fav. budget action/brand for 7mm practical / 300WM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

fav. budget action/brand for 7mm practical / 300WM?

So at some point probably a ways down the road I'd like to get into a 300WM for longer ranges. Before I MIGHT get into .338LM. to save money for practice and for the abundance of components and such. Also heard on the tibosaurusRex podcast that 7mm-300 or 7mm practical (whatever you want to call it) actually shoots farther and flatter (and maybe more energy?) than the .338LM if anyone can back that up I'd appreciate it. But I have plenty of time to figure that out before and after I get into it. From what I understand 7-300/300WM/.338LM are all barrel burners though is that correct?

Currently thinking of a Savage 10BA stealth in 300WM (of course) and can maybe get a .338LM later if I'm still interested in that at that point. And as I'm into prepping I would like it to be durable (of course) and the more capacity the better. Though I doubt I'll find anything bigger than 10rnd mags for any platform. If I remember savages steels they use aren't the best though? But I keep hearing they're pretty good for factory..

Basically looking for decent chassis that durable and easy to upgrade and swap the barrel for. Don't need a surgeon or GAP or AI or nothing that nice. Though I wish I could afford one of course.

Thanks for input.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I wouldn't mess with a magnum jus yet.

Get a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor first and see how far they reach for ELR, if you even have access to ELR ranges.

Depending on the bullet, you can go out past 2000yds with the 6.5s.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I just finished up a .28 nosler that pushes a Berger 195 EOL at 3176fps. Easy to source brass albeit not cheap, and fairly easy to load for. I throated this one to seat the 195 running a coal of 3.73. Compare that to the 338 lapua and it's pretty good. It's built on a Rem 700 with wyatts extended box. 28" bartlein. Shoots @3/4"-1-1/4" at 300.

Richard
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

2000 yds at sea level?
        Last edited by lrgrendel; 04-11-2017, 09:31 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
          2000 yds at sea level?
          No not necessarily, there's a bunch of different places I got shooting around the Puget sound area and out to Mount Rainier on the adjacent mountain tops. Not sure what the altitude is but it's at least 2k ft.+ Another spot out near Yakima that's pretty long range could be a mile or so I don't have a range finder or haven't verified it yet.

Not sure and it's been many MANY years since I've been to the JBLM range they have there. Shoot it wasnt even the joint base back then was still FT. Lewis but I think they have a 1000yrd range there and that's not to far at all. I just prefer to get out in the great outdoors and highten my experience.

Kinda curious why you say I should stay away from the magnums? I'm not going to head right out and buy one. But I'm definitely getting one eventually even if it its just before the next clamp down and sits in the safe. Which is 1000% more likely to be a clamp down on .338 like commiefornia and .50 Cal's. If you never know. Mainly looking g for the cheap abundant ammo and components. Don't have to get into the wild cats.
          And I'm in NO hurry. I've had reloading equipment for like 5 years and haven't loaded one yet.. I'm very patient. And fairly methodical.

And its not that I'm not hearing your advice, I just actually kind of enjoy shooting the larger calibers.
          Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 04-12-2017, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

I think LR52 was saying if you're wanting to start shooting ELR, there have been some great bullets to come out from flatline recently as shown in video, where they shoot 2k yds with much less recoil, powder, and barrel wear. If you are shooting in my area at 147ft ASL, you may need a little more.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

Thanks, yeah I forgot about the barrel wear factor. There ARE some big advantages to that smaller round. Shorter action, lighter weight (to carry) ammo, etc.

They do seem pretty cheap both in rifles and ammo I'm sure I'll get one. Before the magnum. There again is it possible me to get a chassis that can switch easily from .308 to 6.5/6mm creedmoor? What's a decent rig to start with savage, ruger SR25, M77, rem 700 (), Howa etc? One thing I really like about the savages are they come with a decent Drake aluminum stock highly modular with AR furniture, blueprinted actions​ custom fit bolts, it's pretty much the one rifle I've seen that I don't even think I'd need to, or want to upgrade.

