• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

X-Ray Spectrometry of Cartridge Brass

They also have one on more precise Sartorious Magnetic Scales, that measure powders down to the kernel, for the serious reloader.

Successful long-range shooters know that careful weighing of powder charges helps them achieve superior long-range accuracy. By maintaining powder charges within very narrow weight tolerances, hand-loaders can produce ammo with more consistent muzzle velocities from shot to shot.

I love accurate shooter, especially as spring warms things up and all the good ideas from winter start to come out.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Savage Shooter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

What the accurate shooter article didn't say was whether or not they tested several lots of brass produced over a long time period to see if the readings were close to the same across the different lots. The various manufacturers likely have contracts with their suppliers to provide a certain amount of raw material, but in the last few years, the manufacturers might source from a variety of sources without STRICT specifications so as not to have a shortage of raw materials. The characteristics measured in the chart might not be that critical to the brass manufacturers, and thus the alloy content might vary from lot to lot. The "experts" in the article couldn't say if one make-up of brass was "better" than another, so it's possible that various lots would have the gamut of brass characteristics in the chart even from within the same manufacturer.

Has anyone ever had contact with one of the major brass/cartridge suppliers on the topic? IF it makes a difference in brass workability, resizing and life AND the manufacturers don't tightly control the brass metalurgy, then that would introduce another "sorting" variable.

I sort my brass by manufacturer and then weight sort my brass and also sort for # of reloads/firings, but I sure don't keep track of the lot source (or measure) for alloy content.
    My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Savage Shooter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

I found this info doing some research on the Hornady site on some .380 ammo. http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto-90-gr-XTP/

Select Cases
      Hornady produces most of the brass for Hornady Custom pistol ammo. All other brass is chosen to ensure it meets our unusually high standards for reliable feeding, corrosion resistance, proper hardness and the ability to withstand maximum chamber pressures.

So, Hornady does at least make some of its own and purchases some - and it would appear that they are concerned about specific metallurgy.
      My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
        I found this info doing some research on the Hornady site on some .380 ammo. http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto-90-gr-XTP/

Select Cases
        Hornady produces most of the brass for Hornady Custom pistol ammo. All other brass is chosen to ensure it meets our unusually high standards for reliable feeding, corrosion resistance, proper hardness and the ability to withstand maximum chamber pressures.

So, Hornady does at least make some of its own and purchases some - and it would appear that they are concerned about specific metallurgy.
        Have to wonder if proper hardness for one caliber is different than another. Or if the difference in 30,000 PSI pistol cases and 60,000+ PSI is simply made up in thickness?

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I posted these articles thinking they were the April fools jokes. Here is the real April fools article:

Top Barrel Makers Using Degaussing Technology http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ng-technology/

Maybe somebody really did use X-Ray Spectrometry to measure the different brass, and use the scale that measures down to the kernel.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            I posted these articles thinking they were the April fools jokes. Here is the real April fools article:

Top Barrel Makers Using Degaussing Technology http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ng-technology/

Maybe somebody really did use X-Ray Spectrometry to measure the different brass, and use the scale that measures down to the kernel.

Well, they certainly use the Sartorius scale, there are numerous online articles that discuss it.

Successful long-range shooting demands very uniform ammo. Weighing charges carefully can make shot velocities more uniform within a shot string. Uniformity of velocities is good, because lower ES translates to less vertical dispersion of the shots at long range.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Thats just a couple. But the drilling grains of powder article was classic!

Comment

• Savage Shooter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

I didn't read the link to the Sartorious scales, but as a Chemical Engineer, I found the chart for the composition of the Brass to be quite believable. Here is a link to the an ancient National Bureau of Standards paper on the preparation of testing cartridge brass and the results; Table 2 on Page 5 shows that the Winchester and S&B brass in the Accurate Shooter table are in line with the test sample in the NBS table. http://www.nist.gov/srm/upload/SP260-10.PDF

If the Accurate shooter article was an April 1 joke, someone did a lot of homework in creating it!

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

As they did creating this one:

F-Class shooting is the fastest-growing form of NRA rifle competition. While sling-shooting is in decline, the number of F-Class shooters grows every year. Recognizing this, the NRA Competitive Shooting Division has decided to expand the sport of F-Class with a new, third classification: F-TRipod.

Comment

Working...
                X