X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwilkins
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

I have done both ways using One Shot. In most cases, brass goes back in the tumbler to remove the residue. There have been a couple of instances where time was short and rounds were needed so those did not get the second spin cycle in the tumbler. No issues came of that nor did I see any change in chrono data. The only thing that was bothersome to me was that at times a grain or two would stick to the inside of the neck. No real big deal as it is easy to knock off or the projectile will push it out of the way when seating.

My preferred method is still to put the brass back in the tumbler for a second go round after sizing though. If you are picky about how your loaded brass looks, the second tumbling will remove any marks on the brass from the resizing process.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Ok, I gave my short answer above.

However, the reason I tumble after I size really doesn't have anything to do with concern for the lube causing issues when shooting. I used to never clean the cases after I resized, I simply reprimed, reloaded, and away I went.

I ran a torture test on my first Grendel using hundreds of cases that hadn't been delubed, and it had no impact that I can recall.

I tumble after sizing because I don't like stuff on my hands and stuck in the case necks. When I'm reloading cases that I haven't tumbled, I notice that after I've picked up 50 or more cases my hands start to feel as if they are gunked up and I start to get particles of powder and other crap on my hands. Then I have to go wash my hands, because that gunk starts to affect my feel, and I start to drop cases and bullets. I also notice that pieces of powder get stuck inside the neck, and when I seat bullets, it causes a crunch!

So thats the real reason I retumble after sizing!

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
        I tumble after sizing because I don't like stuff on my hands ... Then I have to go wash my hands ...
        I always knew bwaites was a bit of a dandy. And me - I just like shiney brass and ammo.

But back to the OP's question - If you're not loading beyond 52kpsi, I don't believe that lube left on the case would not cause any issues with bolt thrust, if I understand how the bolts are engineered in the first place.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Macht
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2013

Thanks for the replies. I was actually kinda hoping that was what was causing some early pressure signs I've been seeing. Then it would just be a simple matter of cleaning the lube up.

Comment

• 65Whelen
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            I clean my dies about every 2-300 rounds. The lube builds up at the shoulder juncture in the die. Eventually it will cause hydraulic dents if not removed. I clean in mineral spirits, then acetone, then lube back up with one shot case lube

Richard
            This makes a lot of sense, will add this to my reloading process. Thanks

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

I wait till I have a bunch of sized cases and rub them in an old towel on the bench to get most of the lube off. Only takes 10 seconds.

I do this so they don't pick up dust and dirt and doesn't feel greasy. No doubt lubed rounds go into chambers with plenty of clearance but drop one in the dirt and it will be a tighter fit.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                I clean my dies about every 2-300 rounds. The lube builds up at the shoulder juncture in the die. Eventually it will cause hydraulic dents if not removed. I clean in mineral spirits, then acetone, then lube back up with one shot case lube

Richard
                Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                This makes a lot of sense, will add this to my reloading process. Thanks
                I've been cleaning mine a bit more often than that - I hit the insides of the dies with a good long blast of brake cleaner about every third or fourth usage. That way, I don't see any long term accumulations of goop and grit.

I also do a one time polish the dies, case and neck, using Flitz and an oversized chamber brush with a cordless drill. For the neck, I just use a smaller chamber brush. It significantly reduces the vertical scoring some dies leave on the case necks.

Clean dies are happy dies!
                Last edited by NugginFutz; 04-16-2015, 03:23 AM. Reason: Clarification of polishing
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• waveslayer
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

I buy some of the Mechanic paper towels from Costco and do a quick wipe down. I clean my dies periodically, so I don't really clean them afterwards, no issues so far.

Comment

• lwminton
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

Agreed. But isn't it fairly simple to just flip them in the tumbler and walk away for lunch or trading stocks?
                    I can't make any sense of not doing another tumble. It's not like you are climbing Mt Hood, so why speculate. Just tumble.

Comment

Working...
                    X