AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel barrel short chambered.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlatsFlite
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
    Either call them and take if off your shelf then send it to them so they can look at it or we will talk about this forever. Just put it in the mail to somewhere.. golly gee wiz professor.
    Upon confirmation that Satern will accept it for inspection, I will do just that. If not, I will find a confident smith to correct the issue for me.
    Last edited by FlatsFlite; 01-30-2014, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• It is ironic that some barrels are having the same problem I had 8 months ago with my McGowen barrel (PTG Reamer). I sent my barrel back along with my AA bolt and a box of factory Hornady 123gr. Amax ammo, something that you might want to consider sending with the barrel. The outcome in my case went sour fast though, hope the outcome for you guys works out good. Best wishes.

Comment

• No more inflammatory comments!

...golly gee wiz professor.
        This is only one of a few hundred gratuitous comments in this thread. This practice is one of the reasons we see defensive behavior by multiple parties.

Other reasons are unwillingness to accept documentable answers to misunderstandings of the way things work.

While it is difficult to deal with unwillingness to learn, we can and must stop making statements either intended to or that can be reasonably be expected to inflame the discussion.

Let's put an end to gratuitous remarks!

Comment

• Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
          I got a voice mail that those from the barrel buy that want a refund has to go through me. Not the hassle I signed up for grrrrrr
          I don't think you should have to hassle with it or make it right....the barrels are from satern...if they don't work that's where they should go...I appreciate your work to get the group buy...As they say...buyer beware....I have not shot mine much yet because i decided to switch optics. The viper should be here today...

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
            I don't think you should have to hassle with it or make it right....the barrels are from satern...if they don't work that's where they should go...I appreciate your work to get the group buy...As they say...buyer beware....I have not shot mine much yet because i decided to switch optics. The viper should be here today...
            I agree, that is weird.

It should be noted that if someone were to sell one of these barrels without disclosing these issues and the buyer was to get injured or killed because of a barrel malfunction, the seller would be criminally liable.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              Let's put an end to gratuitous remarks![/B][/I]
              Exactly!

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BARREL THAT IS AFFECTED, PLEASE STOP POSTING ON THIS THREAD. THE ISSUE IS GETTING COVERED OVER BY ALL THE USELESS SIDE COMMENTS!

If you do have one of the barrels in question, the proper channel is to call Satern and discuss your issue.

XCR, unfortunately, when you sponsor a group buy, you are becoming the middleman between the buyers and the company, and I know it sucks! I've been there. It's why I'm trying to limit group buys by keeping everything in one forum and only with prior approval.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Anyone have anything more constructive to say? Otherwise I'll close this thread shortly.

I appreciate bwaites offering up LRRPF52's assistance as an objective, third-party analysis, but I can't imagine that, even if you shipped your barrel to LR for review, that he could take on the liability of saying it's OK or not to shoot. Ultimately, he'd have still have to send it back to Satern.

Thus, as per standard practice, it makes sense to me that if any feel they have an out-of-spec barrel, please have a competent gunsmith certify it or send it back to Satern for review.

John
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Sputnik
                  Warrior
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
                  I am so very happy you have had success over the years with Liberty barrels. Please consider those of us building our first 6.5 Grendel build and wanted a good quality barrel to mount. Then see our concern and dismay caused by this thread. My concern began with the OP listing his issues and I realized that Midway AR Stoner barrels are the same as Liberty barrels. My measured 2.238 123 SST dummy round had no visible marks. My concern increased when I posted #184 and my 2.245 measured 123 Amax and SST hand chambered but were difficult to extract and showed 5 equally spaced small land marks around the circumference of the projectile forward of the end of the casing. My dismay is growing, because Satern needs to "get off the pot" and respond better than we have seen so far. I won't build until this is resolved. My wife won't allow my Son or my Grandson to shoot it until it is fixed, and I don't want to break bolts because of excess pressure that may produce a faster muzzle velocity. So it sits here on the table, while I wait.
                  I just received this from Lindsey at Satern:

"I talked to Deb and she said that they will be posting a message on our website regarding everything that has been going on with the Grendel barrels that were recently sent out, so please keep your eyes on our site. However, because we have determined that our chambers and reamers are within SAAMI specs, and these are not defective barrels, we will not be issuing return shipment labels. We will adjust the throat free of charge for customers who would like the adjustment. I will add you to our list, and once that message is posted, I will be able to start receiving barrels from our customers. Let me know if you have any further concerns. Thanks."

Comment

• FlatsFlite
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post

"I talked to Deb and she said that they will be posting a message on our website regarding everything that has been going on with the Grendel barrels that were recently sent out, so please keep your eyes on our site. However, because we have determined that our chambers and reamers are within SAAMI specs, and these are not defective barrels, we will not be issuing return shipment labels. We will adjust the throat free of charge for customers who would like the adjustment. I will add you to our list, and once that message is posted, I will be able to start receiving barrels from our customers. Let me know if you have any further concerns. Thanks."
                    I just received the same message. WoooWhooo!

Comment

• 55Kingpin
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2011

Hmmm, anybody know how they will go about "adjusting" the throat. I assume the reamer won't take anymore material since they say it is within SAAMI spec. Will they be hand lapping the throat? Is this something we should all do (and I mean "we" as in the people who just got the recent batch of 16 and 18" barrels from Midway).

I've got three 16" barrels that are about to get built up. I literally only have one single round of factory 123gr AMAX, the rest are reloads. This single round will fit in the chamber of each barrel and I can twist the bolt by hand but I haven't put the rifles together to the point that the buffer spring would send the entire BCG home. Think I should send them in or just build and shoot first?

Godspeed,
                      Chase

Comment

• Originally posted by 55Kingpin View Post
                        Hmmm, anybody know how they will go about "adjusting" the throat. I assume the reamer won't take anymore material since they say it is within SAAMI spec. Will they be hand lapping the throat? Is this something we should all do (and I mean "we" as in the people who just got the recent batch of 16 and 18" barrels from Midway).

I've got three 16" barrels that are about to get built up. I literally only have one single round of factory 123gr AMAX, the rest are reloads. This single round will fit in the chamber of each barrel and I can twist the bolt by hand but I haven't put the rifles together to the point that the buffer spring would send the entire BCG home. Think I should send them in or just build and shoot first?

Godspeed,
                        Chase
                        I'm sure however they do it will be the correct way to fix. I would watch their web site for instructions as they asked, then call them to make sure they apply to Midway buyers also. I just sent the 18" I bought back to Midway since the Lilja barrel showed up about the same time.

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by 55Kingpin View Post

Godspeed,
                          Chase
                          Your factor 123gr Amax does fit in the chamber and bolt locks? If so it seems your chamber is good to go. Put it together and go shoot.
                          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                            Anyone have anything more constructive to say? Otherwise I'll close this thread shortly.

I appreciate bwaites offering up LRRPF52's assistance as an objective, third-party analysis, but I can't imagine that, even if you shipped your barrel to LR for review, that he could take on the liability of saying it's OK or not to shoot. Ultimately, he'd have still have to send it back to Satern.

Thus, as per standard practice, it makes sense to me that if any feel they have an out-of-spec barrel, please have a competent gunsmith certify it or send it back to Satern for review.

John
                            I said nothing about LRRPF52 saying anything about whether they were safe to shoot or not, only that we would then have ONE person measuring so that the measurements would at least be consistent and comparable to similar measurements on other barrels.

And YES, ultimately, they will have to go back to Satern.

And with that, thread closed.

Comment

Working...
                            X