Will the Lee Pro 1000 press work for Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigbrianaustin
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2014

Will the Lee Pro 1000 press work for Grendel?

I have searched Lee's site, but can't find a definitive answer for this. I have the chance to pick up a Lee Pro 1000 for cheap and would like to be able to crank out rounds a little faster than with a single-stage. I see that it can do 223 because they are sold as a complete setup with dies, etc. but I can't find the limitations on the size, as it just says pistol and some small rifle. Anyone have experience with these that could give me an answer would be greatly appreciated.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

It will work for the Grendel. I have several I use for pistol calibers. I do decap and prime seperately, because the primer operation of all the progressives leaves a bit to be desired as far as I'm concerned, but I can crank out 4-500 pistol rounds an hour on mine.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

It will work, however be mindful of the built-in run-out of Lee 1,000 and the Load-Master.

I have a Lee Loadmaster but use it for handgun only.

By run-out I mean the case is presented to the die at varying angles depending on the case base diameter. The top die holder has three die holes; the same axis for all calibres. The bottom case holder disk is also the same diameter for all calibres but with different slot holders specific to the calibre you want. All cases regardless of calibre are held in the bottom case holder in line with the outside diameter of the holder. The smaller the calibre the more the case axis will be closer to the outside diameter of the case holder disk. The more run-out there will be. There is a bit of slop in the way the case is held but small calibres still go into the dies on a slight inward angle.

If you want to be extremely precise with your reloading you will choose a press where the bore axis of the die is exactly in line with the case holder below, like a single stage.

Lee 1000 Disks
      Last edited by Klem; 03-19-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Haven't checked but does Lee make a shell plate/holder that fits the Grendel? I load all my rifle rounds on a single stage press, mostly a Forster Coax.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          Haven't checked but does Lee make a shell plate/holder that fits the Grendel? I load all my rifle rounds on a single stage press, mostly a Forster Coax.
          6.5Grendel is 6.5*39, based on the 220Russian and 7.6*39.

Yes, Lee makes disks for this calibre. It's #12 for the Lee 1000 and #12L for the Loadmaster.

Comment

• bigbrianaustin
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2014

Awesome! Thanks for the answers guys. I have been looking for a good all-around press, and although I have experience with a single stage, I was wanting to get a little more out of the process. I will still load my hunting rounds on the single, but think I should be able to spit out target rounds a little quicker.

Comment

• lamrith
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Everyone has talked about if it will fit the Pro, have you considered the loadmaster?
              I will tell you as an owner of both, spend the extra few dollars and get the Loadmaster. It is just the next level up in press and the extra 2 stations really open up your options when reloading. I had a Pro for 2 months, sold, it got a loadmaster and could not be happier. A Loadmaster with set of dies ready to go is like $250shipped on ebay right now. Your choice of 9mm, 40, 45, 223.. I already had 9mm and 40 dies, and wanted to start 223 so grabbed that version. Same ability to preset turrets up and easier to swap out the baseplate.

FYI - paypall Bill Me Later always runs specials, $99+ gets no interest no min payments for 6mos.. Just pay it off by 6 months and you are golden..
              Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
              18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
              SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
              16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
              Anderson Pistol lower:
              16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
              6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

Working...
              X