• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justified
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2011

Savage Axis?

What about rebarreling a Savage Axis? I thinking about a light weight bolt action for occasional shooting for varmints and deer. I'll be shooting my AA 6.5 for most of my work.

-Dave
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

It can work, was talking to a shop online last night that has E R Shaw barrels instock for the Savage. $200 for the barrel SAAMI Spec

Comment

• FW Conch
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

Yep, will work just fine.

I used a Stevens 200 action for my build.

Good Luck ... Jim

Comment

• justified
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2011

A couple of questions:

1: What magazine will work with the Grendel or will all of them require modification?

2. Who had the Shaw barrels so cheap? I checked the ER Shaw web site and did not see 6.5 Grendel listed as an option.

Thanks,
        Dave

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

Model1sales had them as 6.5 Sporter.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by justified View Post
            A couple of questions:

1: What magazine will work with the Grendel or will all of them require modification?

2. Who had the Shaw barrels so cheap? I checked the ER Shaw web site and did not see 6.5 Grendel listed as an option.

Thanks,
            Dave
            Here ya go

We carry Savage replacement barrels, AR barrels, and Ruger 10/22 barrels. All of our barrels are pre-fit and ready to install.

Comment

• FW Conch
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

Model 1 Sales does not seem to have a very good reputation?

And, I don't see any Savage Drop In Barrels listed? :-)

I have one of the GunShack 6.5Grendel barrels, and it shoots well ... .640" groups off the hood of my truck at 100yds :-)

Edit ... But it is not light weight: it is a 26", Heavy Varmint Taper
              Last edited by FW Conch; 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Oh, terribly sorry. It was AR barrels they had a while back. I wasn't really touting them, I just knew they had ER Shaw barrels and they called them something else, so it might have been difficult to find.

Comment

• Onewolf
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by justified View Post
                  A couple of questions:

Thanks,
                  Dave
                  Would like to see an answer for that question. I have a 6.5 Grendel Savage action build I'm ready to start but I haven't found any magazines that feed grendel rounds reliably.

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

I do not know that much about the Savage conversions to Grendel, but what I can think of needed

Barrel
                    Bolt head for PPC family of cartridges
                    Magazine not sure what has to be done for feeding, Pacific Tool and Guage sells a bottom metal replacement that uses AR mags. There are others that sell such products as well. If I were doing one of the Savage conversions I would seriously look at those.

Gun Shack that I posted the barrel link earlier in this thread has the bolt head and I bet the know how to answer that the questions about what is needed.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2015

i have been hankering to build one of these off a .223--

it would be very light , low recoil and quite a bit more thump than a 223--

i have one of these in 308 that i lov --except for the recoil and the noise--lol

Comment

• wch
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2015

I had a smith put a 6.5 Grendel PacNor barrel on a ruger MK II action that had originally been chambered for 7.62x39, and added a Basic trigger; many deride the Ruger actions (why, I don't know) but with that barrel and trigger (and the right load) I have a true 3/4 minute rifle.
                        Last edited by wch; 12-19-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2015

if ruger would just make the "american prea" or savage make an axis/edge in 6.5G that would save me some barrel swapping--

Comment

• FW Conch
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

justified, I am a Savage shooter, and I have built a Grendel on a Savage action. But if I were to build a light weight carry rifle, my first choice would not be an Axis/Edge to build on. The reason being, all Axis/Edge actions are long actions. The way they achieve short action chamberings is by changing the trigger guard insert, and the magazine to short chambering rounds, and flipping the front bolt baffle 180deg, to shorten the bolt throw, on the same action. This keeps the weight of a long action, while chambering the Grendel, which is shorter than a short action. I would prefer to build on a used Stevens 200 short action, or a Model 11 action. But, a Grendel build on an Axis/Edge will work, just so you know the in's and out's going in.

I am very interested in a Grendel built on one of the mini actions.

What is the most appealing to me is a Grendel built by Melvin Forbes of New Ultra Light Arms, of Granville West Virginia, weighing in at 4 1/2 lbs! But, starting at $3,800 is out of the question for me :-((.

Good Luck, Good Shooting, and please let us know how you go with it...Jim :-)

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2015

i'm waiting on that howa 6.5g that is supposed to be right around the corner--

i might get bored and do a straight pull ar-15 with a 24" while i am a waiting--lol,

Comment

Working...
                              X