• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

two dead hogs thus weekend.

I made it out to the back of of the property and I was watching two spots. One location was about 345 yards away atop of a hill looking down into the valley, and using a tree as a rest. That location didn't produce a shot so I walked back down the hill to my blind before dark.

After I reached my blind which over looks a man made stone wall damn down a narrow opening just shy 200 yards. I waited and didn't see a thing until after it was dark. But I didn't have to wait long. As soon as it was so dark I could no longer see the hunting area I blindly reached for my flashlight so I could use it to locate my ND3. Once I located it lit it up to take one quick look at the area again and I see eyes light up. So I take a look through my scope and sure enough is hogs. I watch for a while, as the light didn't seem to bother them, hoping to find a bigger hog in the area. A few minutes go by and I have watched long enough. I wait for the biggest of the bunch to clear the capsule feeder and hit a broadside shot just behind the shoulder and exciting through the other shoulder. It was instant death after my autopsy the heart was completely cut in half and both lungs were deflated.

Later that evening after eating dinner smoked chicken steamed broccoli and cauliflower, for anyone interested...lol.. We have a night hunt setup on the other side of the ranch. On the way to the spot we encounter a couple of his on the way, I want able to get off shot or really get on them. It's very thick brush on the side of a offa rocky bluff with one clearing. After abandoning the search for that sounder we had back to destination. Since the feeder had gone off before we even left the house. It's about 11:20 now.

We weren't that far away at this point a few more minutes in the UTV abide park. The location is a T with the blind to right and the feeder to the left. We circle around the trees and make it to the blind we can hear the pigs are there when we walk up. I look through my scope I locate the pigs and feeder I am about 120 yards away at this point and the moonlight is low due to a lot mist and cloud cover I grab the ND3 again and light it up. As I'm lowering it to the top of the trees the hogs are having no part of it they spook and run away. We wait a few minutes and can hear them around the area they slowly start to come back in. I sneak across the rocks and get a little closer sooner won't be able to use a light. I get about a 100 yards away and I have a good angle and am not to exposed I can see the shadows and the shapes of the hogs and settle into my spot. I take a kneeling position and line up the biggest of the bunch as he clears the feeder I squeeze of my shot we hear running and aren't quite sure if one of the hogs is about to pop out in front of us. We wait for the rest to make their move and clear the area and light it up with our flashlights and there is a dead ho. He was shot just behind his right eyeball bullet exited out his ear and front forehead.

Both shots taken were with 123 factory Hornady SST. DSC_0036.jpgDSC_0035.jpg20150404_234811.jpg
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

It was a fun trip. I saw an axis that will get taken later this year. If he leaned his head back he could scratch his but.

A few good bull elks a well

My friend will have his MLD tags on June and we'll have to kill around 70-80 white tails, and 30+ axis and thin out the elk heards. So there will be plenty more updates and photos this coming year.

I just need to start on load development for 120 barnes TSX before it gets to late in the season.

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Great hunting!

Comment

Working...
        X