X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilecoyote
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

I go with the 20 MOA mount as it's there if and when it may be needed.

In hunting for a mount I looked at Bobro, ADM and LaRue. They all seem to make really nice mounts, if a mount is what you're looking for vs rings. I narrowed down to ADM and LaRue because I ran into some reports of the Bobro coming lose and allowing shifts. This may not be the case anymore, but there was a video out there.

In the end I went with the LaRue LT745 20 MOA with the quick detach option. The LT745 allowed my choice of scope to be mounted in a location better for me. This is where I am a big fan of LaRue's product. This mount has worked well and I have removed the optics on my Grendel and Creedmoor several times and both have returned you zero without issue.

I did some looking before I bought my optic. I say optic because I used the same brand and model on both my rifles. I had owned a Vortex that was a nice scope. The reasons I sold it was SFP and a plex reticle. Having used a Vortex it the brand made my list of possibilities along with US Optics, Nightforce and Steiner. S&B was there, but prices in my range were a little higher.

I ended up getting Steiner 3-12x50 Military Tactical scopes that are mil/mil. They are built like tanks (the weight is reflective of it). The G2B reticle is a little more complicated than a standard mildot, but not overly busy. They have the big 34mm tube and an illuminated reticle. The illumination; to be honest, I haven't used much. The illumination has a lot of different brightness settings. The scopes have zero stops which are really nice and came from Steiner with stops preset for a 20 MOA.

I've been really happy with these scopes and Steiner will be near the top of my list for other rifle projects I have going. Anyone that has shot my rifles have really liked the optics.

Comment

• Busted Bones
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2017

You don't need some of the extreme high magnifications guys are mentioning here. Glass clarity is more important than top end magnification. That said, I was shooting a 20" Grendel with the Burris XTR II 3-15X score with a 20 MOA mount. It's perfect for the Grendel, and I'm saving for one for my build after I make some other purchases.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I have the same Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 and shoot out to 1000yds pretty regularly.

You definitely need 20 MOA cant for the scope mount. I need it even up at higher elevation in the mountains and basins where I live. At 4500ft ASL, I'm still at around 10.8 mils with a 123gr target bullet for drop.

I have NightForce UniMount and LaRue mounts with 20 MOA cant, and started purging my mounts that are heavy or don't have 20 MOA for my dual-purpose guns.

I prefer glass clarity over magnification as well.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Willfg
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          I have the same Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 and shoot out to 1000yds pretty regularly.

You definitely need 20 MOA cant for the scope mount. I need it even up at higher elevation in the mountains and basins where I live. At 4500ft ASL, I'm still at around 10.8 mils with a 123gr target bullet for drop.

I have NightForce UniMount and LaRue mounts with 20 MOA cant, and started purging my mounts that are heavy or don't have 20 MOA for my dual-purpose guns.

I prefer glass clarity over magnification as well.
          That's good to hear...I have that same scope. I'll start with the 20 MOA mount and see how I do with the Viper.

Comment

• PVBoom
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

The Larue might start chewing up the rail with the way it clamps in. They use a unique method of clamping.

For frequent swapping if scores, I would stay away from LaRue. I have not had good luck with them at all.

Over time, they seem to chew up the rail which messes with reliability.

ILya
            http://opticstalk.com/one-rifle-mult...opic44289.html

Is there a good AR style quick detach scope mount in the $100 range?
            Last edited by PVBoom; 11-14-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• PVBoom
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

And here is the primary reason I won't touch Aero Precision mounts...

Based on what I saw in this thread, the problem is likely a combination of the mount and the scope.

Generally, a little while back I got my hands on three Aero Precision mounts and have spent some time messing with them. All apply uneven pressure onto the scope tube and with some scopes it can cause an issue.

I do not have too much mileage with he Strike Eagle, but I have seen this basic design used by a few other brands and it left me soundly unimpressed. If you want a low range variable from Vortex, extend your budget a bit and get a 1-4x24 PST.

