• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

What Kind of Accuracy Can I Expect From a Lilja Barrel? Look Inside

Here's a rifle I did using a Lilja 22" fluted barrel, AA hard use bolt, with Seekins billet set and handguard. I installed a JP single-stage trigger in it, and it has the JP Silent Captured Spring recoil system.

I did some custom work under the hood on the barrel extension to ensure brass is treated well, and large meplat hollow points won't get hung up in the rare fast cyclic rate condition.

Metal parts are finished in NIC Industries H-Series Cerakote, FDE. Barrel is Graphite Black Cerakote, with a semi-gloss finish.

At the range 2 weeks ago, PDS and I met up to shoot it, and I rapid-fired this group, with him as a witness in the spotting scope. My first round is the one on the left. The other 4 are in the ragged hole to the right. This is factory Hornady 123gr, but we can't remember if it was the A-MAX or SST that was used for this group, as we had boxes of both.

.642" - .264" = .378" 5 rounds rapid (.361 MOA)

Here are some of his 107gr SMK hand loads that he shot slow fire:

.616" - .264" = .352" (.336 MOA )

Here's a group he shot recently with the 123gr A-MAX:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

VERY nice! Quick question, I believe I've heard you say that factory SST might have a lower BC than AMAX, if so what would you recommend inputting to my basic bc calculator that only uses G1? I've got a few boxes of SST arriving tomorrow and will be shooting this weekend. I've only shot AMAX and Wolf steel and with the AMAX i get good results with the .510 G1 input... Thoughts?

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
      Warrior
      • Feb 2012

Nice groups, you need to take it to 500+ yards and get us that report. I hope my 20" Lilja shoots half that well.
      sigpic

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

Was that one from the earlier or latter reamer?

FWIW, I hope my 20"er's shoot PRECISELY that well!

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

That is some phenomenal shooting. Looks like you have an extraordinarily accurate rifle. I like the Seekins receivers and the Cerakote job. You did a great job on this build, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
            Was that one from the earlier or latter reamer?

FWIW, I hope my 20"er's shoot PRECISELY that well!

We actually started out with the original chamber, and it wasn't grouping as PDS would have really liked, so we talked with Dan and he sent a replacement barrel with the SAAMI chamber. I pulled the original barrel, installed the new SAAMI chambered one, and these groups are the result. The only change was the barrel, and PDS had documented many different loads with the 1st one. I have the targets and load data. I kept that barrel, and I'm going to see what I can do with it still.

After I shot that rapid .378" group, I wanted the rifle. It is very rare that you find a rifle that shoots like that for you.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

I hope my two do. Big money, no whammies....one time.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Wow! That's sweet!
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Joseph5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

That is what I got with my Lilja barrel also. It shoots so good it made me change my plans for my wife's rifle. I have a Savage Model 12 action that I was going to put a Criterion barrel on. After my Lilja experience that got changed too, it will be getting a Lilja barrel chambered in 260 AI put on it. Those Nosler ABLR 142gr bullets at 2900 fps should be the 1000 yard bomb! I am going to get a Lilja barrel for my 5.56 AR also. It is an Olympic Arms K8 Target Match that I got back in 2003 or 04. The first group I shot out of it was a .75 inch 20 shot group. That barrel is still shooting good but I am pretty sure the throat is a little longer that it was originally. There has been a lot of rapid fire shooting through it over the years like the gas tube glowing red hot and the free float handgaurd getting to hot to touch without a glove on shooting.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2013

Nice

Comment

• pds
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2012

Just to share my feelings on this. My most experience with rifle shooting is in the benchrest world about 12 yrs (in the 80's & early 90's). I've always loved to shoot so I turned my attention, after benchrest, to pistols shooting. When I retired about 3 years ago I wanted to get back into rifles again so I bought my first AR15 a rock river 5.56. Not happy with 4-5 inch groups @100yds, an internet search sent me here to this forum and the Grendel cartridge. When I decided to build this rifle from scratch the only part I knew that would be of top quality was a Lilja barrel. I knew Dan Lilja from my benchrest days and the quality of his barrels. His barrels have won their share of matches. He is one of the top 10 barrels makers in the US. So I got in on the group buy. The rest of the parts needed for this rifle I knew nothing about. I learned that LRRPF52 was close to my home so I made contact with him and ask him if he would help me on this. He advised me on the parts to buy and agreed to assemble the rifle. The short time I've known LRRPF52 I can honestly say he is one of the most knowledgeable individuals on the AR platform. The quality of his work and his attention to detail is nothing but first class. The proof can be seen in pictures he posted. By the way he also knows how to shoot. I watched him shoot that first group (picture #1) in a 10-15mph wind all shots in less than 4 seconds. Thanks LRRPF52 for a job well done.

pds

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by pds View Post
                        Just to share my feelings on this. My most experience with rifle shooting is in the benchrest world about 12 yrs (in the 80's & early 90's). I've always loved to shoot so I turned my attention, after benchrest, to pistols shooting. When I retired about 3 years ago I wanted to get back into rifles again so I bought my first AR15 a rock river 5.56. Not happy with 4-5 inch groups @100yds, an internet search sent me here to this forum and the Grendel cartridge. When I decided to build this rifle from scratch the only part I knew that would be of top quality was a Lilja barrel. I knew Dan Lilja from my benchrest days and the quality of his barrels. His barrels have won their share of matches. He is one of the top 10 barrels makers in the US. So I got in on the group buy. The rest of the parts needed for this rifle I knew nothing about. I learned that LRRPF52 was close to my home so I made contact with him and ask him if he would help me on this. He advised me on the parts to buy and agreed to assemble the rifle. The short time I've known LRRPF52 I can honestly say he is one of the most knowledgeable individuals on the AR platform. The quality of his work and his attention to detail is nothing but first class. The proof can be seen in pictures he posted. By the way he also knows how to shoot. I watched him shoot that first group (picture #1) in a 10-15mph wind all shots in less than 4 seconds. Thanks LRRPF52 for a job well done.

pds
                        Excellent groups! My hat is tipped to you Sir's.

Bench-rest or bipod? Rear-bag support?

Comment

• pds
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                          Excellent groups! My hat is tipped to you Sir's.

Bench-rest or bipod? Rear-bag support?
                          Front rest was a sandbag on a tripod, sandbag used for the rear.

pds

Comment

• SG4247
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2013

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

This is the the first gen Lilja 740 20" non SAAMI.

I have to admit, I was disappointed with it at first. It was clearly a 1 MOA barrel.

After about 300 rounds, it really came around, and was very impressive shooting .5 MOA with box ammo.

I didn't believe it, so I shot it again later at 200 yards, and it put 5 shots in an inch with ease.

Hats off to Lilja!

Both versions shot very well for me.
                            NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Birdog
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2013

Hornady Web site publishes same BC for AMAX and SST. Both @ .510.

Comment

Working...
                              X