laid down somewhat. Berger groups were dispersed radially. Nothing under 1.5 MOA. Some over 2 MOA. My AMAX and SST loads were strung somewhat horizontally, tho still clustered under 1 MOA. Given that my SST and AMAX loads shoot 1/2 MOA on a calm day, I'm not going to waste any more time on the Bergers for my Grendel. I will keep them and try in a bolt gun should I end up going that route.

All Berger 130 Hybrids:
                CFE 29.2 gr, 2.265 OAL.
                Av 2378
                ES 24.7
                SD 10.7

CFE 29.5 gr, 2.265 OAL.
                Av 2424
                ES 25.2
                SD 9.7

8208 26.2 gr, 2.265 OAL.
                Av 2309
                ES 24.6
                SD 10.3

Hornady 123 SST:
                CFE 30.9 gr, 2.240 OAL
                Av 2501
                ES 38.4
                SD 14.6

Hornady 123 AMAX:
                CFE 31.5 gr, 2.240 OAL
                Av 2503
                ES 47.3
                SD 20.7
                Phil

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2011

We get some very good reports on ammo with this bullet. But Always in the 1-8 Twist. The 1-9 Twist is borderline for the 130 grain bullet. If you use the Berger Twist Rate Calculator on their website, 1:8.5 is the minimum twist for this bullet. 1-8 Is optimal.
                  Last edited by PrecisionFirearms; 10-26-2015, 10:03 PM.
                  "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• rattleguard
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2015

Has anyone run them through an animal yet? Or gel at less than 300 yards? Curious to see how they will perform at closer ranges, mainly inside of 300.

Comment

• pdq5oh
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2015

Precision, on the box it says 1:9 or faster. I guess they MEAN faster. May have to do with 24" or longer barrel, too.
                      Phil

Comment

• pdq5oh
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2015

Was shooting with a friend yesterday who I gave some of these bullets to. He has a Tikka T3 in an MDT chassis, in 260 Remington. IIRC his rounds were loaded with 42 gr 4350 at 2.800 OAL. Groups at 100 were NOT good. Strange thing is, at 200 the groups were much better. About 1 MOA. They may work well for him with some load development. 20", 1:8 barrel.
                        Phil

Comment

• m796rider
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2011

I managed a quick range trip with my Berger 130gr Hybrid Tactical loads.

Chrono: PAC, set about 15' from muzzle
                          Rifle: AR15, 17" Brownells Grendel II barrel/bolt, 1:8 twist
                          Primer: CCI400 (just for this test, will be using CCI41s from here on out)
                          Powder: CFE223
                          Case: Hornady once-fired brass
                          COAL: 2.271" (average, all fit in C-P magazine with no problems)

Powder charge results (corrected MVs):
                          29.5 - 2258fps
                          29.7 - 2262fps
                          29.9 - 2274fps
                          30.1 - 2276fps
                          30.3 - 2300fps

I did not see any untoward pressure signs at any powder charge weight.

As a comparison, factory 120gr PPU ammo goes 2379fps through this barrel.

Average accuracy at 100 yards was about 2MOA, with the best being about 1.5MOA (29.9gr charge) and the worst being about 2.5MOA (29.7gr charge). I was not very stable and did not use a rear bag, FWIW.
                          Last edited by m796rider; 11-02-2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• kmon
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2015

30.3 is the most accurate in my boltaction with a 22 inch barrel, easily sub half inch groups at 100 yards. IRRC 2430fps but that is with the longer barrel and no gas tax, slight primer flattening with Winchester small rifle primers but they are soft primers. Shot 3 last time out with the AR with a 24 inch barrel and they were right at a 3/4 inch group, didn't have the chrono out that trip. Brass looked good and ejection point was same as factory SST rounds from Hornady

Think that will be my load for this bullet, through hunting season. The dang hogs haven't cooperated yet for bullet testing.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2015

well wanted to keep the brass at an even shot count so only loaded 3 each. 2-3 moa until i hit 28.6gr of CFE 223 and .412 MOA . going to load up another 10 of these over the chrono and hopfully they can maintain the accuracy.

lapua brass
                              130 gr Berger
                              2.266 OAL
                              CFE 223 28.6gr

BTW you gotta love those giant holes the 458 socom punches to the right lol.

Comment

• m796rider
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                                30.3 is the most accurate in my boltaction with a 22 inch barrel, easily sub half inch groups at 100 yards. IRRC 2430fps but that is with the longer barrel and no gas tax, slight primer flattening with Winchester small rifle primers but they are soft primers. Shot 3 last time out with the AR with a 24 inch barrel and they were right at a 3/4 inch group, didn't have the chrono out that trip. Brass looked good and ejection point was same as factory SST rounds from Hornady

Think that will be my load for this bullet, through hunting season. The dang hogs haven't cooperated yet for bullet testing.
                                I'm pretty happy with 2300fps out of a 17" barrel. I get a bit less wind drift than with the 123gr SST factory ammo and better retained velocity at long distances. I'll go back to the range with a rear bag and one of my 15 round mags for a more stable shooting position to see how accurate the 30.3gr CFE223 load really is.

Comment

Working...
                                X