• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badmoon692008
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2015

Hello from Wisconsin!

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a few weeks trying to learn more about the 6.5 Grendel cartridge and was sent here by a few guys at my gun club that are members here as well. I've been planning to build an AR for a while now but just could never talk myself into spending the money on a gun that shot 2.23/5.56... I started looking around at other cartridges and came to the conclusion that the Grendel is the best bang for your buck in an AR platform. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so I'll probably be asking for lots of help. I'm semi-knowledgeable about guns, load my own for 9mm and 300 Win Mag currently, and own quite a few rifles and shotguns and pistols, but have very little experience with AR type guns so any helpful hints or guides you can point me to would be much appreciated. I've already learned a lot just lurking, and look forward to learning more and hopefully being able to contribute a little eventually.
    My favorite gun to shoot that I have right now is my .17 HMR because the bullet always goes where I'm pointing it.. That's my goal with the Grendel, and plan on hopefully having it built in time for deer season this fall.
    Last edited by badmoon692008; 03-18-2015, 01:32 PM.
  • 65Whelen
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Was that club Van Dyne? Your absolutely right, "the Grendel is the best bang for your buck in a AR platform", IMHO. This is a great Forum, lots of guys willing to help. You have questions, you've come to the right place. Welcome to the Horde.

Comment

• badmoon692008
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
      Was that club Van Dyne? Your absolutely right, "the Grendel is the best bang for your buck in a AR platform", IMHO. This is a great Forum, lots of guys willing to help. You have questions, you've come to the right place. Welcome to the Horde.
      Yep, that was me

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard, great bunch of people hang out here.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Welcome aboard!

Your situation sounds a lot like mine when i got into ar's. Only I did buy one 223 but now i am thinking about getting rid of it and going all grendel. I have two now and another on the way. I also thought about building one but AA and PF can build them much better than i trust myself to so i leave that up to them and i stick to fixing wrecked cars.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 65Whelen
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post
            Yep, that was me
            You have questions or needs some help with your Grendel build don't be bashful be more than willing to help.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Welcome and glad to have you aboard.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post
                  My favorite gun to shoot that I have right now is my .17 HMR because the bullet always goes where I'm pointing it..
                  I didn't have any Grendel ammo loaded up, so when my son came home for spring break and wanted to go shooting, I took my Savage .17 HMR and he brought his 5.56 and we practiced shooting steel and water-filled plastic bottles and had a great time. The little .17 was shooting great - under 1 MOA and even though I was shooting standing off-hand, it wouldn't miss. I forgot how great (and relatively inexpensive ) it was to shoot. But this coming weekend, I need to get serious with the Grendel and finalize my hog load for our May hunt.
                  My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Welcome, I think you will be happy with your Grendel. What part of Wisconsin are you in? I have relatives in Tomahawk.

Comment

• badmoon692008
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
                      I didn't have any Grendel ammo loaded up, so when my son came home for spring break and wanted to go shooting, I took my Savage .17 HMR and he brought his 5.56 and we practiced shooting steel and water-filled plastic bottles and had a great time. The little .17 was shooting great - under 1 MOA and even though I was shooting standing off-hand, it wouldn't miss. I forgot how great (and relatively inexpensive ) it was to shoot. But this coming weekend, I need to get serious with the Grendel and finalize my hog load for our May hunt.
                      Mine is a savage as well... it shoots so sweet, and that accutrigger really is nice... the best part is I bought mine brand new, put a nicer stock on it, scope and scope mounts and a bipod and I have just over $400 bucks into it... That's some good affordable accurate shooting right there.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• badmoon692008
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by montana View Post
                        Welcome, I think you will be happy with your Grendel. What part of Wisconsin are you in? I have relatives in Tomahawk.
                        I live up in the Neenah area, but work in Fond du Lac, and go to a range in Van Dyne... It works out nice cuz it's on the way home from work...

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Welcome in bad moon. Good to have more in the upper Midwest in the Grrr game !

Nice boltie !!!! Damn, that's cool ! My younger bro lives in upper Wisconsin. Near Lake Sup.

Comment

• rball
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2014

Welcome! Beloit area here, and I am in the process of building a 6.5 Grendel myself.

Comment

Working...
                            X