X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Wow! I haven't been paying enough attention to who is making what. I didn't even know they were making those. I started to get excited------ until I saw their prices. Uggh.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

One step closer to a belt-fed Grendel.

Sharky47 reports that he now has "a 6.5 Grendel barrel made and waiting on my personal semi auto [Mk46] to be made/delivered."

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Page 12
        7.62mm CT MMG weight 18.0 lbs
        600 rds CT ammo weight 23.1 lbs

An FN MK46 in 6.5 Grendel would be about 2 lbs lighter. Ammo weight would be roughly the same if brass cases are used, or significantly less if polymer cases prove feasible.

Comment

• They need a 6.5mm CT system if the MTBF is as good or better than the PKM. There is no longer a need to have any kind of shackles or compatibility with legacy barrels, chambers, or links, and they are almost at parity for weight with a 7.62 CT system compared to an existing SAW chambered in 5.56 NATO, both with 600rds of ammo.

That means you could have more ammo for 6.5mm than the current 5.56 SAW, with less weight, and more effective range than the 7.62 NATO or PKM, with less volume/bulk than the SAW. With no brass, which is the most expensive component in ammunition, this could really be something if the reliability is there.

Also, the 7.62 SP1D CT case would provide more propellant room, with less OAL than a 5.56 NATO cartridge, so if they optimized a slow-burning propellant and gas system length, we could have a crazy long green projectile with lower chamber pressure, and more mv than anything limited by an AR15 magazine well.

This would be a significant overmatch against existing small arms. Next step is the 21st Century MMG with a .338 or .375 projectile to replace .50 BMG, using a constant recoil operating system.

With the carbine/LMG, it looks like you could issue it to Assaulters/Riflemen, and overmatch combat endurance of legacy enemy systems by over 300%. Logistically, the implications for tactics and doctrine are huge.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

It's been a full decade since introduction of 6.5 Grendel. Never mind a belt-fed machine gun, but I thought by now that somebody would've at least built a Grendel automatic rifle.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Grendelized RPD?

Note comment @ 2:10

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                It's been a full decade since introduction of 6.5 Grendel. Never mind a belt-fed machine gun, but I thought by now that somebody would've at least built a Grendel automatic rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLX2zauiI38
                I've got a 5.56 upper but no one will make me a proper 6.5 one.

Well, you and I brought it up multiple times, but I couldn't get an answer from AA. When we posted about it on the old board enough, I finally got the equivalent of a polite "pound sound", but never anything more. After Sabre went tits up I gave up all together.

The Lothar Walther crew emailed back then (when the fur was flying) wanting to make me a barrel, but they obviously weren't making what I needed. They didn't grasp the fact that I needed a heavy chromed bore, and not a "match stainless" tube.

After that, I had hoped that maybe PSA might get FN to make some Grendel tubes with heavy chrome, buuuuuutttt..... Pttthhh! Nope.

The demonstrated lack of any serious attention to the Grendel for military type stuff is why I don't come here much any more. I have three Grendels, a registered auto sear, and suppressors, but this cartridge peaked for me many years ago. I've seen nothing in the way of real advancement, so why bother. I can't take this round very seriously if none of the manufacturers will.

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  The demonstrated lack of any serious attention to the Grendel for military type stuff is why I don't come here much any more. I have three Grendels, a registered auto sear, and suppressors, but this cartridge peaked for me many years ago. I've seen nothing in the way of real advancement, so why bother. I can't take this round very seriously if none of the manufacturers will.
                  Chris, I feel the same way.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Maybe if the steel case ammo starts coming in in sizable quantities, it'll help out. It couldn't hurt at least.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

In view of the high Ballistic Coefficient of the projectiles used in the 6.5mm Grendel vs the 6.8mm SPC http://mobile.outdoorhistory.com/xml...pg?sequence-54 (Click-on the 6.8x43mm SPC - 6.5mm Grendel cartridge cutaways *) and the resultant superior downrange performance of the Grendel, what's it going to take to change this http://www.xcrforum.com/forum/attach...-image0422.jpg to effect a M249 SAW in 6.5mm Grendel?

* ETA: Shooting Times, February, 2005, Cooking Up Loads For The 6.5mm Grendel, By David Fortier (5 Pages):

Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 10-08-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

That concrete erasure was awesome. Get a 130gr 6.5mm trucking out of an LMG and we're in business.

I need to get a hold of these guys, as they are in my backyard practically.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Companies selling machine guns. . . . God bless America!
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Not technically feasible.
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• sharky47
                              Unwashed
                              • Nov 2017

Hey guys - so the picture of the 6.5G on the RPD belt is mine - they do fit great!

Since that picture was taken, I did receive my MK46 semi from MGA - and I have even built a second gun, the only closed bolt semi auto SAW-K. The SAW-K is a form-1'd SBR now as well.

I have been busy doing a bunch of work on the SAW, including designing/prototyping/and patenting a 300 BLK conversion barrel with a really trick secondary gas system that allows subs to work correctly. That was in partnership with US MGA.

Anyway - I am currently working on adapting an RPD feed tray and top cover to the SAW - which if successful, will unlock 7.62x39/6.5G/9x39 - and any other cartridge that will fit on that belt. I am working with Green Mountain barrels and PTG and tooling up so I can make 9x39 ammo/dies/barrels, plan on using the 300BLK tech to make that round also run in the SAW.

I already have a barrel and bolt made for 6.5G - soon as I get the RPD parts adapted, I can test it!

Stay tuned.....

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                                Administrator
                                • Feb 2011

Very cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X