• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southern180
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2015

Quiet Stock

Been shooting the AA 6.5 a few times now and looking for a quiet collapsible stock,
    mine is a MOE and can rattle alittle side to side . Thinking about noise when sitting in a stand and deer are close and you still need to shoulder your weapon. Any ideas??
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Poor man's solution: Put some duct tape or velcro inside the stock where it slides against the extension tube.

Next up: CTR with friction clamp

I like to Cerakote all mine, which gives a little bore thickness to the tube, so there is less rattle.

There are some newer stocks that have leaf springs in them which provide constant pressure against the bottom of the extension tube to quiet everything down, and make a more secure feel for your stock weld.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• southern180
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Poor man's solution: Put some duct tape or velcro inside the stock where it slides against the extension tube.

Next up: CTR with friction clamp

I like to Cerakote all mine, which gives a little bore thickness to the tube, so there is less rattle.

There are some newer stocks that have leaf springs in them which provide constant pressure against the bottom of the extension tube to quiet everything down, and make a more secure feel for your stock weld.
      Nice idea have lots of Velcro,

Comment

• lead chucker
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

I just built a new lower using the mission first minimalist. There is no rattle at all, in fact its so tight it was hard to extend it until you do it 15 to 20 times. I like it, light and no rattle.

Comment

• jurassic
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

I think the engineers designing collapsible stocks have a tough time, tight enough not to rattle, fit every make of buffer tube out there, but have enough room to function in dirty conditions. I have the new bravo company gunfighter (I think it has the leaf spring), it's light and fits better than my CTR's I've had in the past. The MFT sat in my closet forever before I installed it, it's now my favorite. The rounded, curved in heel makes if more comfortable for me, also it just works better and is quiet when opening or closing. I also like the hole in the top that lines up with the numbered markings on the Spikes Tactical buffer tube.

With all that said, I'm ready to try the new Magpul MOE SL, I've read a lot of good ink about it.

On another note I really liked the MOE A2 replacement stock, but the length of pull was just too long.

Comment

• wheelguner
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

I use the MAGPUL ACS on my Lite Hunter Grendel. It has zero rattle when locked down. This is a quote from their site:

"the ACS also features a supplemental friction lock system that minimizes excessive stock movement for enhanced weapon stability and accuracy*"

Comment

• mburnz
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2015

I have an Ergo FRS 93 on mine and there's no rattle to that. The buffer tube is a part of the stock so I think that helps. It allows them to make them to tighter specs.

Comment

• Kikn
                Warrior
                • Nov 2011

No rattle on the Magpul UBR its a pretty solid collapsible stock.

Comment

• lamrith
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

It is a tad on the heavy side but the Ergo F93 locks in place nice and tight. Get in your stand set length and off you go.

Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                  18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                  SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                  16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                  Anderson Pistol lower:
                  16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                  6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• texascop
                    Unwashed
                    • May 2015

I have tried the MOE and ACS, both rattled when stalking. I just went with the UBR. This stock is expensive and kinda heavy, but rock solid and collapses nicely. Plus I could use my carbine springs and buffers. I put a piece of 1/8" foam on the cheek rest and a limbsaver butt pad on it.

Comment

• Laserjock
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2015

Thirds on the Ergo F93.

Do NOT! buy the magpul version whatever you do. It uses shims to time the stock. They really screwd up the design when they licensed it.

That said I have a PRS on another lower.

Look at the Ace fixed or adjustables also.

Comment

• lamrith
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

I recently got a B5 Sopmod to replace the generic 6 position stock on one AR. Fits nice and tight on milspec buffer. F93 might be quieter, but also more $ and lot heavier.
                        Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                        18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                        SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                        16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                        Anderson Pistol lower:
                        16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                        6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Ace SOCOM is solid and quiet. So is the Magpul CTS.

A bit lighter than either, the Battlelink BMSMIL is very quiet, with an excellent, beard friendly, cheek weld. If the open nature of the butt stock is bothersome, there is a neat video on the use of 550 cord to close that gap.
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• oldbarnowl
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2015

Try replacing the spring with a flat wire spring. My next purchase to get rid of the boing...

Comment

• 65Whelen
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lead chucker View Post
                              I just built a new lower using the mission first minimalist. There is no rattle at all, in fact its so tight it was hard to extend it until you do it 15 to 20 times. I like it, light and no rattle.
                              I'll second the Mission First Battlelink stock. Nice tight fit, no rattle and it is 5oz lighter than the Magpul ACS I switched from.

Comment

Working...
                              X