X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drbs
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

yup this was a fired case...flipping great info...thank you all !!!!!

Comment

• lead chucker
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by drbs View Post
      yup this was a fired case...flipping great info...thank you all !!!!!
      If it happens when you seat the bullet its not the rifle doing it, its the seating die. Just set your die up from the directions and see if it stops.

Comment

• drbs
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2014

thank you chucker...I'll read the directions

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

There is compression on your shoulder and side wall junction during the sizing process, not seating, is what it looks like. This is a very common occurrence when beginning to reload.

It has to do with die set-up. You want to set up the die with the ram in full extension upwards, with the case in a shell holder. Turn down your sizing die at that point. There are detailed reloading procedures in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks, but your die manufacturer will have instructions that cover this also.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• REB
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2013

I have to disagree. If the seating die is adjusted too far down it will smash the shoulder down exactly like the one in the picture. The seating die can also crimp and this looks like to much crimp.

As shown in the pictures the sized case is fine, this is happening during the seating step.

As other have stated adjust the body of the seating die up so the case does not contact the crimp ring and then readjust the seating stem down for proper OAL.
            Last edited by REB; 03-26-2015, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• drbs
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2014

Thanks all. Now I have some things to re-check this weekend on my set up

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by REB View Post
                I have to disagree. If the seating die is adjusted too far down it will smash the shoulder down exactly like the one in the picture. The seating die can also crimp and this looks like to much crimp.

As shown in the pictures the sized case is fine, this is happening during the seating step.

As other have stated adjust the body of the seating die up so the case does not contact the crimp ring and then readjust the seating stem down for proper OAL.
                I looked back at the pics, and I think you're partially right, although I don't see any signs of crimp on the neck. As kmon suspected, I'm thinking maybe no mouth chamfer.

My initial response was meant to address this as a reloading process problem, not a firing problem. The sized case looks fine, whereas the loaded cartridge shows the problem at the wall-shoulder junction. Something is exerting stress on the case to the point that it is deforming during the bullet seating process.

Normally, the seating bushing is floating or lightly sprung, so it wouldn't do this to a case. Something else with enough force has to be compressing the brass to cause the deformation.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• drbs
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2014

Could the speed of the ram have any effect....just wondering.

Does the seating die only seat the bullet. No effect on outside diameter? So if I'm not interested in a crimp I don't need to be close(?) to the case. A full turn off the case makes no difference???

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

What dies do you have again?

I personally only use the seating stem to seat bullets, with no crimp. Nothing else touches the case than the bullet and the floating seater.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lead chucker
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

I use the hornady dies for Grendel also. When I first set up my seating die I set it up like I would a RCBS die without reading my directions. I was seeing this exact thing. I went back and set the die up by the directions and seen where I went wrong and havnt seen a bulge since. If the die is scewed in like most dies are set up it will cause this. The die must be screwed out more than you would think. Its all in the directions. Like most men we don't like to read them but in this case they come in very handy when brass is a buck a piece!

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Unless Lee Co. , has upped their game- use them as a depth finder while fishing. The dies I purchased here in 2008- sucked so bad! Over worked the brass, enuff to weaken it to 7 reloads.

Split case necks were the problem. A many of us understood the growing pains of a new start up company - from a guy from England-Bill A. No company would sign on, wow.

HE DID HIS BEST TO PUSH FORWARD! And he now has a nice-small, yet growing company based off the Grendel- Beowulf, etc. rounds-rifles that they produce.

I use Forster, Hornady dies only - lately.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Cut your brass to 1.515 oal. Bump the shoulder about .002-.003. Feel it out, thru the BCG- cycling, or not.

This is the easiest round that I have loaded in my life....

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by drbs View Post
                            Could the speed of the ram have any effect....just wondering.

Does the seating die only seat the bullet. No effect on outside diameter? So if I'm not interested in a crimp I don't need to be close(?) to the case. A full turn off the case makes no difference???
                            Ram speed is not very important - I go slow only to improve my feel for how the bullets are seating.

The hornady seating dies will seat and, when adjusted to do so, apply a taper crimp.

If you have the seating die screwed in too far, it can and will cause the symptoms you are seeing. As several have already said; "Read the manual". There are also several videos from the different die manufactures online which can help you, if the newness of it is confusing you.
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• REB
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              I looked back at the pics, and I think you're partially right, although I don't see any signs of crimp on the neck. As kmon suspected, I'm thinking maybe no mouth chamfer.

My initial response was meant to address this as a reloading process problem, not a firing problem. The sized case looks fine, whereas the loaded cartridge shows the problem at the wall-shoulder junction. Something is exerting stress on the case to the point that it is deforming during the bullet seating process.

Normally, the seating bushing is floating or lightly sprung, so it wouldn't do this to a case. Something else with enough force has to be compressing the brass to cause the deformation.

Comment

• drbs
                                Bloodstained
                                • Dec 2014

thank you thank you thank you all....this has help a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X