• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biggins
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2015

Help the NEWB!

I recently started reloading for my AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel and am at a stand still.

Using the Redding Type S Bushing FL die and following all the stuff I've read up, I got the .288 bushing for the die (after measuring the factory brass and measuring the neck thickness .013x2 + .264 -.001 to .002 = .288

Went to the range to zero my gun and check out the once fired brass and this is where I'm stuck.

The factory ammunitions neck measures in at an average of 0.289 inches.
    My once fired cases measure between 0.298 - 0.299 inches (Grendel II chamber)

Will it be too much to neck size from 0.299 to 0.288 in one step? With the one .288 bushing? Or will it be necessary to get a bushing near the middle, say a .293 and have to neck size twice. Or another option maybe?

I see on their website that there usually isn't problems with neck sizing 0.01" but that is the max they state to do. So I'm curious of your opinions.

Also, why is the neck increased to .300 in the Grendel II Chamber from .293 in the Grendel? I thought the change was getting rid of the compound throat to allow a bit longer COAL. I didn't read anywhere about or why the increase in the part of the chamber where the neck of the cartridge is. (sorry dont know all the terminology )

I know that the .288 neck would leave around .004-.005" of room so 0.002" clearance around all sides of the bullet in the Grendel chamber, but wouldn't having 0.012" of space or 0.006" clearance around the whole bullet affect accuracy and brass life if it keeps stretching the neck it 0.01" every shot.

I've also read that people that people recommend not to use the Redding type S dies for gas guns. Is there any validity to this? I have them in .308 and loved them so I just went ahead and purchased them for my grendel.

Sorry for the run on topic, but thanks in advance for helping the N00b out!
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

The SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber has a .300" neck. The .264 LBC-AR chamber has a .295" neck. There are a lot of us who have been reloading for the Grendel now for many years, some of whom have shot the headstamps out of Lapua brass, and still have tight primer pockets, no split necks.

The "Grendel II" appears to be an attempt to engineer laziness into the reamer design, so that a barrel smith won't have to pay much attention to what is going on with the reamer throughout the life of the reamer. That's a bad situation with any caliber.

I just measured several full-length sized Alexander Arms stamped (Lapua) cases, that went through my Hornady New Dimension die set. Neck diameter is...

.288"

Factory Hornady 123gr SST loaded ammo neck with the projectile in tension is: .292"

The Grendel operates at up to 50,000psi, which is pretty low pressure compared to other modern center fire cartridges. This results in long component life, including throats, barrels, brass, and bolts.

There are many forum members using the Redding Type S bushing dies. Hopefully that answers your questions, and again, welcome aboard.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-17-2015, 06:05 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Buster
      Warrior
      • Mar 2012

I'm using the same dies you are and use the .287 bushing for Hornady brass.
      Last edited by Buster; 03-17-2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• 65Whelen
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Welcome aboard.

The SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber has a .300" neck. The .264 LBC-AR chamber has a .295" neck. There are a lot of us who have been reloading for the Grendel now for many years, some of whom have shot the headstamps out of Lapua brass, and still have tight primer pockets, no split necks.

The "Grendel II" appears to be an attempt to engineer laziness into the reamer design, so that a barrel smith won't have to pay much attention to what is going on with the reamer throughout the life of the reamer. That's a bad situation with any caliber.

I just measured several full-length sized Alexander Arms stamped (Lapua) cases, that went through my Hornady New Dimension die set. Neck diameter is...

.288"

Factory Hornady 123gr SST loaded ammo neck with the projectile in tension is: .292"

The Grendel operates at up to 50,000psi, which is pretty low pressure compared to other modern center fire cartridges. This results in long component life, including throats, barrels, brass, and bolts.

There are many forum members using the Redding Type S bushing dies. Hopefully that answers your questions, and again, welcome aboard.
        What he said.

Comment

• biggins
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2015

thanks for the replies! Now I have to start testing some loads for my rifle. Was lucky to grab the last 8lb jug of 8208 left at my local shooting range. So I should be set for a little bit.

I also pulled the trigger on a SD-E and was sold and purchased one that night from trading places pawn for 205 shipped. Cant wait to get back to the range! Hopefully I can grab some photos next time. I usually am having to much fun to remember.

Comment

Working...
          X