TNW CQB upper w/gas piston system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNW CQB upper w/gas piston system

I picked up a few of these uppers. TNW is great when it comes to there belt fed guns. They were having trouble giving me in depth answers regarding the AR uppers. There is a 6.5 grendel barrel available. I am currently working to get a 20" SS barrel and bolt for my project. I was shocked to find mixed reviews online regarding the uppers. I have not been able to find a better quick change upper for the price. You really can't beat it if you are a fan of the piston system. I have fired the 5.56 extensively and never had a problem w/carrier tilt. I like the reduced carbon and heat. As long as you clean and lube occasionally everything runs flawlessly. Anyway, I will be picking up the Grendel barrel/bolt ASAP and enjoying the rest of my summer. I am keeping 1 and hoping to sell the other 2 I have to help fund project. Price for the complete uppers in 5.56 with piston set up and bolt,carrier,etc. is $725.00 ea. These are brand new coyote tan powdercoat w/M4 profile 16" barrel. Barrels and bolts are currently available at TNW in 6.8SPC 7.62x39 6.5 Grendel and a few more. I should have a direct line on them soon. I will post a price for 6.5 bolt/barrel when I can get them in my hands. If you are interested pm I will be happy to talk more about these. I am just a hobbiest, so I won't have these available indefinitely.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2012, 04:39 AM.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Looks cool. How well does that quick change system hold for accuracy? Do they work with standard lowers?
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

That's a Nice looking upper. I am curious about the accuracy too. And what it's that just at the bottom of the hand guard, or in front of the brass ejection port, it looks like something hanging out of the side like a Charging handle. I'm looking at it on a cell phone, so it may be easy to identify on a monitor?. Eric

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tooreal View Post
        That's a Nice looking upper. I am curious about the accuracy too. And what it's that just at the bottom of the hand guard, or in front of the brass ejection port, it looks like something hanging out of the side like a Charging handle. I'm looking at it on a cell phone, so it may be easy to identify on a monitor?. Eric
        Release lever for the barrel.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

These uppers will work w/most of the lowers. There is so much AR stuff on the market Its never a good idea to say all. TNW offers a 20" and 24" stainless barrel for pinpoint accuracy. I am trying to get my hands on more of the barrels and bolts available. Accuracy is fine w/the 16" I am patiently waiting to try the 6.5 set up. The barrels are very stable and the locks work very well. It is nice to be able to change barrels w/the tip of a bullet or a key.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2012, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I found the mfgs for 6.5 bolts and barrels. I will contact them tommorrow to figure out pricing. There should be some stuff on youtube for the TNW cqb upper for those of you who like to dig.

Comment

Who manufactures these uppers? TNW?

Comment

TNW is making th upper rec. and rail system along with the piston system I believe. The barrels are shaw and another company in IL is making the bolts and carriers.

Comment

If everything is mil spec and will fit on a lower and takes standard barrels. I just need the upper receiver and front Forearm,I have barrels, lowers and everything else that I need, I think?
                  It sure would make it easy to have 1 Gun and several different caliber barrels..

Comment

I'm game.......put me down for one for sure if you can get the grendel barrels and bolts. Should be a fun project. I'll PM you my info.

Jim Lowell
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I am having trouble getting parts. No one has anything in stock as far as bolts go. I did sell the 3 uppers I had. I may get more but I will post them in misc I have not had any luck with a 6.5 kit yet. Right now I can get 5.56/223 and there is 1 6.8spc available.

Comment

• Hawk Pilot

I owned one of TNW QCB in 556 and was very pleased with the quality...the only issue, if an issue at all, that you'll experience is one of having a TNW gas piston system on all of the barrels you will want to swap out.

If you are looking for a 556 companion that's built like a tank...this will fit the bill. it's not a lightweight. I put about 3000 rounds through mine without a glitch yet still gravitated back to my more featherweight thunder sticks...because after adding a foregrip, optics and BUIS...I needed a hummer to carry it around. It now has a new home.

Centerfire Systems still lists them for sale but Military Gun Supply no longer carries them....here's a link to a published review-
                        By David Crane defrev (at) gmail (dot) com July 27, 2011 DefenseReview first became aware of the TNW SGP-QCB (System Gas Piston-Quick Change Barrel) 5.56x45mm NATO (5.56mm NATO)/.223 Rem. gas piston/op-rod tactical AR carbine/SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) weapons/upper receiver assemblies in December 2009 in a NorthwestFirearms.com forum thread. We subsequently did some additional research on the system in early June 2010, but got side-tracked with other things. Cut to the present, and SWAT Magazine just published a cover piece by Jerry Cannon on the system in their Sepetember 2011 issue. Designed and developed by the boys at TNW Firearms, Inc., the TNW SGP-QCB quick-change barrel system utilizes a dual-lever cam system that's reminiscent of the Lewis-Machine & Tool Monolithic Rail Platform Quick Change Barrel (LMT MRP-QCB) and MGI MARCK-15 HYDRA QCB-C systems. The primary goal of the TNW QCB system would appear to be to create a mission-configurable weapon that …

I still have the TNW GPS on two of my AR platforms and couldn't be happier with the performance...their one piece gas piston bolt carriers are the way to go.

This post isn't meant in anyway to shed an unfavorable light on the product I'm just adding to to information pool because I have a great deal of first hand knowlwdge about the system and designers.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need additional info...

HOOAH! GO ARMY

Comment

• Hawk Pilot

I owned one of TNW QCB in 556 and was very pleased with the quality...the only issue, if an issue at all, that you'll experience is one of having a TNW gas piston system on all of the barrels you will want to swap out.

If you are looking for a 556 companion that's built like a tank...this will fit the bill. it's not a lightweight. I put about 3000 rounds through mine without a glitch yet still gravitated back to my more featherweight thunder sticks...because after adding a foregrip, optics and BUIS...I needed a hummer to carry it around. It now has a new home.

Centerfire Systems still lists them for sale but Military Gun Supply no longer carries them....here's a link to a published review-
                          By David Crane defrev (at) gmail (dot) com July 27, 2011 DefenseReview first became aware of the TNW SGP-QCB (System Gas Piston-Quick Change Barrel) 5.56x45mm NATO (5.56mm NATO)/.223 Rem. gas piston/op-rod tactical AR carbine/SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) weapons/upper receiver assemblies in December 2009 in a NorthwestFirearms.com forum thread. We subsequently did some additional research on the system in early June 2010, but got side-tracked with other things. Cut to the present, and SWAT Magazine just published a cover piece by Jerry Cannon on the system in their Sepetember 2011 issue. Designed and developed by the boys at TNW Firearms, Inc., the TNW SGP-QCB quick-change barrel system utilizes a dual-lever cam system that's reminiscent of the Lewis-Machine & Tool Monolithic Rail Platform Quick Change Barrel (LMT MRP-QCB) and MGI MARCK-15 HYDRA QCB-C systems. The primary goal of the TNW QCB system would appear to be to create a mission-configurable weapon that …

I still have the TNW GPS on two of my AR platforms and couldn't be happier with the performance...their one piece gas piston bolt carriers are the way to go.

This post isn't meant in anyway to shed an unfavorable light on the product I'm just adding to to information pool because I have a great deal of first hand knowlwdge about the system and designers.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need additional info...

HOOAH! GO ARMY

Comment

Working...
                          X