• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newb
    Warrior
    • Feb 2015

Items gathered so far

I was given the heads up of "pic proof or it didn't happen." Not much to show yet, but pic proof I am in the beginnings of my first Grendel build.

Forgot to include the Streamlight TLR-1HPL in the pic.

Trying to figure out where I am going to send the upper and lower to get anodized. -I milled out the 80% lower about 2 weekends ago.

Ordered ARP 20" barrel and 800 series bolt and extension 2 weeks ago; waiting for them to ship. (thinking of a 22" JP Supermatch for the next build)

10 rd mags..... wish I could get the 25's but the good ol' People's Republic of Commifornia.....

• 65Whelen
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Milling out your own lower that's a cool start.

Comment

• newb
      Warrior
      • Feb 2015

Still working to find which place to send my parts off to get anodized.

Received the ARP 20" barrel, 800 series extension and bolt today.....

Last edited by newb; 03-11-2015, 03:36 AM. Reason: resized picture

Comment

• chase
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2015

You are on your way. Its fun its frustrating and one hell of a learning experience . But at the end you can say it is mine. From start to finish it is a expression of your self ...

Comment

• newb
          Warrior
          • Feb 2015

Change of plans on the build. Found where to get my raw parts anodized but not sure when I will have time to take them down. Plus I needed a hand guard and most of what I was after was not in stock any where.

So I ordered a Mega Arms upper and hand guard; MKM-520-HA.

Did a quick mockup and I'm impressed. Barrel is a very snug fit. Hand guard is quite sturdy.

Although the take down pin tab is too wide to fit in the couple different lowers I have of different brands. I could trim but I'm not going to. A bummer, but I was planning on getting a Mega lower anyway.

Waiting on the gas block and tube, ..... and little by little need to get a carrier, trigger, etc..

Last edited by newb; 03-20-2015, 02:18 AM. Reason: sentence clarification

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

You can always have the parts cerakoted instead of Andonized.
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• spectra
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2014

Love those Mega Keymod uppers. I wish they would make one without a FA.

I vote for Cerakote also.

Comment

• newb
                Warrior
                • Feb 2015

Cerakote sure can produce some beautiful custom design schemes.

I could do that up myself. There's also a gun shop close that does it. Probably be something I do down the road.

Work has me going like a 3 legged dog chasing its tail; keep getting dizzier and further away from catching it all the time. So it's hard for me to take the components to any shops in the near future.

I'm leaning heavier towards anodizing the Hellfire parts to add some material to the upper to help shrink down the bore diameter for the barrel extension fit. It's not bad, but there is some play; unlike the Mega upper. I'd rather get tighter tolerances and then locktite as a second measure if needed.

-In other news: just got the email that the gas block and tube have shipped.

Trying to decide on which carrier to get. Contemplating the Gemtech suppressed or 2A Armament gas adjustable. Neither one is available right now so I have some time to figure it out if I go that route. I really like the concept of the 2A. But it is titanium and will be brand new to the scene so I'm kind of hesitant on that one. I could always be one of the guinea pigs I suppose..... as long as if it fails it doesn't jack me or the other parts up when it does.

Comment

• newb
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2015

Received the gas block and linear compensator; installed.

Picked up a lower end Vortex scope (Crossfire II 4-12 x 50) and Timney trigger, but still eyeballing an ELF trigger; the ELF demo felt almost like the Timney but with less pull weight. (which ever trigger I don't use will get used in the next build that "the boss" says will be hers.)

Now the waiting....

Mega Arms lower has arrived and half-way through the waiting period before I can pick it up. (decided to use that Hellfire 80% I finished out and the Hellfire upper for a different future build)

I ordered up the rest of the components. Went with a JP carrier and silent spring. Searched the forum here for threads about stocks and decided to give the Magpul UBR a try. BCM Gunfighter grip and KAG; my wrists like the reduced angles.

Still trying to decide which bi-pod to get but holding off on that wont' stop me from sending lead downrange when the rest of the goodies arrive....

Comment

• newb
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2015

The Vortex is temporary. Not sure which upper end glass I will get yet. Need to recover from the build before I polish it up with the final glass.

Can't speak for long term reliability and durability, but the glass is decent. Has some slight nuances to my eyes up at full power though. Test view at night, 150 yds out, with a Streamlight TLR-1HPL, I have no problems using the scope. I could easily identify a coyote, the surroundings, the background, and feel safe about feeding it a lead dinner smothered in copper jacket.

Almost forgot, pic proof or it didn't happen....

Last edited by newb; 04-06-2015, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X