The reason you were only seeing the problem at 6x is that when you change the magnification of a scope, there are a couple of internal lens groups that move. It is most likely that when you set the scope to 6x, the one of the lens groups moves right under the portion of the tube that was being deformed by the out of round ring. That would preclude the lens group from moving the way it is supposed and possibly make it susceptible to recoil.

Have you tried shooting groups at lower magnifications? like 3x or 2x?

It is entirely possible that the scope is damaged and I am sure Vortex will take care of you. However, with the Aero Precision mounts I have, I concluded that in order to use them, they will have to be lapped and only used on guns with minimal recoil.

ILya
              I am having a very difficult to solve issue with my AR and was wondering if anyone else has had this...

Comment

• PVBoom
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

I will be going with an Aadmount on my build. I can deal with no QD.
                I was considering the GGG&Z as an option, then ADM when I considered QD a requirement.
                Last edited by PVBoom; 11-14-2017, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• PVBoom
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Klem
                  There is one more high-end mount not yet mentioned, SPUHR.

SPUHR make both QD and standard 4-Torx screws cantilever mounts for the AR15. If you use a standard screw-attach and have got a torque screwdriver, or mark the spot when the torque is the same you can take them off and on and retain a meaningful zero.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10130[/ATTACH]

http://www.spuhr.biz/ideal-scope-mount-system
                  I see Spuhr as at the level of the Aadmount, but not worth the extra money.

Its also European as opposed to US or Canadian (Near).

If I wanted to spend more money, I would choose the works of art that Richard Near produces. Don't hate me after looking at them...

-The Original 25 MOA forward slope, long range scope base. Used by the US NAVY, US ARMY special operations, and the RCMP with integral recoil shoulder and MIL-STD- 1913 spec.
                  Last edited by PVBoom; 11-14-2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• PVBoom
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

I just meant buy North American. Shipping costs?

Comment

• PVBoom
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Couldn't see any cantilever AR15 mounts on the Near website. Do you know if they offer any?
                      I don't think they do, I was putting it up since those Alphamounts look so beautiful. I know you can get them in various heights. I am also uncertain about the cantilever requirement when everyone and their mother are running full length picatinny rails on their handguards

I am aware of the source of most scopes today, and am quite happy with my Japanese glass (SWFA). Of course with more disposable income I would be buying Zeiss and Swarovski and Trijicon (I did score a nice used 10x Habicht Nova 10 years ago) . I want to get a Leica some day.

I just see the Spuhr as a ludicrously overpriced option for what you get (by about $175).
                      Last edited by PVBoom; 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                        The Larue might start chewing up the rail with the way it clamps in. They use a unique method of clamping.

Going to get a Kimber Open Country. 84M action, new this year. I need to use multiple scopes on it.h...

http://opticstalk.com/ar-style-qd-sc...opic44174.html
                        You can also get the LaRue VFZ mounting option, which is $50 off the normal price if you don't want QD.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

I seem to recall 52' you being suspicious of QD mounts from your courses. At that time I had a big think and have now gone all screw clamps for main scopes. I have a couple of LaRue QD's now sitting idle, replaced by the peace of mind that comes from straight clamps with known torque. More streamlined too and less chance of catching on clothing. I'm thinking the only reason QD would be better than screws was if you needed to remove a damaged scope in a hurry. Everything else is just a couple of minutes with a torque screwdriver.

PVBoom...One man's 'ludicrous' is another man's pride and peace of mind. Everyone has a perception of what is value for money. The scope in the picture is a March Tactical (made in Japan). The types of guns talked about on this forum are relatively cheap when compared against other shooting disciplines so it's all relative. Coming from an F Class background where competitive guns cost $5,000+ I don't see $175 as anything more than 'buy once cry once'.

Leica does make nice glass. I have an 8*42 pair of Leica binoculars and the colors pop. It has 'Made in Portugal' on the side....
                          I've only seen loose mounts when people don't follow the distractions and tighten them with good pressure at the 45˚ angle.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                            X