• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MountainCur
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2015

Alexander Arms Reloading Chart

So, I'm looking at loads and I've been searching here and there and I figured I'd go to the developers. I have the 123 NCCs ( in my experience nosler custom comps follow a sierra match king almost to a T) and so far the powders and load ranges that AA shows are all compressed. For instance...

30gr 748
    31.5 BLC-2

And that's where they start. They don't go much higher than that though. They stop at 30.5 of 748 and 31.8 of BLC-2. And they are using a CCI 450. Has anyone tried to replicate these? Do you find these to be a little hot? And why did AA just put these out and not start say at 27gr?

I tried Ramshot TAC yesterday and my little girl did NOT like it. At the highest I used 28 gr and I had one that punctured the primer. (I was using CCI 400). The best grouping was 2''. I was really hopping for that powder since I have 17lbs of it.

I know folks are going to say 8208 or Accurate 2520. Or even buy the dang manual. I can find neither powder online and as most of you I like to buy powder in quantity. And I'm just being a cheap ass on the manual. I already have 6 manuals but only one shows the grendel(nosler)! So I know I'll have to pony up and get the manual.

I guess I'm looking for a little advice. The powders I have on hand are....

748, 4895 (H and IMR), BLC-2, Varget(saving for my 308), 4350, Xterminator, 4831, H322, and probably some others I can't think of at the moment. Oh and Ramshot Tac but following Noslers book and testing loads that ended up sucking.
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

My go-to powder has always been BL-C(2). I shoot 123 amax over 30gr of BL-C(2) and have shot a 1 7/8" group at 525yds with that combination. I was also able to hit a couple of milk jugs at 1200yds with that load a week ago.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

BLC2 is great for the Grendel, as is TAC, and with lighter bullets, Xterminator. Back down 10% from max loads and work your load up to max in .2-.3 grain increments and you'll find a laser load.

Comment

• Kikn
        Warrior
        • Nov 2011

Sorry to hear about your issues. I and many others here have had good results with TAC using 123gr. Bullets. However, I have not had very good results using NCC 123 with any of the powders I've tried including TAC or XBR8208

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

I've had good results using CFE 223. I tried XBR8208, it has been a while so take this with a grain of salt, I seem to remember the accuracy being great, but the velocity was lacking (I'm confident in the latter).
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

There are a couple of loads in the AA chart that are essentially max loads without a decent starting load. So back off those loads 10% and work up.

Also note the COAL. You may find you cannot load out to mag length with some of these bullets.

I really like TAC, and have had success on a variety of projectiles. I've been able to duplicate AA results with 120 SMK at 28.8 gr of TAC and 2550 fps from my 24" gun.

I've been able to go above 28.0 gr with the 123 AMAX, 120 SMK, 120 BBT. I have not yet tried the NCCs, but have had great results so far with TAC and the 120 Berger BT Target.

Here is my best result from a OCW test with 28.8 gr of TAC at 300 meters:

That's a 1" diameter target.

Unfortunately, I've been distracted lately, and haven't had time to load up a bunch and see how they really group.

Check your COAL and make sure you're not jammed into the rifling. Start at 26.0 gr and work up slowly, and you'll find an accurate load.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

If you're reloading for the 6.5 Grendel, I can't recommend owning the reloading handbooks we put together enough. You will have more than enough data than you could imagine in most cases. The biggest difference with the 123gr NCC is seating depth, since it has a tangent ogive, but charge weights can be approached as if loading for 123gr SMK, Scenar, A-MAX, and SST. This is only true due to the cup and core nature of the pills, same weight, and bearing surface length being very similar between them all.

While their boat tails and ogives are significantly different, from a pressure-building standpoint, they are still very similar. The Lapua Scenar is the longest, with a very long ogive, and a very long boat tail, but same bearing surface. You could argue that the 123gr SST has less bearing surface with the cannelure acting as a relief band to an extent, but SST's tend to have thicker jackets than their target bullet counterparts when sectioned.

The 123gr NCC does have a similar boat tail to the 123gr Scenar, which is where it makes up for the short, tangent ogive in the BC department. The 123gr Scenar has the highest BC at .527 G1, and it is pretty obvious why when comparing them side-by-side.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MountainCur
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2015

Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I have enough of these noslers that I need to find a load. Question: So if this rifle dislikes the Nosler and TAC combined, could it potentially like an Amax 123 and TAC? Is there that much difference between the bullets? Would there be that much difference in the bearing surface?

I am going to try it with blc-2, 748, and exterminator. I load the test loads last night. If it wasn't snowing today and the next couple days I'd test them after work. (I'm blessed enough to live on a farm and I have a 600yd range here at the house and am developing separate 1400yd and 1000yd ranges north of the house. The 1400 will be steel and unknown distances and I'm going to make a kd 1000yd range with a static target carrier for my fclass addiction. Anyone is more than welcome to give me a holler and come up. My wife's a hell of a cook and she loves to feed people).

Comment

• MountainCur
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2015

Shoot, I was typing at the same time as you and by George you answered my question.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I would not use Xterminator with anything heavier than a 100gr cup and core. There is data for it on Western Powder's reloading pages, including 120gr SMK, but it peaks too fast with longer bearing surfaces and heavier weights. It's a good powder for 85gr-95gr varmint bullets.

My go-to powder is Hodgdon's CFE223 for anything 123gr. Velocities are significantly higher than almost every other powder, for a ball powder, it seems to be comparatively temp-stable, and accuracy is great.

What barrel/chamber do you have?
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Drift
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2014

Regarding that AA data, its for NBTs not NCC and BLC (2) and, "No I don't find them hot". They have shot (for me ) more accurately then TAC out of 4 different Grendel actions and 6 barrels. Sometime in the next century when I run short of BLC (2) I'll probably think about making CFE223 my go to powder, but it's going to take a while.

Comment

• MountainCur
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2015

My barrel is a Satern 18'' Grendel II 1-8.5

Its a little chilly for proper load testing tonight. Its looking like Wednesday or Thursday before it will be nice enough to do it.

That data that I looked at from AA was for the SMK. As I said I've found that the NCC and SMK are interchangeable.

Comment

• MountainCur
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2015

Is there any data on Hornady Super performance? I've found it for bigger stuff and smaller stuff but not the grendel. I know I need to buy the book and will soon, just trying to find something to work for what I have. I think I'm changing bullets.

Comment

• Drift
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

You may want to go to "Reloaders Nest" then go to the rifle section and look up the Grendle. The information there is a little old and not exhaustive, but it may help to get you started.

Comment

• MountainCur
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2015

Where you guys starting at with CFE 223? I actually found some. Had to drive two hours one way for it and another powder but hey I got some. Now I just need a hand. Thank you, gents.

Comment

Working...
                              X