X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
    So this means the any new bullet should be tested with a Stoney Point first even for mag length loads. Wow, seems goofy.
    Not unique to the Grendel. This happens mostly with older bullets conceived for 6.5 rifles like the 6.5x55, .260, etc. They often have a more rounded ogive shape, unlike the more streamlined VLD or Hybrid ogives common now. The 6.5x55 was built before spitzer bullets became common, so it has a very long throat in comparison to modern rifles.

Comment

• Jakal
      Warrior
      • May 2014

I just finished my CFE223 charge ladders and ended up with 31.6 grains for the 123 grain SST. 31.9 showed good accuracy but I backed off, could be too hot once the temps get up about 85. Sounds like 31.4 to 31.9 would show promise in most guns.
      Last edited by Jakal; 04-07-2015, 06:10 PM.
      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Ultramag Brion
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2014

Thanks for the load data , Bwaits , I finally have some 123's coming my way, both A-Max's and SST's, and am eager to start playing at the bench .
        MOLON LABE~PERCUSSA RESURGO

America was founded by tough Hell-Raisers that evaded taxes, grew tobacco, smuggled weapons, brewed spirits, and stood against tyranny......And it will take this type of citizen to save her.

Comment

• lwminton
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Not unique to the Grendel. This happens mostly with older bullets conceived for 6.5 rifles like the 6.5x55, .260, etc. They often have a more rounded ogive shape, unlike the more streamlined VLD or Hybrid ogives common now. The 6.5x55 was built before spitzer bullets became common, so it has a very long throat in comparison to modern rifles.
          I got a look at the bullet - flat base and all that weight went into the shoulder. I get it now.

Comment

• lwminton
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Do you have any of the reloading handbooks? This is pretty basic reloading procedure, to determine what kind of COL works with your chamber, no matter the rifle.

Any time I'm working with a new bullet, I find out what's going on with the relationship between my chamber's throat and the bullet ogive before determining what my COL will be.
            I've loaded for the 6mm AR all the way from mag length to 10 000s into the lands so I have the tools and the experience. BWAITES explained about the older bullets in 6.5 which makes sense.

Comment

• Dogue
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
              I've loaded for the 6mm AR all the way from mag length to 10 000s into the lands so I have the tools and the experience. BWAITES explained about the older bullets in 6.5 which makes sense.
              120 Amax is another common bullet that, because of it's shape, has to be loaded very short to chamber. I personally recommend avoiding that bullet all together for the Grendel.
              Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Bigjohn1806
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2014

Hello fellow shooting enthusiasts. I am new to the 6.5 and this forum but have been reloading for 45 + years. I hope to learn from the great information provided here and, just maybe be able to add some also. Thank you all in advance for the opportunity to be a part of this community.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bigjohn1806 View Post
                  Hello fellow shooting enthusiasts. I am new to the 6.5 and this forum but have been reloading for 45 + years. I hope to learn from the great information provided here and, just maybe be able to add some also. Thank you all in advance for the opportunity to be a part of this community.
                  Welcome!

Comment

• Joseph5
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

I loaded mine with 32 grs of CFE with 123 SST and 34 grs of CFE with the 100 grain AMAX and 95 Grain VMAX, they work great, are accurate, and show no pressure signs at all. I haven't had a chance to do an OCW yet or adjust COAL but even without doing that they are MOA loads in my rifle.

Comment

• lead chucker
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Joseph5 View Post
                      I loaded mine with 32 grs of CFE with 123 SST and 34 grs of CFE with the 100 grain AMAX and 95 Grain VMAX, they work great, are accurate, and show no pressure signs at all. I haven't had a chance to do an OCW yet or adjust COAL but even without doing that they are MOA loads in my rifle.
                      What velocities are you getting with the 100 gn amax and 95gn vmax with that load. Barrel length.

Comment

• Joseph5
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

with the 100gr AMAX out of a 22inch Lilja AR24 barrel I am running around 2950 on the Chrono. I haven't shot any of the 95 VMAX over a Chrono yet. The loads came from Bwild 97. If I remember correctly he was getting 3000 fps with a 24 inch barrel. I worked up to these loads in .3 grain steps from 30.8 and 32.8 respectively.

Comment

Working...
                        X