X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

123 Amax and 31.5 grains of CFE rocks!

I've had such good loads for my Grendels that I've delayed working up a CFE load for them, but after some discussion with LRRPF52 I loaded up an OCW ladder and found that both my 28" and 20" seem to really like the 31.5 grain load. Interestingly, that load seems to work well in several different length barrels, as its a recommended load by several of the posts here and in the Grendel Database.

This load may be one of those "Holy Grail" loads.

Velocity 2652 with ES of 10. Hornady Factory had a little more velocity, but an ES of 26.

Last edited by bwaites; 04-05-2015, 09:06 PM.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

What projectile did you use with that load?
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Sorry! That's what happens after working up loads for 4 different rifles the same day!

Fixed it! 123 AMAX!

Comment

• lamrith
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

What did you settle on for COAL?
        Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
        18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
        SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
        16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
        Anderson Pistol lower:
        16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
        6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
          What did you settle on for COAL?
          2.25, but that should be determined by your chamber measurements, which is why I didn't post it.

Comment

• lamrith
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

True enough. I have not had a chance to measure mine or do any reload testing yet. Factory Amax is running splendidly so far, they are measuring 2.245"COAL. Reminds me I need to get a comparator for .264

Let the fun begin!
            18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
            16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
            Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

• lwminton
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              2.25, but that should be determined by your chamber measurements, which is why I didn't post it.
              I am not sure I understand this answer. 2.25 is less than magazine length so are there chambers that won't accept mag length cartridges? Or are you just saying that some loadings may be best at say 2.20.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
                I am not sure I understand this answer. 2.25 is less than magazine length so are there chambers that won't accept mag length cartridges? Or are you just saying that some loadings may be best at say 2.20.
                There are chambers that won't accept magazine length loads of some bullets, the 95 grain Vmax is famous for this. Generally, the Grendel SAAMI chamber is pretty accepting of all the magazine length loads, but there are bullets that just won't work in even that chamber.

Comment

• dammitman
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2012

I had trouble with the 95 grain vmax too. I ended up loading it to 2.140 to keep it free from jamming the rifling. Does this sound common for that bullet?

Comment

• dammitman
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2012

Oh yea. I found the 123 amax and sst both shot best for me with 31.4 grains of cfe223. Its all i use now for those bullets. The same charge didnt seem to work as well with a 123 grain nosler cc bullet. I dont know why,,,

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by dammitman View Post
                      Oh yea. I found the 123 amax and sst both shot best for me with 31.4 grains of cfe223. Its all i use now for those bullets. The same charge didnt seem to work as well with a 123 grain nosler cc bullet. I dont know why,,,
                      Huh What COLs/OALs did you use. I haven't run any Amax hand loads, but in my limited experience 123gr SSTs and Nosler CCs have performed identically under identical loads (same COL different OALs).
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• lamrith
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

COL / OAL Aren't they the same thing, just different ways of saying it? COL being the more specific Catridge Overall Length?
                        Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

• lwminton
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          There are chambers that won't accept magazine length loads of some bullets, the 95 grain Vmax is famous for this. Generally, the Grendel SAAMI chamber is pretty accepting of all the magazine length loads, but there are bullets that just won't work in even that chamber.
                          So this means the any new bullet should be tested with a Stoney Point first even for mag length loads. Wow, seems goofy.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
                            So this means the any new bullet should be tested with a Stoney Point first even for mag length loads. Wow, seems goofy.
                            Do you have any of the reloading handbooks? This is pretty basic reloading procedure, to determine what kind of COL works with your chamber, no matter the rifle.

Any time I'm working with a new bullet, I find out what's going on with the relationship between my chamber's throat and the bullet ogive before determining what my COL will be.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• dammitman
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              Do you have any of the reloading handbooks? This is pretty basic reloading procedure, to determine what kind of COL works with your chamber, no matter the rifle.

Any time I'm working with a new bullet, I find out what's going on with the relationship between my chamber's throat and the bullet ogive before determining what my COL will be.
                              i know what you mean. i dont have any fancy tools to do this though,(i want to buy some though) i just take an empty sized brass and press in the bullet in question. try and chamber it by hand and keep pressing it a little at a time till i get it to fit without sticking. i then measure the COAL and do another to make sure. i know i know, its redneck but i am in kentucky

Comment

Working...
                              X