X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fdbyrne78
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Thank you for the input. I reached out to Satern but I haven't heard back yet. The timing isn't very good. I need that rifle for deer season in 4 weeks and I was still working up a load for it.

Comment

• jurassic
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Precision firearms offered to fix them for $75.00 at one point.

I have two Satern Barrels that have the same problem, I bought a piloted Manson throat reamer since I've had similar problems with other makes of barrels. I just fixed one barrel, but have yet to shoot it since I built the upper. The Faxon 12" group buy and 2 different Ballistic advantage barrels have not had any problems with Hornady SST ammo which is known to have a long ogive.

I kept the Satern barrels because I've seen how they shoot with hand loads of Barnes TTSX 100 gr bullets and TAC first hand, a perfect deer load in my neck of the swamp. SST's are not our favorite around here.

I Just bought a reloading setup so I probably won't "scrape" anymore barrels.

Comment

• Mopardoctor
        Warrior
        • Apr 2015

I just purchased a 24" Brownells/Satern barrel and here are some measurements from my barrel.

123G SST Factory load 2.238" COAL
        Maximum 123G SST freebore length 2.333"

129G SST maximum freebore length 2.383"

.091" gas port.

Looks like the 123G SST factory load has .095 jump space.

Mopar Doctor
        Last edited by Mopardoctor; 10-26-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• fdbyrne78
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Mopardoctor View Post
          I just purchased a 24" Brownells/Satern barrel and here are some measurements from my barrel.

123G SST Factory load 2.238" COAL
          Maximum 123G SST freebore length 2.333"

129G SST maximum freebore length 2.383"

.091" gas port.

Looks like the 123G SST factory load has .095 jump space.

Mopar Doctor
          Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I've emailed and called Satern and not heard back from them at all. I'm disappointed with the customer service for sure. I'm a FFL dealer and I'm set up with Satern as a dealer. I figured they would jump at the chance to help me since I'm selling their product.

So far, I've just been loading my SSTs short. The accuracy is promising but I haven't shot it enough to really make any conclusions yet.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I've finish-reamed at least 2 Cut-Rifled Satern barrels before that had shorter throats. Once they were finish-reamed, they were fine with factory COL on SSTs.

Before that, they required a cleaning rod to remove the cartridges.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• fdbyrne78
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              I've finish-reamed at least 2 Cut-Rifled Satern barrels before that had shorter throats. Once they were finish-reamed, they were fine with factory COL on SSTs.

Before that, they required a cleaning rod to remove the cartridges.
              I've done some research on that. I'm comfortable taking it on myself, but I haven't found much information online.

Is it as simple as getting the right finish reamer, putting the barrel in a vise, using cutting fluid, and taking a little at a time until it's long enough? Is there any risk of accidentally cutting it at an angle and messing up the barrel or anything?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by fdbyrne78 View Post
                I've done some research on that. I'm comfortable taking it on myself, but I haven't found much information online.

Is it as simple as getting the right finish reamer, putting the barrel in a vise, using cutting fluid, and taking a little at a time until it's long enough? Is there any risk of accidentally cutting it at an angle and messing up the barrel or anything?
                There isn't really a way to screw up the alignment because the chamber is already cut with their finish reamer.

Biggest mistake people make is backing the reamer out opposite of the cutting flute direction.

I just used oil and lightly cleaned the throat, with a Manson floating pilot reamer with cutting fluid channels in it.

I then polished the chamber with a large bore brush, polishing compound, patches, and a drill, pushing and pulling quickly with the drill, instead of just letting it spin radially.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

Thank you.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Is it a problem that I only want to touch the throat and not the rest of the chamber? I don't want to end up with excessive head space in the process.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

You would have to really grind down on it to move your headspace.

The reamer I have has a floating pilot that fits into the rifling.

If the chamber has a short throat, it will only cut the lead just a tad longer, without messing with anything else.

Some of the leades that were cast showed origin right at the mouth of the neck area, which is why bullets were jamming the lands.

It happens with incorrect reamers and worn reamers running ragged way past their last leg.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• fdbyrne78
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X