• montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      True, but you cannot deny limiting civilian access to guns makes this sort of atrocity more difficult to commit. Also suggesting that if you do restrict guns then criminals will just find another way like a truck, and therefore it's pointless limiting guns in the first place is a non sequitur.

Put yourselves in the shoes of the politicians who for the most part do not share our affinity for firearms. Charged with preventing these things politicians look at all the possible solutions and go with the easiest and least expensive options. Lock up all those known to be abled bodied yet have psychological problems, and related autism. Limit the influx of migrants with known inconsistencies with your way of life. Deny those with a criminal record, especially if it includes violence. Limit the tools available to commit efficient murder like guns... What is the cost of doing each of these and to what extent do we restrict each one. All those with mental illness or only those with violent tendencies? Do we restrict truck ownership or is the cost too high to society? All criminals forever or only those with violent crimes, or with records in the past ten years? For democracies that valorise individual freedoms tackling this problem necessarily comes at a cost. And like you say, there will always be some nutter who slips through the cracks and that is the harsh reality of firearm access. You want access to full auto weapons, well someone eventually will misuse their gun on full-auto. Semi-auto, someone will eventually misuse their gun on semi-auto. Restrict both and someone eventually will smuggle one in (although you have to admit restricting these at least mitigates the likelihood and lessens the damage if it occurs, if not eliminating it entirely).

Sure, that guy could have used another means. They found a bag of ammonium nitrate at his house and also Tannerite. Unlikely that Tannerite can set off ANFO but with some effort he could access a detonator and booster from somewhere. Or just used a lot of Tannerite to propel shrapnel. He could have been in the Philippines with his Mrs when the thing went off and lived to fight another day (e.g. Margaret Thatcher, Brighton bombing in 1884. The IRA used a long timer). Heck, he could have rigged it to a mobile phone and rung it from overseas while watching the concert on Facebook. Instead he tied himself to the scene by using firearms and felt the need to commit suicide - A fruit cake that slipped through the very wide cracks.

I am a responsible firearm aficionado and I don't want these murders to happen just like everyone else. I also prefer the Gov't not restrict my lifestyle so I will argue that I am prepared to put up with the risk for access to firearms. I hope everyone else in this democracy is ready to bear the risk also, for everyone's freedom, regardless if they want to exercise it or not. It's just the painful cost of freedom in a democracy.
      Klem, while you and I are singing out of the same hymnal, there is another issue which makes gun control almost a mute point. The availability of CAD/CAM systems and inexpencive CNC mills enables people to make their own lowers or registered parts without any legal trace whatsoever --- ala 80% lowers.

Here is an event that happened this month in Tennessee, and you do not hear much about it because the weapons had no serial numbers.

Police in Tennessee say they found a large cache of weapons, including two machine guns, on a driver pulled over for speeding.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Texas, that is way too complicated. The Mexican cartels are drooling at the thought of gun control. Then they can have a monopoly on bringing AKs across the border.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
          Warrior
          • Apr 2013

(http://newbostonpost.com/2017/10/13/...house-version/)

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Well this should be interesting since a belt loop and a thumb can be used to cause a semi-automatic to fire like a machine gun. I really want to see that definition.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
              Wasn't he one of the people attending the tail hook convention when someone like the secretary of defenses secretary was dragged in a hotel room and raped? My memory is hazy maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
              From an Aug 1992 LA Times piece:

U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is catching hell for his attendance at the raunchy Tailhook convention.

Not the raunchy 1991 convention, but the raunchy 1987 convention. In the current political climate, there is no statute of limitations on raunchiness.

McCain's woes started with a reference in a recent Newsweek magazine to a 1987 issue of Hook, the house organ of the San Diego-based Tailhook Assn.

Hook reported that McCain, a former Navy fighter pilot, was "no stranger to Tailhook reunions" and had "participated in the camaraderie of the third deck" at the 1987 convention in Las Vegas, where supposedly much friskiness took place.

Just google Johnny, guy's a carpet bagger who married into AZ liquor distributor money...
              DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by AZHTfreak View Post
                From an Aug 1992 LA Times piece:

U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is catching hell for his attendance at the raunchy Tailhook convention.

Not the raunchy 1991 convention, but the raunchy 1987 convention. In the current political climate, there is no statute of limitations on raunchiness.
                US servicemen, raunchy? Gee, who woulda thunk it possible?

Comment

• donbcivil
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                  True, but you cannot deny limiting civilian access to guns makes this sort of atrocity more difficult to commit. Also suggesting that if you do restrict guns then criminals will just find another way like a truck, and therefore it's pointless limiting guns in the first place is a non sequitur.
                  I get that you are not personally calling for gun bans. However, I think it is worth pointing out to the antis that the time when serious restrictions were possible has come and gone. There are so many firearms in circulation right now....in responsible hands....that gun bans that have been implemented elsewhere are effectively impossible here. I grew up in NY state and the SAFE act has not been complied with in a state with a history of tolerating excessively restrictive gun laws.

I just hope we never get to a place where someone is actually dumb enough to try implementing a ban because things would probably get UGLY.

Comment

Working...
                  X