new Barnes 6.5mm 127gr LRX bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having to seat both Hornady 100 and 120gr Amax at approx 2.165" to avoid stuffing them into the lands, I'd like to see them adapt both profiles to the Grendel specific 123gr setup and drop the 120's weight back 8-12gr to sit right in between the two and would offer a price and theoretically performance competitive challenge to Sierra and Lapua offerings. And thinking a little further, perhaps more usable powder capacity with more of the weight forward than current designs. A win/win, in my mind.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bobke View Post
      Having to seat both Hornady 100 an 120gr Amax at approx 2.165" to avoid stuffing them into the lands, I'd like to see them adapt both profiles to the Grendel specific 123gr setup and drop the 120's weight back 8-12gr to sit right in between the two and would offer a price and theoretically performance competitive challenge to Sierra and Lapua offerings.
      I agree with this. I was disappointed that the 100s came out with the same profile as the 120s. I'm seating them at 2.200" myself.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I have explored lighter bullets for military applications and can find arguments for lighter bullets in an infantry carbine for the "average" infantryman.

Even for hunting, a lot of folks rarely shoot past 300 yards, so the lighter bullet option may be attractive. I ran the 100 and 123 gr Scenars in 16 and 24 inch barrels. The Scenars were used to keep load and drag data more consistent. I looked at drop both at 300 yd and at 400 yd, but am showing only the 400 yd numbers because they are consistent with the 200 yd and better capture the longest reach the "average hunter" should even dream about. (Definitely not a typical hordite!)
        24 " 100 gr -22.2"
        24: 123 gr -24.0

16" 100 gr -25.9
        16" 123 gr -28.0

We see that, within a specified barrel length, we get about 2" difference in drop at 400 yards. How many of us can hold better than about .5 MOA (2") at 400 yards? Some of us can, but for those who can will almost certainly get a hit in the right spot regardless of the bullet they choose to hunt with. The remainder of us likely could not tell the difference in drop even at 400 yards. The differences are much smaller as we move closer in to the nominal 250-300 maximum range for most shooters because the 200 yard zero is used.

Given the closeness of drop data, we now ask about effectiveness given that we hit the right spot. A good rule of thumb that works as long as the bullet opens adequately is that the heavier bullet is always better! We already know that several bullets in the 120-123 gr class work well out to past 400 yards. One could announce that the technical argument is complete -- and it likely is.

There is still room for the lighter bullets because they will work within these ranges, but the heavier bullet is probably the better choice for folks who want to be able to be effective at the longer distances.

Comment

I would not argue that bullets in the lighter weight range will work, and I won't argue against stoutly constructed hunting bullets they work and work well. My only point is that the mid range weights are well suited for the Grendel and perform really well without having to go to premium bullets.
          For the record, when I use my 6.5 STW I do use premium bullets, standard bullets of cup and lead core design or very fragile bullets like the Nosler BT will splash on heavy muscle and fail to penetrate. Or, I also use 140 Berger VLD it destroys a lot of meat but drops them right there.
          Bob

Comment

• vendetta333

just my 2 cents: a 120gr sierra gameking in their hollow point version (with the tough jacket) would be perfect for everything inside 300-325 yards. except elk i'd say, for that i'd go with an xbullet or partition. but most wont hunt elk with their grendels.

Comment

Originally posted by vendetta333 View Post
              just my 2 cents: ... a 120gr sierra gameking in their hollow point version (with the tough jacket) would be perfect for everything inside 300-325 yards. except elk i'd say, for that i'd go with an xbullet or partition. but most wont hunt elk with their grendels.
              I'd be happy with just a regular (BTSP) Gameking. Better yet, stretch it out to about 125grains to up the BC just a bit. Quick, somebody get some incriminating photos of the guys at Sierra!

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The new Barnes 6.5mm 127gr LRX bullet is currently in stock at MidwayUSA:

Drifter

Comment

It WAS in stock.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Guess they didn't last long at Midway.

The Barnes store also lists the bullet, though no indication whether it's in stock or not.

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

Haven't checked other potential sources.
                    Drifter

Comment

• Ego Eram Socius

123gr A-Max.

Ego

Comment

Sorry LRRPF52, I can send you some when mine come in Monday if you want to check them out. I think they will take up too much case capacity for the Grendel, although I may try them to see. I'll be loading my .260 rem ackly improved and my 6.5 Creedmoor with them. I didn't get many though.

Comment

I talked with the guys from Barnes at SHOT, so I think I'll be able to work something out with them. They did in fact make the 127gr LRX specifically for cartridges like the .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 Win Mag, etc. I wonder when they'll publish a set of BC values for these.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2012, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Graf &Son lists it as in stock

Comment

.468 for the BC. I would have thought it'd be just a bit higher, but that's not bad.

Comment

• Drifter
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Barnes says 1600 fps impact velocity needed for reliable expansion.

As an example, with a MV of ~2350 fps, expansion should occur out to ~450 yards if .468 BC is correct.
                                Drifter

Comment

Working...
                                X