And even better... I can buy the .308 or 6.5 Creed for the smaller one and buy the exact same chassis and setup for the magnum even up to .338LM. seeing how I'm just getting into long range I'd like to do all my research and make good choices on equipment well before I actually commit. And that way when I spend enormous amounts of time at the range practicing I'm building on techniques on muscle memory that I don't plan on really changing ever hopefully. So what I'm trying to say is it's a foundation that I can grow and build on and can get them setup fairly close to my semi auto furniture as well for familiarity.
              Yes if your picking up that I am biased against Remington..You are correct. I can't wait to see them go out of business and they deserve it if you ask me! Both for management and legal cop outs. I don't dislike the Mauser based actions though. They just tend to be spendy. And I'm not looking for a major project, I have enough of those. Just want a decent factory setup I can upgrade later, or even better don't really need to upgrade ever. I'd really rather put more money into optics than rifles.

Any recommendations?
              Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• ricsmall
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

The savage would be a solid choice if you can use same chassis for Creed and the 338 lapua. I've only shot one RPR in creed and it was scary accurate. The guy that owns it has taken it out to 1400 a couple times down here at 150ft ASL. It will use several different magazine patterns, which is a big plus, but can't to my knowledge take the 338 size rounds. I'm drawing a blank on the nomenclature but savage has a newer chassis rifle they came out with that is super nice, you may check it out.

Richard

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

Meh. Thanks everyone, but I'll have to take the long path and do the research. Sounds like some Savage's have been a little bit and miss but pretty accurate and best budget deal over all. I'll probably end up getting the new 10BA Stealth and at least giving it a solid tire kicking. If it doesn't pan out I can always sell it. Going to need ALOT more money for my IOR Valdada crusader (hopefully) and related tackle. Sounds like the 700 long actions are pretty iffy. I don't need the best of the best but I try and buy so I don't skimp on quality. To me the optic is WAY more important than the rifle itself. Many MANY years down the road i can get into all the custom stuff. I plan on (hopefully) doing the LRP thing for quite a while.

But for now I don't have enough time, money, or room to buy multiple rifles and need the best multi role "Goldilocks" rifle for long range.
                  Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 04-13-2017, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• ricsmall
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Try this. I think you'll be pleased with the creedmore. I have a custom 260 AI that I can shoot consistently out to 1400 yds. Have shot to 1600 but it starts getting iffy at my altitude. Then too you may just want a larger caliber. Same friend of mine that has the RPR also has a savage chassis setup, 10 BA I think, it shoots half minute out to 800 so far. Lots of choices now days. If you plan on long range elk or similar, go with the 300 win mag or similar.

ETA : added link https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ecision-rifle/

Richard

Comment

• IceAxe
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

TPJS, you might consider the Burgara line (http://www.bergarausa.com). They offer a couple of chassis that are very reasonable, like just over a thousand. What you get is a chassis with a Rem 700 foot printed receiver made by them, a toroidal bolt face and the lapped barrel mounts via the Savage nut system. Oh and they really shoot.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Ice man, that looks like a very solid contender. Initial impressions are VERY close to ideal for what I'm looking for. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Ive always had amazing luck with the tried and true r700 actions.

I've tried more cartridges than I dare admit... everything from 22-250AI to 338 Edge for my hunting and long range requirements, and when the dust was settled it is a 260 Remington thay I kept and continue to use. Fun, very low recoil, and stupid effective. Taken that cartridge to 1350 yards with amazing results. Last fall I harvested a 200 lbs black bear, a 850 pound bull moose and 246 pound whitetail all with a 260 Rem pushing a 143 ELD-X at a mild 2800 fps.

We had to usend our blue lacy to track down 2 bull moose thay were shot by both a 300 WSM and a 300 wm. Decent shots but the bulls ran 100-200 yards before laying down to expire..... just saying =p

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

Thanks kil, just the type of info I'm looking for. Thanks for the detailed write up.

Comment

• IceAxe
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

An interesting note about the Burgara....the chief consultant in helping them get into firearms was Ed Shillen. Another thing I like in their design of their 700 clone receiver is the bolt release, they put it on the upper left side of the receiver. Also the chassis takes Magpul ASIS magazines which can be had at a reasonable price.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X