• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Another couplle of goats

Was awake well before I needed to be this morning but we (Lyne, Bruno and I) left home just before 7am and was on the rabbit face about a 1/2 hour after first light - about 1/2 past 8. I would really like to have someone with me who was either quick with a semi auto 22 or had a little upland gun in 410 or 28g andI had a lot of rabbits jump from under my feet or from close enough that I couldn't get onto them with the heavy 20 VT. I have tried taking a 22 with me but there are so many shots out past where the 22 has authority and another time I took the SxS 12G but there are to many pellets so only carrying one gun means the 20 VT gets the nod every time. It was 7 rabbits for 7 shots and they were all adult animals so still a good bag and then on up up to have a look for a goat or two. I stopped at the top of the track and walked down toward the bluffs and saw a little mob but while they were only at 235 yds when I got as close as the terrain would allow and I couldn't have got to them from there so it was back to the truck and further round the track so I could get into the bluffs from a different direction.
    Because I knew there were animals there it was a carefull stalk into where I thought they might be, but I saw another one in a different area about 80-90 yds away and it was on top of a rock that would have it away down and unrecoverable if it didn't drop to the shot so a spine shot did the trick but even so it still fell with its head over the edge and a single twitch would have seen it away and gone.
    I started to get down toward it and about 5 started out of a little hidden gut and made their way around the face but it was a bit far down and I though one would do so left them and continued toward the one I had got and was almost there and I see another one layind down and breathing harshly and my forst thought was how the heck did that happen. I just couldn't fathom how the second one had been hit as it was about 30 yds away from the first one and then it woke up as it had been in a sound sleep. It ran about another 30 yds and hid behind a bush butleft enough outline that I could see where the shoulder was so a second shot had it down as well. A couple of nice young animals with the first one being a nanny and the second one a billy.
    I dressed them out and started the treck back up to the saddle where I could call out to Lyne to come and get the rifle as I had been leap froging with one goat and the rifle for 30-50 yds and then going back for the other. When Lyne arrived I was able to carry them both at the same time while she took the rifle but there were still a few stops on the way.
    Back at the truck, it was a welcome break for a cup of tea and a refreshing of self within that country.

This is where the first one fell, right on the edge

A vid

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Back at the truck

Dressed out and hung for the night. Will break them down in the morning as it is still too warm to leave them any longer.

And then the rabbits jointed and in brine ready for the fridge

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Many of us would like to be where you are!

Thanks for the update!
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Great story and pictures, thank you for posting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Sweet video. The terrain looks just like what we have here in Utah in the Wasatch front. Very thin air, steep inclines, and dry vegetation, although your West Coast forest is quite green on the South Island.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

I was very tempted to load with cast bullets for the day as I had given quite a few to a friend who is a professional shooter and he had taken a few goats with them over a not much more than plinking load of 10.5 gr Blue Dot for about 1700fps where I load 11gn for about 1750fps. Good accuracy and Euan dropped his goats at 70 and just over 100 yds (if I remember correctly).
            Because I don't get to do as much shooting as Euan with his pest destruction business (he shoots every day) I was more inclined to go for safety and be certain of a kill at ranges that were not suited to cast and as it was it proved when I got onto the first mob so I was pleased I had loaded the 123gn A Max at 2700fps as it has shown it will take any goat I am inclined to point it at. There was almost no bruising with either shot so no meat loss although the first one with the spine shot does have a little with the shattered spine and the second one has none at all. Maybe a half handful between the two of them. The more I use this rifle the higher regard I have for it and the GM cartridge

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• ramslammer
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2014

G'Day Von Gruff
              Got my mold sitting here unused as yet. I'd like to thank you for letting us use your design because it's a nice looking boolit. Hope to have the Grendel sorted out before I go goat hunting this year myself as I reckon it'll be just right. In fact I'm hoping it'll be ready by Doe season, it shouldn't have any trouble on Fallow.
              Juddy

Comment

• dmsims21
                Warrior
                • Nov 2012

Well done Von Gruff. Thanks for sharing your story.
                www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Von Gruff
                  Chieftain
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ramslammer View Post
                  G'Day Von Gruff
                  Got my mold sitting here unused as yet. I'd like to thank you for letting us use your design because it's a nice looking boolit. Hope to have the Grendel sorted out before I go goat hunting this year myself as I reckon it'll be just right. In fact I'm hoping it'll be ready by Doe season, it shouldn't have any trouble on Fallow.
                  Juddy
                  Your very welcome. Euan showed me some pics of the goats he shot with them and it was a end for end pass through with 1" hole through lungs and exit through the ham and only a couple of steps were taken before the big fall. Very little bruising and no meat loss.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                  X