• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spectra
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

And So It Begins.....

Well got a box in the mail today from LRRPF52. Just dropped of my Lower, Upper and Rail to be Cerakoted in FDE. Details to follow but hear is a pic Still collecting parts.

IMG_0687.jpg
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Glad you got everything. Looking forward to how this project turns out.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• spectra
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2014

Ok figured I could play a little but no one bites So here is a list of what I have so far.

Mega Billet Lower
      Vltor non FA Upper
      Rainier Force 15" rail
      Brownells 18" barrel and bolt combo Cerakoted by LRRPF52 and some work done also. Looks great and thanks again!
      ALG Defense ACT trigger
      MagPul ASCL stock in FDE

Items still to purchase

Debating on the JP silent captured spring
      Rubber City Armory BC/W adjustable gas key
      gas block and tube
      Scope and mount

Feel free to comment on what you would do for parts or ? Right now do not really have any idea of where to go with the scope and mount. Rifle is just going to be a paper puncher out to about 1K. Have been looking at the Vortex but so many options as this is my first time doing a longer range gun.

Will post some pics once I get parts back from Cerakote.

Comment

• tackdriver
        Warrior
        • Feb 2013

I am a fan of ALG triggers. I swap the springs out for the JP lighter pull replacement springs. Joe Bob has them for $11.99 and it makes for a pretty nice single stage paper puncher and your about 1/2 out of pocket to any of the drop in single stage triggers.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I like the ALG Defesne triggers as well for a nice FCG basis when looking at a more economical FCG, but still wanting the best quality on the market. For those that don't know, it's a Geissele trigger, just standard AR15 spec without any 2-stage like the other top-dollar ones.

I recently bobbed the hammer on one, polished the trigger nose and hammer notch, which were already nicely polished for a rack-grade trigger, used a JP AR10 hammer spring, and established a very light, crisp, smooth trigger for one of my Grendel's.

I personally like JP single-stage triggers, which I have installed for the past 12 years now on many AR15's.

Since the 18" Brownell's barrels have such a large gas port, the adjustable gas key BCG will come in handy. I highly recommend the JP SCS. It's a smooth, strongly sprung and buffered recoil system that will balance out an 18" MLGS large port very well. It has more spring strength in that last area of the BCG going into battery from what I can tell, unlike the toilet paper roll recoil springs on the standard AR15. I really like it a lot.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            I like the ALG Defesne triggers as well for a nice FCG basis when looking at a more economical FCG, but still wanting the best quality on the market. For those that don't know, it's a Geissele trigger, just standard AR15 spec without any 2-stage like the other top-dollar ones...
            As I understand it they are the same as the Geissele triggers by design: S3G/ACT, etc.... The difference lies in the manufacturing process. ALG uses less expensive manufacturing methods, no laser engravings that makes the Geisseles so aesthetically pleasing, and I suspect less QA. When the owners has a mindset that nothing less than perfect is acceptable and lives that philosophy it flows down the work force. When you have this type of atmosphere in a shop how much QA do you actually need.

I haven't tried the ALG, but would like to try the ACT.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

The ALG is a standard AR15 trigger, hammer, and disconnector dimensionally, just made to Geissele's standards, with their control over materials selection and processes for the case hardening and surface finish. ALG are Geissele's wife's initials.

They also have an ALG line-up of handguards.

There isn't a huge difference between one of my JP single stage jobs, and the bobbed ALG hammer, polished trigger, with JP AR10 hammer spring I just did, other than the take-up. The over-travel on the ALG is surprisingly short.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lead chucker
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

I just ordered a hiperfire 24 3G to try out, and I got a JP SCS with the tungsten weight. So far I love it.

Comment

• spectra
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2014

Well the wait stinks........

Comment

• spectra
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2014

Got my parts back now one more day and will be able to start putting it together. Going to get the upper going and my LPK shows up Monday.
                    Last edited by spectra; 03-23-2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• spectra
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2014

Well started to play with it and all was going great. Checked out the upper and it looked square but since I purchased a lapping tool I ran it in there anyway. Bedded the barrel with blue loc tite and torqued it to about 63lbs to get it to line up where needed. Next came the gas block and well this where the train came off the tracks......tried lapping it and still was to tight so said screw it and ordered a bolt on gas block. I had this issue a few years ago and should have just purchased a clamp on one to begin with. So looks like next weekend it might be together....

I just wish there was a little more to building these things...I seem to enjoy the bench time and the searching for parts almost more than shooting them. I know it might sound crazy but anyone else feel that way?

Kind of like sitting at the bench working up loads there is just something soothing about it.....
                      Last edited by spectra; 03-23-2015, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• danm
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by spectra View Post
                        Got my parts back now one more day and will be able to start putting it together. Going to get the upper going and my LPK shows up Monday.
                        I was going to type a response but I'm distracted by something shiny...

Comment

• spectra
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2014

Hey I am not a photographer yeah I saw it and it is a paper but hey I just was excited to get my parts back!

Ok original is now fixed no shiny stuff in there.
                          Last edited by spectra; 03-23-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• spectra
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2014

Well got it almost done. Parts just showed up today so spent a little time in the garage. Put a cheaper PA scope on it until I can afford the Vortex.... Yeah I know I am not a photographer......

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by spectra View Post
                              Debating on the JP silent captured spring

Feel free to comment on what you would do for parts or ?
                              I debated on the JP SCS, because of the cost - but so many reviews were glowing about it ("elimination of the annoying "boing" and reduced muzzle jump) that I thought I'd invest more money in my Grendel (does it end, LOL?). Anyway, installed it (couldn't have been easier) and the other reviewers are right - especially about reduced muzzle jump. For the first time, I could see the muzzle flash at 24X through my scope and track my target at 100 yds. And, of course, no more "boing". If these factors are important to you, the JP SCS works as advertised. And once the credit card bill is paid, I'll forget all about the extra money I invested to replace a part that worked, even if not optimally.
                              My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

Working...
                              X