• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howling Coyote
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2014

I love this Wolf Gold

Just to update you guys on my results with this Grendel Wolf Gold 120gr ammo I purchased a couple weeks ago.
    I was a fond believer in the factory Hornady Amax and SST ammo as I still have 4 cases left to shoot. The Hornady is accurate and penetration is as expected. When used on our southern Yotes pass through are common. I have personally experienced yotes running 50 or so yards after the shot with their organs in tow before they expire. Other times I have seen yotes spin in circles and then off to the races they go. This type of hunting with the Hornady ammo is common.
    Now let's fast forward to just recently when I received a case of this Grendel Wolf Gold. If you haven't noticed I did a quick review a week or so ago explaining how these Wolf rounds zeroed in the same spot as the factory Hornady ammo that I have been shooting. How the Wolf rounds dropped 2 yotes and 2 pigs in there tracks. DRT!!
    Well I went out last night to try and see if the results would be the same as the previous week. Around 2am things started to pick up as I spotted a Yote mousing in a huge pivot field that I hunt. This field is 700 yds from side to side and this particular Yote was in search for something to eat. I was down wind of him and about 100 yards away when I took the shot. Again DRT!!
    I did a pup in distress call right after the shot and low and behold here comes another Yote heading my way from the left. He came to 80 yds and stopped to check me out and I sent a round towards him. He became a statue and tipped over in his tracks. Again DRT!!
    To make a long story short this went on until I had 5 dead coyotes spread out dead in front and to both sides of me.
    One very important common denominator that I noticed was that the yotes dropped in their tracks. It is a heck of a confidence booster to say the least and I have to give credit when credit is due. This Wolf ammo is accurate and drops its target in their tracks.
    Guys to be honest I don't target shoot and have no experience to how this ammo flies at 2-3-4-5-600 yds so I can't help you out in that respect. But what I can vouch for is my personal experience as to how this ammo puts down the yotes, so I thought I would share my experience with you.
    I also want to state that I am in no way affiliated with Wolf or Prvi Partizen in any way whatsoever.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Howling Coyote; 03-17-2015, 04:16 AM.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

HC - That is a very inspiring story, complete with a trophy shot to round it out. It makes for a very interesting discussion, I think, on just what it is about the Wolf pill that results in an instant dirt nap for those Coyotes. You didn't mention anything about penetration - were any rounds recovered?

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Wolves and Coyotes are natural enemies? Ok - that was not called for.

Anyway, nice shooting and thanks for posting your experience!
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Good report and appreciate you keeping it real. Keep up the good work!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

The Wolf MPT projectile jacket tapers from the nose to the base, where it is much thicker. This makes an excellent dual-purpose hunting and target bullet, as retained weight is excellent with the jacket construction, and it is a HPBT.

The brass on these is much better than the older 123gr Soft Point loads from PPU as well.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lamrith
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Great writeup and thanks for the info. I need to buy some of this when I see it.

Let us know if you found any bullets, or if all were pass thru. I am penciling this in as a hunting round, nice to spend a little less while practicing and hunting...
          Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
          18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
          SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
          16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
          Anderson Pistol lower:
          16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
          6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Howling Coyote
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2014

Now that I think of it and as you can tell from the pics, I don't remember seeing any pass thru. Most of my shots were front chest shots and a couple were shot at a slight quarter angle.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

FWIW--- I've always loved the Wolf (PPU) 120 MPT loading. It's cheaper, accurate, and runs great in all my grendels. It's been an all around drama free cartridge for me and my friends.

I never used it for hunting because people poo-pooed it around here for that back when it was new, and I already had my custom handloads (and then later Hornady factory). I have a friend that killed two rather large bucks with it though, and I've been thinking about trying it for that myself.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
              X