• Show
Clear All
  • 37L1
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Took Me A While

But I finally got here.

Hello, y'all, from Tennessee.

Friend gifted me a 6.5 Grendel upper for Christmas and I've been dealing with the Grendel I/Grendel II/varying trim length (depending on who you talk to) to the point that I'm thinking WTH is it with this cartridge?

I'm sure I will be a question box once I look around in here and absorb some much needed information.

Right now I'm working on load development. . .
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. A lot of us still have never trimmed brass, and are going on years and years of shooting now.

The base to neck mouth dimensions of the chamber are 1.530", and due to the lower pressures of the cartridge, we just don't see a lot of case length growth.

Do you have any of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks? Most of your questions and more are easily answered there, especially in Volume II.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the board 37L1 ! What took you so long to get here? Find out what you have there, as a bolt face recess. Can you measure it? Then you'll know what you have.
        Trim length varies with bolt recess, variations. A little bit.
        I stick with the Sammi chamber.,, not any type of a variant. Also, verify that the company shows the chambers specs with EACH barrel. MANDITORY ! Let's fix the past , today.

To all the other AA designated- licensed companies----Let's use the Sammie chamber spec only.

Show a print of the bbl.'s. chamber specs. , with each bbl., unit sent out---- from each Grendel bbl.s manufacturer. Yes, it is that easy to do this... Let's gain customers together.
        Last edited by sneaky one; 02-12-2015, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• 37L1
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

It appears that I was given one of the early Midway/Satern Grendel 1 barrels. I discovered that it would not allow loading 123's to mag length. Informed my buddy, who never thought twice about this as he used a Hornady OAL gauge and just loaded his ammo short. I asked him what he thought would happen if he bought some factory ammo and tried to load it and fire it?

He took his barrel and mine to a local smith and had the leade reamed out to allow for mag length loads. Smith had both of our bolts to match up to the barrels.

Is this a problem?

Comment

• jurassic
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            Welcome to the board 37L1 ! What took you so long to get here? Find out what you have there, as a bolt face recess. Can you measure it? Then you'll know what you have.
            Trim length varies with bolt recess, variations. A little bit.
            I stick with the Sammi chamber.,, not any type of a variant. Also, verify that the company shows the chambers specs with EACH barrel. MANDITORY ! Let's fix the past , today.

To all the other AA designated- licensed companies----Let's use the Sammie chamber spec only.

Show a print of the bbl.'s. chamber specs. , with each bbl., unit sent out---- from each Grendel bbl.s manufacturer. Yes, it is that easy to do this... Let's gain customers together.
            This would be great, but I won't hold my breath. Does any barrel manufacturer of any AR caliber do this?

Comment

• PigOPs
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post
              It appears that I was given one of the early Midway/Satern Grendel 1 barrels. I discovered that it would not allow loading 123's to mag length. Informed my buddy, who never thought twice about this as he used a Hornady OAL gauge and just loaded his ammo short. I asked him what he thought would happen if he bought some factory ammo and tried to load it and fire it?

He took his barrel and mine to a local smith and had the leade reamed out to allow for mag length loads. Smith had both of our bolts to match up to the barrels.

Is this a problem?
              It's NOT a problem. I had the same thing done to my early Midway/Liberty Barrel. It shoots 120-123 grain pills into single holes if I do my part. The only negative is that it works the brass much more than my SAAMI chamber does. You MAY find that it doesn't shoot certain bullets as well but at the same time, it's no fun to have to load a 123SST to 2.220". Do some load development, find what your stick likes and use it. Are you hunting or just paper punching?

Just as a point of reference: This is one of the very issues that has made this so confusing. Satern made a large batch of "SAAMI" barrels that he will go to his grave claiming were in spec. Something was off and it led to short throat issues. Instead of buying a new SAAMI reamer from a different company to lengthen the leade, his proposed solution was to remove the compound throat (what your smith did). This made a chamber very close to the 264LBC which has a tighter neck tolerance of .295" but has a neck diameter of .300" instead. What will most likely happen if you use a comparator and an overall length gauge you will find that there is an exaggerated "jump to lands" even loaded to mag length. Again, this hasn't been an issue in my stick loading 120-123 grain projos. So Steve offered to ream out anyone who had a problem with their chamber with this reamer that PTG decided to name Grendel II and, instead of buying a SAAMI reamer from a reputable reamer maker, has started making all of his Liberty barrels in Grendel II unless you specifically call and ask for the SAAMI (which will most likely lead to a short throated barrel).

There is a whole lot of hypocrisy and misinformation swirling around this that makes it that much more dramatic. My suggestion is shoot your gun. Fall in love with the cartridge based on it's merits and go from there. I'm sure some will claim I don't have all of my facts straight but I have tried to maintain objectivity.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Well, Jurassic, we all agree that the more info the better now days- there is a well informed population out there- maybe due to all the social media connections, this forum being one, ( my only one btw)- we all got smarter, due to the massive amounts of data that we can all see, at anytime. Hopefully this thread will enlighten ALL the bbl. makers out there,that was my goal.

Also to end the drama of the short throated units. Yawn...Bill A. set the bar high up , on purpose. Bill A., rocks it! If all his underling companies would step up to adhering to his specs., all the whining would go away...

I'm glad that I have the .300 chamber- everything runs through smoothly- and very accurately, with my Sammie chamber & leade.

Comment

• jurassic
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

I completely agree Sneaky one, this Forum is one of the best at sharing information and experience!

Comment

• olde sarge
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

Welcome 37L1

Comment

• dmsims21
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2012

37L1,

I live in Friendsville. I'm no expert, but I have learned a thing or two on this forum. I also have a bullet comparator, head space comparator, and head space gauge. If you want, we could meet and check out your rifle. I am a member at ORSA. We could meet there.

PM or email me.
                      David Sims
                      dmsims21@gmail.com
                      www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• 65Whelen
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Looks like you've got a perty good introduction to the Horde, great bunch, willing to share. Welcome

Comment

• 37L1
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                          37L1,

I live in Friendsville. I'm no expert, but I have learned a thing or two on this forum. I also have a bullet comparator, head space comparator, and head space gauge. If you want, we could meet and check out your rifle. I am a member at ORSA. We could meet there.

PM or email me.
                          David Sims
                          dmsims21@gmail.com
                          Thanks David, I sent you a PM!

Comment

• jose
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2014

I also live off 129 and we have 3 Grendel builds. Also shoot below Vonore to 300 yds.
                            Clean6@comcast.net

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Welcome, 37L1

Comment

Working...
                              X