• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Xsteel targets price reduction

This was posted on another forum i frequent. Thought some of yall might be interested.

Industry leading AR500 and AR550 steel shooting targets. Our products are laser cut from the highest quality material you can buy. From reactive moving targets to stationary plinking steel we have it all. Custom cut orders welcome! Get your premium targets in round, square, moving or fun novelty types today.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail
  • PigOPs
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Thanks! I just ordered one... Do you know if this can handle 6.5G at 100 or does it need to be at 200?

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I've shot 1/2" AR 500 at less that 100 yards with up to 7mm WSM without issues. However, at closer ranges you run a real risk of bounceback, and supersonic jackets bouncing back can be downright scary. Grendel at 100 will be fine as far as the steel is concerned, but try to angle the steel so that fragmentation is deflected downwards. Google "50 cal bounce back" for an extreme example!

Comment

• PigOPs
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2014

I was planning on hanging mine from chain... would that not deflect it into the ground? Is there a better method?

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Reflection is at the same angle as impact +\- angle of deflection of the target. That's why pistol steel is canted away (deflection) from the shooter at the bottom. Hanging at a 90 degree angle from the shooter, it will reflect straight back IF there is no deflection. Hanging steel is moving at impact, so the risk is very low, but not zero, as seen in the clip mentioned above. I've had pieces of jacket bounce back at 50 yards with 5.56 and Grendel, but just like pistol jackets at closer ranges, it's always created minimal issues. I've never had it draw blood, but I can't say that about pistol frags. Almost every steel challenge match I shoot, someone catches some small pieces of fragment on bare skin and gets nicked.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            Google "50 cal bounce back" for an extreme example!
            IIRC, that shooter said something to the effect of "Last one they'll ever do of those." followed by "Am I bleeding?". That round came back with a LOT of energy. File under "What were they thinking?"
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              IIRC, that shooter said something to the effect of "Last one they'll ever do of those." followed by "Am I bleeding?". That round came back with a LOT of energy. File under "What were they thinking?"
              Yup! Of course a .50 has 13,000+ pounds of muzzle energy, vs the 1600 or so of the Grendel!

Comment

• PredatorDown
                Warrior
                • Jun 2014

I hang all of my gongs in a similar fashion to this

AR600 | AR500 steel targets. CNC Laser Cut USA Steel, zinc plated. Premium steel shooting targets, target stands and reactive gongs. Veteran owned and operated since 2012.

I usually put the smaller gongs at slightly more of an angle than the bigger ones. It helps them calm down faster after being hit since less energy is absorbed

Comment

Working...
                X