• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southern180
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2015

Talk about Comps

watched a vid about Comps , need some input, for 6.5 alot out there for 5.56 and such
    whats the deal on getting a good Comp. for the 6.5. I like the

PRECISION ARMAMENT but dont see it in 6.5
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I like the PRECISION ARMAMENT but dont see it in 6.5
    And you likely won't. The vast majority of comps and brakes being used on 6.5 are 30 cal devices. A few people have suggested that the difference from .264 to .30 is too much for their taste, but the one on mine is quite effective at both reducing recoil and muzzle jump.

The short of it is, if getting a compensator on your 6.5 is an irresistible itch, feel confident you can scratch it with any 30 cal muzzle device which has matching threads and a desirable design.

Also keep in mind that quite a number of shooters have expressed their lack of need for any muzzle device, whatsoever. The recoil on the 6.5 Grendel is so mild to begin with, I'd suggest the first muzzle device you get is a simple thread protector. You may be surprised at the results.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

I have comps on my competition rifles and they work very well for what they were intended. I don't have any on my hunting or pack rifles. The muzzle blast is deafening even with ear plugs and ear muffs on. If you are going to take your Grendel out in the field at all I wouldn't recommend them.

Comment

• dmsims21
        Warrior
        • Nov 2012

I have the Vltor VC-30?.
        It isn't a great comp or a great flash hider. It does a decent job at hiding flash, and I can tell a difference in recoil and muzzle jump. The main thing I like about it, is that it isn't very loud.
        www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• tplace
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2014

Like dmsims21, I have a VC-301 on mine. Given the low recoil of the Grendel, I was more interested in a muzzle device that abated the flash. I had a thread protector on it initially and found the Grendel to be a cream puff as far as control-ability goes.

Comment

• aclark
            Warrior
            • Dec 2011

I have the Killer Innovations comp in 30 cal, but I believe they have recently started making a 6.5 specifically. The blast isn't concussing or deafening to those around, but its very good at mitigating muzzle jump, and makes spotting and follow up shots easy.

5/8-24 thread with .251 or .325 bore diameter.
            9/16-24 thread with .285 bore diameter

Last edited by aclark; 02-26-2015, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Never used them on 6.5. Thread protector only.

I would if it was CQB or 3-gun type shooting but mine is a medium range precision gun for target shooting and hunting.

+1 for Nuggin and Montana's comments.

Comment

• southern180
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2015

Like like like all the info guys, this whole thing is new but learning good stuff, the 6.5 I read is good mannered I really like good follow ups but seldom needed. I do like to be on target to see the hit after pulling the trigger that's why I really enjoy my 17s and 22s . I really dont like the blast when at the range next to folks that use comps. Wish we had a better system for using cans at the range,

oh ya upper shipped today from VA now to figure out optics

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by southern180 View Post
                  Like like like all the info guys, this whole thing is new but learning good stuff, the 6.5 I read is good mannered I really like good follow ups but seldom needed. I do like to be on target to see the hit after pulling the trigger that's why I really enjoy my 17s and 22s . I really dont like the blast when at the range next to folks that use comps. Wish we had a better system for using cans at the range,

oh ya upper shipped today from VA now to figure out optics
                  Sounds like you need a suppressor.

Comment

• southern180
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by montana View Post
                    Sounds like you need a suppressor.
                    send me yours to try out, promise to sent it back in a few weeks (after deer season,crow season,pig season, ect.)

Comment

• Apparition
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

I run a JP on mine. Works very well.

Comment

• mburnz
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2015

You could look at Witt Machining, they can build you one specific for 6.5 -- http://wittmachine.co

I chose a .30 cal TriDelta Extreme Duty Muzzle Brake for mine, havent shot it yet, but it's heavy enough that the weight alone should stop any muzzle rise! -- http://www.amazon.com/TriDelta-Extre.../dp/B00G6LWMOO

Comment

• rabiddawg
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2013

I have a wci on one grendel and flash hider on another. I shoot with one ear plug cause i am totally deaf in my right ear. We often shoot from under the metal roof porch at our camp and i have never noticed a difference in sound level nor has anyone ever commented that one gun was louder than the other.

The wci is on the much heavier longer gun so i cant say how much it is responsible for recoil reduction but it sure looks bad ass out there on the end
                          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• chase
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jan 2015

I have the 22'' Hbar target crown on mine and was surprised it had les jump then my 223 and was on target at all times.

Comment

Working...
                            X