• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howling Coyote
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2014

Shot some Wolf Gold tonight

I bought a case of Wolf Gold (PPU) from SG Ammo a week ago and decided to give them a try tonight in the Grendel. First I headed to the range to see where they hit in relationship to the SST I have been shooting. No reason to rezero as they hit within a 1/2" of where the bullseye was. Good enough for me as I just like to kill stuff and if I'm within a couple of inches then I'm good. But theses rounds did group well. If I remember correctly 2 rounds were really tight and the other one was 3/4" low. Shot 2 yotes and 2 hogs and everything dropped right where they stood. One thing (I think) that I noticed was the recoil felt to be more, not a lot, just more than what I'm use to with the SST.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Did the necks of the new MPT brass look annealed similar to Lapua? I have a couple loadings on the first batch of MPT brass and the primer pockets seem fine but I do not hot rod my reloads. The brass used with the Wolf 123 grain SP ammo was very soft and not of good quality. How does the brass look on your new MPT ammo after firing?

Good to hear an actual test on the Wolf/PPU ammo, thanks for posting.

Comment

• Howling Coyote
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2014

I'm no expert on fired brass but from what I can tell these spent cartridges look normal to me.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I've always loved the PPU 120gr MPT load. It's decently accurate, and fun to shoot. I'll gladly order a lot more of it when I can ever find it substantially below the cost of Hornady AMAX/SST loadings. I love it at $12 a box or less, and can somewhat stomach it at sub $14. Hopefully PPU releasing it under their label will help with the price.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

We had 2 attendees show up with Wolf Gold 120gr MPT for the Winter DM Course, and it tracked very well. Using the BDC reticle in a 3.5x ACOG for 7.62 NATO, the 120gr MPT was 1.5 Mils higher at 600yds, going from a solid 100yd zero confirmed. A lot of that is probably the 23.37" Hg barometric pressure. I have a bunch of Precision Firearms factory loaded 120gr Scenar-L ammo in the new PPU brass, and it is night and day quality wise from the 123gr SP PPU load.

Here's a pic of the guy with his 3.5x ACOG-equipped Grendel from the course:
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• m796rider
            Warrior
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
            I've always loved the PPU 120gr MPT load. It's decently accurate, and fun to shoot. I'll gladly order a lot more of it when I can ever find it substantially below the cost of Hornady AMAX/SST loadings. I love it at $12 a box or less, and can somewhat stomach it at sub $14. Hopefully PPU releasing it under their label will help with the price.
            There just needs to be a better and more consistent supply of this ammo in the US... Lack of supply is pushing the Wolf steel case at $14/box and MPT to $16/box, which to me is "cold day in hell before I buy" territory.

Comment

• no cigar
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2015

Does anyone see this stuff coming down from ~ $17/box any time in the next few months?

Would the outlook change on buying @ that price if you reloaded since your cost/round after initial purchase would be lower?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by no cigar View Post
                Does anyone see this stuff coming down from ~ $17/box any time in the next few months?

Would the outlook change on buying @ that price if you reloaded since your cost/round after initial purchase would be lower?
                I think the price depends on how quickly it sells and how much is on the market. I was hoping to see more volume on the Wolf/PPU 120 grain MPT and the Wolf Steel case 6.5 Grendel ammo. Personally when I can buy Hornady A-Max at $20-$22 a box I'd probably buy Hornady over Wolf if Wolf was $17-$18 a box. The Hornady is a lot more accurate and I have very good luck with Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass. If Wolf MPT was $14-$15 a box I would probably buy Wolf for times when I was shooting shorter distances or possibly varmint hunting.

Here is a link with in stock Hornady A-Max & SST for a shade over $20 a box. They also have Wolf MPT in stock for right at $17 a box both with free shipping if you buy a case.

Buy Wolf Gold 6.5 Grendel Ammo 120 Grain MPT Hollow Point at Target Sports USA. Enjoy free shipping on bulk 6.5 Grendel ammunition for sale online.
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-13-2015, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

There's no reason to buy Hornady at $20+/box, when you can get it for $17.30-$18.50 online. That's why I personally have not bought the 120gr MPT, even though it's a great load.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Howling Coyote
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2014

Paul where are you buying these Hornady rounds for the price your stating? I can find the Amax and SST averaging $20 a box but that's about it. Fill us in!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

You can get Wolf Gold 120gr MPT for $16.25 per box, and 123gr A-MAX for $18.50 from Selway. Now's the time to order ammo before the spring and summer kick in. I usually order ammo after hunting season when prices have dropped, before the warm weather shooting season kicks in. That's when I go into hand-loading mode if I have to. I don't order anything less than 200 rounds of Hornady at a time. Sometimes Selway has free shipping as well, and they are scary fast on delivery.

I clicked, "confirm order" the first time I ordered from them, and then the doorbell rang. It was scary....(it was within 2 days really, but you get the point).

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Howling Coyote
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2014

Yea..I've seen that Selway has Hornady for $18.50 now and then and it looks as if the Amax is that price now. I usually refer to Gunbot.net for ammo prices. Okay Paul I'm gonna turn up the heat a bit. Where are you buying this stuff at $17.30?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

My original Selway Armory order was at the $17.30 price per box, and I think I got free shipping as well. If you're on their email notification list, you'll get ads about once every 2 weeks I think. I have no affiliation with them, just have had great service and fast shipping, at excellent prices.

I haven't seen the $17.30 price in a while. For a hand-loader or even non hand-loader, the Precision Firearms and AA loads that use Lapua brass are more economical in the long run, but for hunting where the brass is going to be lost, the Wolf MPT or steel case make a great argument for fire and forget.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Howling Coyote
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2014

I try and collect all my brass. I think I have close to 1500 spent cartridges, powder, bullets, primers, handbook, reloading equipment. I just don't know how to reload and as of now I am just buying more ammo to shoot. That's going to change though as the area I plan on making my reloading room is about to happen. One thing about this Wolf/PPU brass, does it take the same primers as the Hornady brass?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

No, the PPU brass uses large rifle primers for some reason. Everyone else is using Small Rifle Primers, to include Lapua, AA, Hornady, Black Hills, Norma, and Nosler.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X