* Buffer Tube came with stock
    * H2 buffer
    * Quality recoil spring
    * Magpul UBR
    * Receiver end plate incorporated in stock
    * Lock nut not needed with UBR tube
    * Magpul MIAD grip

Recommended upgrades:
    * Cerakote on all external metal parts, including barrel, receivers, steel fasteners, scope mount, lock ring, end plate, extension tube, especially for a hunting gun that will likely see inclimate weather. Cerakote makes maintenance a breeze.

I'm lucky and have a guy at work that will cerakote for cost, so that's no problem

* Trigger

* Best optic and mount you can get

* Black nitride bolt carrier

Alright, I made a big order from PF this morning and highlighted in red above everything that I have.
    Well based on the fact that everything is red now I think I should be alright... now it's just waiting for my barrel and upper and lower to ship... I wanted to stay on a budget and take my time, but then I got impatient and I kept talking myself into getting what I wanted instead of what was in my budget, and I ended up spending $250 on a stock and $300 on a handguard... don't tell my girlfriend please!...
    Parts started showing up... now I just want to hurry up and get it built! the wait is killing me!
    (ignore the black specs in the picture.. the camera on my phone is jacked...)
    Attached Files

Comment

• badmoon692008
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2015

Handguard showed up yesterday... Now just waiting on the first order of barrel, upper, and lower, along with associated parts from PF... listing said 3-4 weeks and today is exactly 3 weeks, so hoping it should be soon! How do you guys wait months for barrels? I'm at 3 weeks and I'm going crazy!
      Attached Files

Comment

• badmoon692008
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2015

Well I had myself all talked into not spending anymore money... and then I remembered I hadn't gotten a scope or mounts yet, and my barrel should be shipping by the end of the week... and there's no way I'm gonna shoot the gun for a few months without any sights on it... so that didn't last long. Ended up going with the Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 and the LaRue LT104-VFZ... Hopefully that's close to the last of it... I'm well well over my budget by now...

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post
          I'm well well over my budget by now...
          So just pretend it's a government project and don't even think twice about it. . . .
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• badmoon692008
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2015

scope and scope mounts showed up last week... I was upset when I got the LaRue box.... Man that thing felt heavy... and then I opened it up and holy cow do they throw in the extras.... Just got the phone call that my upper, lower, barrel, and the rest of my parts showed up... now I have to resist the urge to take a half day of vacation to go pick them up...
            Attached Files

Comment

• badmoon692008
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2015

Well the charging handle doesn't cycle and the trigger won't work if with the safety selector installed... but at least is looks nice...
              IMG_6629.jpg

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

I'm getting a chuckle from your experience since I have had many "what the #%#@" moments in my past with my many AR builds. I use only true mil spec buffer tubes, parts and reliable receivers with all of my new builds today. This is why if you ever visit a person who has built many AR rifles they will have a huge parts selection on hand. The extra parts are not all from up grades. By the way it is a nice looking rifle.

Comment

• badmoon692008
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2015

Well, finally had a chance to get it out today... Shot great. Tiny problem with chambering the first round out of a full magazine. The main thing I'm a little worried about it what looks like brass deposits on my bolt face. The brass is a little beat up looking, but not anything I'd be worried about, and the primers are a little flattened, but again, not enough I'd be worried. Is it normal to see brass on the bolt face or is this something to be concerned about?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by badmoon692008; 05-17-2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2015

As a point of interest in following this thread, can you tell me what your Handguard is?

Nice job on your build and looks like very nice accuracy.

Comment

• badmoon692008
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by BigStickSmoker View Post
                      As a point of interest in following this thread, can you tell me what your Handguard is?

Nice job on your build and looks like very nice accuracy.
                      Hand guard is made by Lancer... I really like how it looks, and have no problems with it, but knowing what I know now about how AR's work, would probably have avoided it because of its utilization of a receiver extension to mount the hand guard and adding one more point for loss of accuracy where the barrel mounts...

In reality, it's likely to never cause a problem, but I dislike it on principle... I haven't had any problems with accuracy with this gun, and everything has held tight, so I have no complaints....

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

The brass shavings come from really sharp extractor lips and ejector face edges, things I deal with before even putting the bolt into the carrier.

Did you install a Forward Assist and Ejection port door by any chance?
                        Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-20-2015, 04:07 PM.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• badmoon692008
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          The brass shavings come from really sharp extractor lips and ejector face edges, things I deal with before even putting the bolt into the carrier.

Did you install a Forward Assist and Ejection port door by any chance?
                          I did install the forward assist and door before I fired it... I remedied the sharp extractor after some advice from guys at work and the brass shavings have lessened significantly...

Side note... took it out past 200 yards for the first time ever yesterday, went to a public range that has a 500+ yard range with gongs... pulled up hornady's bullet drop calculator, gongs were at 570 yards.. called for 15.4 MOA drop, dialed in 15.5 on the scope, lined up... HIT FIRST SHOT! (According to the guy next to us it was a 12 inch gong) I was pretty impressed... I'm a big big fan of this gun and this cartridge...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Yup.. I put kids on the Grendel and they are usually making 1st-round hits right off the bat. 500yds is literally child's play with this cartridge, even from my 16" Grendel. You have way less wind deflection than most of the factory ammo and cartridges out there, certainly in a cartridge of its size.

I can't think of anything that compares well with it when you look at the low recoil, wind-cheating, and retained energy on target. I think a lot of people hear or read these things repeated, but you just have to see it for yourself to appreciate how beneficial the features are when they all line up from within the AR15.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
                              Bloodstained
                              • Apr 2015

Congrats on some good work with your own build!

I just went out with a commercially purchased Grendel yesterday with my test rounds. My best group at 100 you could cover with a dime with just the outside splash of the impact showing.

I can't wait to load up some more and put it some time into it like I have my other firearms. I figure if I can cover a .338 Win Mag with a quarter at 200, I am REALLY going to like the Grendel.

I love how you all encourage this new Grendel shooter, especially this thread....AR for Dummies.

Thank you!

PS. And the encouragement to start my own build...A Wulfie...Beowulf. My apologies for the brief hijack, but I have loved watching this and other journey's along with my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X