• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blacklab
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

Getting there with 100gr A-Max

Wasn't getting the groups like I should with AA upper and 18inch barrel. I returned the barrel to AA for a chamber check. They returned it saying all is good. So now I know it's me and my build Put it all together very carefully making sure all is square. This Is what I got first 5 shots The first 2 went left last 3 went 10 ring. Not sure what was going on seems to be all good now. Didn't use the chrony. But very happy happy. Looking forward to more range time

100 gr A-max
    Hornady brass
    cci 450
    8208 30.2
    shoulder 1.210
    coal 2.150
    2.160 I'm touching lands
    Attached Files
    Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........
  • Savage Shooter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

You only fired one 5 shot group - with a 2 inch spread? I am not sure I would declare "all good now" just yet. (Although if you were getting scattered 2"+ groups before, I could see the reason for being "happy happy".) What's your twist rate on your barrel? AA likes to go with faster twist rates as they shorten the barrel length, but if you have a 1:7.5 instead of 1: 8.75 twist, your barrel might be "on the edge" depending on your velocity with the 100 gr AMAX. The faster twist rate might like a slightly longer bullet. Have you fired more groups since putting it back together? Do you have different (i.e., better) results with factory 123 AMAXs?
    My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Blacklab
      Warrior
      • Mar 2012

Yes Savage Shooter I averaged 1.5-2.0 all day. Now it looks like I'm on the my way to sub moa finely. Barrel is a 18 inch 1/8.

Klem Not sure about normal lol but those are my numbers.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Is it a lightweight barrel by any chance? I took 2 lightweight 18" Grendel's to the range last week, and the slightest errors in fundamentals will open the groups.

Firm rearward pressure and strict attention to fundamentals produced sub-MOA groups consistently. As soon as I relaxed the position a bit, ignored breathing, with inconsistent trigger break, and they would open up.
        Last edited by LRRPF52; 04-13-2015, 02:00 AM.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Blacklab
          Warrior
          • Mar 2012

Thanks for the insight LRRP52. Yes it's a lite barrel.

Comment

• mseric
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Klem
            2.16" touching lands...a fair bit shorter than the mag length, is this normal (never used the 100AMax)?
            No, but it has happened.

I realize that this subject was discussed extensively on the old site, but I haven't seen anything about it recently. I have been handloading for 24 years. In all that time I have never had the seating depth problems that I have with the Grendel in the last couple years. I load for three different rifles, two with AA

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mseric View Post
              No, but it has happened.

I realize that this subject was discussed extensively on the old site, but I haven't seen anything about it recently. I have been handloading for 24 years. In all that time I have never had the seating depth problems that I have with the Grendel in the last couple years. I load for three different rifles, two with AA

http://www.msrhunt.com/post/grendel-...-stuck-6783926
              That's a pity, for all the reasons in the links. Plus a shorter chamber is a loss of case capacity. Any load data from tables and the forum will need to be discounted by about 1/2 a grain of powder to be safe (ref: Quickload).

Comment

• rasp65
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

With my AA barrel 100 A-Max OAL is 2.210"

Comment

Working...
                X