• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hartj17
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2014

Brass not ejecting

So I'm out at the range a few weeks ago, I fire a few rounds And a I have a round that does not eject out of the weapon and jams. I figure I didn't clean as I should have, and go back home and do my due diligence. I go back out the the range after throughly cleaning the weapon and same thing happens every 5 to 8 rounds. Suggestions?
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Under gassed. Gas block not aligned is most likely cause. But first, a word from the OP. New build? What caliber? Barrel length?

Some more info will help refine the quality of diagnostic attempts.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• hartj17
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2014

Not a new build at all. I've owned the weapon for over a year now. It's a underground tactical build, 20 inch barrel and is running DI. Have been shooting factory 6.5 Grendel 123SST AMMO. This just started happening in the last few day/week. I can't say that the AR has even had 500 rounds through it. Gets cleaned every time out too.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Check your extractor and ejector for any problems. Then check your bolt carrier gas key screws and make sure nothing has come loose and leaking gas. Then check your gas tube button and look for any unusual wear. Check your gas block as Nuggin recommended. Check your gas rings on your bolt. Does your rifle eject manually with out problems? I'm sure it is a simple fix once you locate the problem.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Describe the malfunction in more detail.

How does the failure to eject present itself?

Is it a stovepipe, case sitting on top of new cartridge?

Does the bolt carrier of bolt try to pick up the next cartridge and chamber it?

The way to troubleshoot this at the range is to load only one round, and see if the bolt holds back on the magazine activation of the bolt catch.

If you're at home, you need to inspect the gas system from head to toe, then consider cleaning out the ejector pin & spring channel of your bolt.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• hartj17
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2014

image.jpgt
            This is how it presents. It basically flips the brass 180 and try's to load another. Thus creating the malfunction. I'm sure it's something simple. I'll probqbly take it in to underground since they are right around the corner, but wanted to see if I could diagnose it myself. I checked the bolt, extractor, gas system, but I'm know I'm missing something.
            Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Describe the malfunction in more detail.

How does the failure to eject present itself?

Is it a stovepipe, case sitting on top of new cartridge?

Does the bolt carrier of bolt try to pick up the next cartridge and chamber it?

The way to troubleshoot this at the range is to load only one round, and see if the bolt holds back on the magazine activation of the bolt catch.

If you're at home, you need to inspect the gas system from head to toe, then consider cleaning out the ejector pin & spring channel of your bolt.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Your extractor might need to be tuned as well. What's your:

gas system length
              barrel length
              port diameter
              buffer weight
              and recoil spring length?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• hartj17
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2014

Fixed. I looked over everything then took it to underground. They replaced the Extractor pin free of charge. It was bent. Weird thing to happen in my mind but I'm glad they could fix it. Also replaced the spring along with it. Great customer service.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

The extractor pin is supposed to be made from S7 tool steel per the TDP for a Mil-spec gun. That's odd. I've never seen that before.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bwild97
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by hartj17 View Post
                    Fixed. I looked over everything then took it to underground. They replaced the Extractor pin free of charge. It was bent. Weird thing to happen in my mind but I'm glad they could fix it. Also replaced the spring along with it. Great customer service.
                    I have also had this happen, bent pin and a severely deformed spring. The only logical cause I could come with is a build up of gunk (carbon and lube) migrating into the ejector bore, probably from over lubing and not enough cleaning. I now make sure to give the ejector relief port a shot of breakleen every time disassemble the BCG.

Comment

Working...
                    X