Reloading differences for Grendel and Grendel II chambers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captk
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Reloading differences for Grendel and Grendel II chambers.

Not sure if this is the right forum or not. Please bear with me on my question. I built 2 Grendels, 1 with a Brownells 24" (cut down to 21") barrel and 1 with a Doublestar 20" bull barrel. Both rifle have been flawless using Hornady factory ammo. I know the Brownells barrel is Grendel II chamber, I don't know which chamber is in the Double Star. When the cases are reloaded using FL dies, it should be back to factory specs. Do I need to keep the cases separate from each rifle? I was thinking since they are FL resized that it wouldn't matter, they should be factory spec when reloaded.
    Let me also state I have not reloaded 1 round yet, have a ton of supplies and plan on reloading my own ammo when I retire in another couple of years.
    I still have factory ammo, just need to know if I should keep the brass separate by barrel.
    Thanks, Ken
  • Bwild97
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

If you have the Hornady B-350 comparator, measure 10 or more fired cases from each rifle. If they measure relatively similar... Within a few thousandths, set shoulder bump back to the shorter case. You shouldn't have to keep brass separate from Grendel to Grendel.

Comment

• Captk
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2014

I don't have the comparator but will look into getting one. Thanks for the info.
      ken

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

It seems that the major differences among Grendel variants are the throat and neck details.

The actual chamber dimensions, to date, have been consistent enough that the standard full-lengthsize washes put the differences

Both chambers digesting factory ammo with good reliability and accuracy is very encouraging. That gives hope that one can develop handloads that work well in both chambers too.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have a J & T distributing 6.5 Grendel which is a sister company to Double Star. The J&T/DS use a SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber with compound throat.

Comment

• lrgrendel
            Warrior
            • Jul 2013

I think I understand what you mean. Someone chime in if I am wrong.

Basically if for example you happen to pick up some "range" brass and FL resize it. It is good to go in any Saami spec chamber of the same caliber.

Now assuming both of your Grendel's are to Saami spec??? AND you have full length resize, you do not need to separate your brass.

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

That's what most us do with scrounged brass in other calibers.

Consider the millions of rounds of once-fired brass sold over the years.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Captk
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2014

I ordered the Hornady Comparator 5 bushing set, should be here next week.
                I plan to use 120 - 123 gr projectiles and CFE223 powder. Any suggestions in the 120 - 123 range? My 1st choice is 123 AMAX but I'm open to suggestions.
                Ken
                Last edited by Captk; 03-26-2015, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X