X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZ. Old Guy
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Did you draw a tag? I just found out Friday I drew a 6B Mulie tag for November. Probably use my Grendel and the 120 TTSX. Sorry didn't see above post.
    NRA Lifer

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Congrats Lamrith and AZ Old Guy on the tag drawings. Good luck on the hunts

Comment

• Savage Shooter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
        Ended up drawing 34A for Oct 22-29! Coues deer it is. Time to get back out there and put more lead downrange and get ready!
        So, since your target is smaller and light skinned are you going to go with the AMAX or SSTs? I don't think you will need a GMX or TSX / TTSX or Partitions but might benefit from higher velocity and better BCs on the SSTs . However, I am curious if you have results to share on your testing to date with your previously mentioned loads.
        My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• lamrith
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
          So, since your target is smaller and light skinned are you going to go with the AMAX or SSTs? I don't think you will need a GMX or TSX / TTSX or Partitions but might benefit from higher velocity and better BCs on the SSTs . However, I am curious if you have results to share on your testing to date with your previously mentioned loads.
          I do not have any testing and do not have access to Gels to do testing myself.

I was told this by one hunter/shooter that is a member here and after thinking about it, it just makes sense:
          You're spitting a more than supersonic piece of metal of substantial weight through a living creature, which rarely has a chest thicker than 24". Most Grendel projectiles penetrate that far with expansion.
          So I am most likely going to go with the 123grn Amax. Reason being I have 100+rnds of it already, my gun shoots it EXTREMELY well and hundreds if not thousands of game animals were taken with the bullet before any of these new bullets ever existed. For deer I think it will work extremely well. Elk, that is a different story but I do not have plans to hunt elk with Rifle at this point.
          Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
          18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
          SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
          16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
          Anderson Pistol lower:
          16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
          6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Roe
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Here you go, a number of deer shot with 123 and 140 Amax, allthough at velocities higher than Grendel. It works fine, I've shot deer in the hundreds with them.

Comment

• achristian8
              Warrior
              • Jun 2014

I have shot (5) whitetail deer with the SST. All were at a distance of roughly 200 yards and all fell where they stood. IMHO the SST is one of the best if not the best hunting round out there.
              Adam

Comment

Working...
              X