• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
    " Those effects are magnified indoors, which means they would be especially unpleasant and potentially injurious when clearing a building or compound."
    I would think the accuracy benefits would not be needed at close range indoors which suggests that a compensator with a rotating sleeve which could close it off would be worth experimenting with. Twist closed, twist again open.
    Is that possible?
    Not to diminish your idea, because in theory it's a legitimate solution.

However, in practice this would be asking shooters to reach down, grabbing the muzzle of the barrel of a loaded rifle just before entering a building with their adrenalin pumping.

This compensator idea is an attempt to fix a "problem" with the weakest 10%. Recoil on a 5.56 is a non issue. As far as aiding the shooter in reacquiring the target quicker, a vertical grip will work just as well.

Bwaites had the perfect solution, mini suppressors. I've got many of exgf that wishes I had been issued a suppressor, so I could hear half of what they had to say. On second thought forget the suppressor I'm glad I wasn't issued one. hahahahahaha

I'm all for giving my grunts better rifles! However, within 300 yard firefights and CQB have to be the first priority. We shouldn't be making that job harder.

For the 500+ yard engagement, we should be focusing on a 6.5 Grendel LMG and DMR.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      Yes it certainly is possible.

We had a member (Warped) who manufactured two types of compensators. One design you would twist and a sleeve covered the ports.

I have one and it works. Yes, you do have a zero change but not that much.

I would not want to be near a comp in an enclosed area.
      For sure! I also have a Warped brake that is of the on/off/variable design that works great!

Comment

• lwminton
        Warrior
        • Nov 2014

Then the normal position would be closed. If you are at long range then opening it would be fairly easy - not much more than checking a safety or magazine. BTW I just bought a Grendel and was hoping I could use H4895 or RE15 with 120 gr bullets although I don't see to much discussion on those two. I have a 6mmAR and use those powders for 100-105 grain bullets and Whitley says they are preferred. 1 - 1.5" inch groups at 300 yards are within reach and I would expect the same from the 6.5 mm.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Then the normal position would be closed. If you are at long range then opening it would be fairly easy - not much more than checking a safety or magazine. BTW I just bought a Grendel and was hoping I could use H4895 or RE15 with 120 gr bullets although I don't see to much discussion on those two. I have a 6mmAR and use those powders for 100-105 grain bullets and Whitley says they are preferred. 1 - 1.5" inch groups at 300 yards are within reach and I would expect the same from the 6.5 mm.
          LW:

The mil doesn't need compensators on their carbines. It is a solution for a problem that does not exist.

4895, RL15, Varget -- there are numerous threads about these powders in a Grendel. Their bulk density is way too low to get the velocity you want. Sure, burn rate may be 'faster' than some of the more popular Grendel ball powders but you can't get enough of these powders into a Grendel case to give you decent velocity.

I shoot H 4895 in my 6 AR like Whitley recommends and it works great. Smaller diameter bullet in the same size case.

LR55

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

If someone is having problems driving a 5.56 M16A4 or M4, they need to go into a non combat arms MOS and leave the gun-slinging to the adults. They are very pleasant rifles/carbines to shoot compared to almost every other rifle out there.

They can approach the recoil compensation from the buffer and spring end, without any tools needed and no messing with loudness.

Hilarious Cory! My wife knew she was complaining too much last night, so she told me to just roll onto my good ear so I wouldn't have to hear it.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lwminton
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

Thanks for the reply. I did not detect a lot of enthusiasm for those powders. Soooo, I will have to buy something else and would very much appreciate your advice on the most likely powder to succeed in my Grendel. It is a Precision 16" Bartlein and I want to shoot it in the Hathcock Match at Cherry Ridge NJ. 20 rounds in 20 minutes prone and single load which allows me to load long if desirable.
              Cherry Ridge has swirling wind that is impossible to read - it just blows in circles, so would speed or bullet be the focus. Mark suggested I try Scenar L 120s.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Thanks for the reply. I did not detect a lot of enthusiasm for those powders. Soooo, I will have to buy something else and would very much appreciate your advice on the most likely powder to succeed in my Grendel. It is a Precision 16" Bartlein and I want to shoot it in the Hathcock Match at Cherry Ridge NJ. 20 rounds in 20 minutes prone and single load which allows me to load long if desirable.
                Cherry Ridge has swirling wind that is impossible to read - it just blows in circles, so would speed or bullet be the focus. Mark suggested I try Scenar L 120s.
                LW:

This is getting way off topic.

Go to the Reloading forum and search for 'ideal', 'best', 'favorite'; 'loads', powders'.

Many great responses there.

LR1955

Comment

• Trooper
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  If someone is having problems driving a 5.56 M16A4 or M4, they need to go into a non combat arms MOS and leave the gun-slinging to the adults. They are very pleasant rifles/carbines to shoot compared to almost every other rifle out there.

They can approach the recoil compensation from the buffer and spring end, without any tools needed and no messing with loudness.

Hilarious Cory! My wife knew she was complaining too much last night, so she told me to just roll onto my good ear so I wouldn't have to hear it.

The problem with the 5.56x45 is that lacks enough power compared with the 7.62x39. And the 7.65x51 is just too big. We need the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• alicea8541
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2014

No matter how bad we want the Grendel to be standard issue in the military, it isn't going to happen. Unless you are going to get all of NATO to jump on board it is a fantasy. The Corps doesn't really need more toys or newer toys on their service rifles. Give us more ammo to train with. We don't actually shoot very much throughout the year. Give them more ammo and range time and they will be more effective. New toys requires more training and range time, neither of which is received, ever!
                    JADE Precision, LLC
                    Military and Technical Development Advisor
                    Sponsors: Athlon Optics, Etymotic Research, and Kestrel Meters

Comment

Working...
                    X