• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Nosler bullet weight inconsistancies

So I bought a box of 120 gr nosler ballistic tip bullets, the weights ran from a low of 119.4 to a high of 120.2. I used a digital scale that has always been right on, so I don't think it's my scale as I always make sure it's calibrated and I triple checked the low weight ones.most of them fell in the 119.8- 119.9 range . Won't this pose a problem for 600 yard plus shots?
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

I may be mistaken but I think the shooter will have a much greater impact on group size at any distance than a 0.8 gr spread in bullet weight. You might be able to detect the effect that would have if shooting out of a machine and with zero wind but your trigger finger and breathing will be much more influential.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

For a given bullet shape, the BC is proportional to weight.

That means one can adjoust the BC in your balistics calculator and see what change occurs.

Of course the shape mighut change a skosh too, but that gets more complicated.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Agree with Joseph5, most shooters if not all will never be able to tell a .66% difference in bullet weight.

Haven't measured and sorted bullets in years, figured out with my shooting I was wasting time.

Comment

• acourvil
          Warrior
          • Dec 2013

That's typical of what I have measured for bullets in that weight range EXCEPT Bergers and Lapua -Ls, which have much less variation.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Did you you have your cell phone near you during the weighing?
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FW Conch
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

You can always separate them into groups by weight and see if you can detect any difference in how they group.

But I have known others who never weigh their bullets and shoot "one hole groups", some as small as .039" .

Comment

• wraith1516
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Nope cellphone not near me at the time when I reload I have as little distractions as possible , even told wife not to disturb me unless house is on fire

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

wraith1516 - in addition to the potential for distraction, I believe LRRPF52 was alluding to the potential for RFI. Some electronic scales are more susceptible than others, but all are susceptible to some degree. Some of the filthiest phones I know of are Nextel phones, followed by some Sprint phones (mainly because Sprint bought Nextel and would also run on Nextel networks). I've even heard interference from some phones (usually Blackberries) while wearing electronic hearing protection. The long and short of it is to try and keep any sources of radio emissions away from your electronic scales - at least 10 feet should do it.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• wraith1516
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Understood that but main reason I don't have it with me is no distractions

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
                      Understood that but main reason I don't have it with me is no distractions
                      I see. Well, then...

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• wraith1516
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Good one

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
                          So I bought a box of 120 gr nosler ballistic tip bullets, the weights ran from a low of 119.4 to a high of 120.2. I used a digital scale that has always been right on, so I don't think it's my scale as I always make sure it's calibrated and I triple checked the low weight ones.most of them fell in the 119.8- 119.9 range . Won't this pose a problem for 600 yard plus shots?
                          Wraith:

No. Won't pose a problem at all.

If you had some bullets shorter than others when measured from the ogive (not overall length), then probably. 8/10th of a grain over 120 total grains won't be an issue.

LR1955

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

I had the following in an archived word doc, which I had copied from www.6mmBR.com, I think. (My apologies to the original poster for not being able to give the right credit). It will give you the formula for how to determine the answer to your question. BOTTOM LINE - probably less than .3" over 600 yards. I don't think anyone can hold that tight.

Re: Does bullet weight variance .1gn affect accuracy
                            One thing you can do is look at the change in sectional density (SD) due to this weight change and from that, calculate the change in BC. You can then run the different BCs thru a ballistics program and see the downrange impact of the differences. This way you can judge if the difference in weights is material to your accuracy and distance needs.

For example,
                            a 140gr bullet that is perfectly 140.0grs has a SD of .287 lb/in^2. One that is 0.6grs lighter (your ES), its SD is 0.286. BC = SD/i, where i = form factor of the bullet in question. Say you where using the Berger 140gr VLD (I would be shocked if the Bergers had that big a spread, but this is just an example). Its i = 0.918 (on the G7 BC model) per Litz's Applied Ballistics. So 0.286/.918 = adjusted BC of .312, vs the 140.0gr's BC of 0.313.

The difference in inches of drop for a .312 vs .313 G7 BC bullet is:

-0.1" at 500yds
                            -0.5" at 1000yds
                            -2.5" at 1500yds
                            -8.1" at 2000yds

other question would be: are you zeroing your scale after weighing each bullet so there is no drift?

if not the .1 gr is not real anyway
                            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• wraith1516
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Thank you savage shooter but shouldn't nosler have better qc. I know it was only one bullet that was 119.4 gr but that is a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X